PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Degu tail crisis!

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

17degus

Degu tail crisis!

Postby 17degus » Wed May 25, 2016 3:23 pm

the tips of some of the babies tails are missing their sling and are just red. I have found the fur of the tails in the cage. Very disturbing! I have separated the ones missing tails into a different cage (4) and their are 3 with intact tails in another cage. Any advice?? How can I tell which Degu is coining it and why? They are about 8 weekes old.
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham
17degus

Re: Degu tail crisis!

Postby 17degus » Wed May 25, 2016 3:26 pm

image.jpeg

Picture. Sorry for the awful quality
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed May 25, 2016 6:44 pm

You can read on the care for the degloved tail here http://www.degutopia.co.uk/deguhold.htm It's the second section.

You may not ever know exactly what happened but some things to consider are if there is overcrowding, not enough enrichment, just plain incompatibility among certain individuals, too much change in environment or some stressful (to them) activity in the home. Keep in mind that a degu with an intact tail is not necessarily an aggressor. You'll want to keep a watch on interactions and behavior. I know degus will fur pull but not sure if self degloving the tail is included in that.

Sorry I don't have more suggestions/info. I only have experience with degus who had their tail pulled off by a person.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed May 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Oh no! Consider antibiotic ointment that includes an analgesic. I wish you weren't so far away. If you give me detailed information about your location, I'll try to help find someone to foster, or maybe get some of them adopted. Have you contacted all the local pet stores? 17! Such a difficult situation. :(
17degus

Postby 17degus » Thu May 26, 2016 2:14 am

We have washed the tails in an antibiotic solution, and the tails are going black and falling off. (Just the damaged bits) so that's good. Thanks so much for the offer to help, But I live in a pretty small town in the highlands so. We have adverts up online but so fare no takers. Nightmare situation.
Hopefuly there will be no more tails removed.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 26, 2016 1:25 pm

That's good they're going necrotic. Sometimes weird stuff happens even if you take all the necessary precautions.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “RODENTS”