PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

finding lemmings?

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vata Raven

finding lemmings?

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:10 am

I have been looking into small rodents I could breed for treats. Mice and rats are the common thing to feed, but due to where the exotic lives, lemmings are a big part of their diet. So, I figured, maybe find a rodent that fits their home land.

Any clues where I can buy a pair lemmings to breed? I keep finding listing from those in the UK, but I can't see that shipping situation going too well.

Thanks for the help.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: finding lemmings?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:56 pm

Maybe in Animal Finders guide, but I'm not a subscriber so don't know but harder to find things are sometimes listed in there.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:43 pm

I don't have anything to add regarding the lemmings, but may I ask what species you're thinking of? :)))
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:03 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Maybe in Animal Finders guide, but I'm not a subscriber so don't know but harder to find things are sometimes listed in there.

Thank you for the suggestion. Makes me wonder if they're...I don't know, illegal, or I imagine they would come up in a simple search. I think, they are considered an exotic; only really found in the Arctic.

Ash wrote:I don't have anything to add regarding the lemmings, but may I ask what species you're thinking of? :)))

Arctic fox, figure I'll put in the effort of feeding it the animals that's it's native to. Plan to only get one, so might as well spoil the thing, or try anyway.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:10 pm

I found a breeder in TX and one in Canada but both seem to no longer be breeding them.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/Critter/ is probably the new site but doesn't mention them ----> http://www.crittersexoticpets.com/

way out of date
http://www.heritage-pets.com/id18.html
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:33 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:I found a breeder in TX and one in Canada but both seem to no longer be breeding them.

Ah, well, thanks for looking. Like I said, I did find them for sale on UK sites, but I'm not sure if they could survive the shipping or if they should even be shipped.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:24 pm

Oh, okay. I was wondering if it was for the arctic or for something else you hadn't mentioned. :) Thanks.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:32 am

Ash wrote:Oh, okay. I was wondering if it was for the arctic or for something else you hadn't mentioned. :) Thanks.

Maybe I'll add, Wyoming would be cold enough year around (or at least 6 months of the year) to house other arctic types. Haven't really looked into what other animals are in the Arctic lands. I'm more of a canine person, so I think I'm limiting myself. Arctic bunny?

My mom wants a wolf or claims to want one, lol, but pretty sure she's joking. Honestly, I wouldn't want to pay the feeding cost of a wolf. Even if they were legal in the state...they are big and they eat a lot.

I will continue my search in breeding rodents. Might be limited to rats and mice, sadly, but plan to couple that with rabbits, and whatever else I plan to raise.

Return to “RODENTS”