PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Post here for food and snack ideas

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby pat » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Nutritional discoveries of what your rodent companions like to eat.

Lets share some info on this subject...
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
wayderz

Postby wayderz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:30 am

:D Wheat crackers
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:11 am

-Sunflower seeds
-Carrots (in tiny pieces cut up)
-Apples (" ")
-Grass? (One time I took a past hamster outside and it nibbled on grass)
-Spiders. :) (Well, we seem to get spiders in the basement, and I'm supposed to clean them up- and my hamsters eat them, they like them, I guess they're tasty, so I give them to them. Hah. )

Sorry, I don't got much - I try not to experiment too much...
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:33 am

I saw Martino eat a spider once while he was running around the bathroom. It was funny that he knew not to eat the fangs and venom sacks, he also spat out or ate around the legs. . . :?

Anyways, here's my list for Mongolian gerbils:

- bread (given sparingly, it's very fattening for them)
- bananas
- apples
- pears
- plums
- grapes
- cherries
- blackberries
- corn
- peas (these they really love, cooked or fresh!)
- lettuce
- potatoes
- spinach
- turnips
- rice
- dandelion leaves
- clover (another all time favourite!)
- grass
- pine nuts
- peanuts
- macadamia nuts
- hazel nuts
- pecans

All nuts should be unsalted, and acidic fruits or veggies should only be given sparingly as rare treats, as they may cause some gerbils to have serious diarrhoea.
RIP Martino, I'm sure Olivia misses you.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:29 am

I'm not sure about most other rats, but mine enjoy a nibble of Ramen Noodle once in a while. They go nuts for a strand of it, though I only give them a little once in a blue moon. That stuff'll kill ya with sodium :lol:

They also like those hanging sticks of seeds and dried fruit, they sell them in two packs at my local pet store, can't remember what they're called. They look like little corn-cobs when they're done with them, haha.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby Juska » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:29 pm

I just bought a big container of parrot seed/mix and mixed it with a box of lab blocks. The rats seem to like it...Total comes to about $8 for about 6lbs of food, rather than $7 for a 2lb bag of rat/mouse seed mix!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Our squirrel Sabrina, is a fiend for bananas, carrots, tomatoes, orange bits, and snow peas.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
just_curious

Postby just_curious » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:06 pm

I don't recommend feeding hamsters and other rodents lots of fruits and vegetables because of the amount of water in them, it can give a rodent wet tail. I would stay away from cheese even though mice and rats love it. My hamster (Captain Nibbles) likes to chew on the top of her cage. I fixed this problem by taking the cardboard roll in the middle of toilet paper and squish it till it's shaped like a square tube. I then cut each crease about 1/4 of an inch down on all sides, top and bottom. That's a total of eight small incisions. I fold the bottom "flaps" like I would fold a card board box. I then fill the tube with hay, her normal food and Gerber puffs. They are small, easy to digest and dissolve quickly so IF (and I mean if, it's a very small chance) she does swallow it whole, it won't choke her because it breaks up easily. I use blue berry and banana flavored puffs meant for toddlers. After the roll is filled I seal the top of it and cut small holes in the middle, this way she knows there's treats in there. It gives her something to do so she isn't bored all the time. Other treats I give her (that are nutritious and dry) are oats, unsalted sunflower seeds (shell is fine) and dried fruits (cranberries, raisins, etc.) Also Ritz crackers or cheese itz with the salt brushed off. NOTE: RASPBERRY LEAVES ARE GOOD TO FEED RODENTS IF THEY HAVE WET TAIL

Some foods to never feed your rodents are almonds, apple seeds, lemon, onions, pickles and any stones in fruits like plums and apricots. NO YOGURT.
Sorry for such a long post, hope this helped!
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Just_curious: Some rodents, like rats and guinea pigs, should definitely have fresh veggies every day and fruits at least once per week. It should equal about 1 cup of veggies per guinea pig and about 1/2 cup per rat per day given.

Hamsters can also have veggies every day, just in appropriate size amounts like 1/4 cup per day. Fruits aren't as good to give except for the occasional treat because of the risk of diabetes in hamsters. Dried fruits are definitely worse for this and should be extremely limited.

No rodents except hamsters get wet tail.

Yogurt is good in very small quantities for rats and hamsters, they are not herbivores like some other rodents. Egg, cheese, whole wheat pasta, etc. are all good options for hamsters and rats too. Even chocolate can be given to rats in small quantities, the chemical in chocolate that poisons almost all other animals does not poison rats.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
just_curious

Postby just_curious » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:43 pm

BlueBaby1023 wrote:Just_curious: Some rodents, like rats and guinea pigs, should definitely have fresh veggies every day and fruits at least once per week. It should equal about 1 cup of veggies per guinea pig and about 1/2 cup per rat per day given.

Hamsters can also have veggies every day, just in appropriate size amounts like 1/4 cup per day. Fruits aren't as good to give except for the occasional treat because of the risk of diabetes in hamsters. Dried fruits are definitely worse for this and should be extremely limited.

No rodents except hamsters get wet tail.

Yogurt is good in very small quantities for rats and hamsters, they are not herbivores like some other rodents. Egg, cheese, whole wheat pasta, etc. are all good options for hamsters and rats too. Even chocolate can be given to rats in small quantities, the chemical in chocolate that poisons almost all other animals does not poison rats.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I personally don't want to give my hamsters even 1/4 cup of vegetables, because I have seen the feces change from normal pellets to a watery mush and I don't think it's best for my little buddies.
I have had mice in the past though, and my last one who was an albino was very sick. I had to put him down but even the doctor told me he had wet tail. It's more likely for a hamster to get it but gerbils, rats and mice can as well. Wet tail is a disease in the animals intenstines.
Some symptoms:
Smell/ foul odor
Diarrhea
Lethargy
Lack of appetite
Excess sleeping
Walking with a hunched back
Protruding rectum caused by straining

I also have no need to feed rats/mice/hamsters chocolate or yogurt. I will try cooked pasta cut in small bits though, and I will look up more information about diabetes in hamsters just to know what's best not to give.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:01 pm

re:Wet Tail
Wet tail is a disease of young Syrian hamsters. Diarrhea in other hamsters, other rodents and adult Syrians is not wet tail. All hamster diarrhea used to be labeled wet tail but we now know that this is incorrect.

As far as diabetes goes Syrians and robos are not prone to it like other species. If they get a little extra fruit or other sweet not usually a problem. Not everyday of course.

For veggie frequency three servings a week appears to work as well as everyday for those afraid of causing diarrhea.
BlueBaby-just wondering if there was a source for the 1/4 cup or if you were estimating. Without getting a measuring cup out to check, it seems a bit much.

Almonds-Sweet almonds (the type we buy at the store) can be processed in small amounts by hamsters. Never feed in the shell and don't feed an entire almond but it is fine to share the occasional slice or sliver. Bitter almonds (don't know if they are available for purchase) are a never treat.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Wet tail can be mistaken for many things, but true wet tail only occurs in hamsters. A lot of people, even vets, misdiagnose any diarrhea from rodents as wet tail, but it isn't. :)

I guess I should state, it is important to give time for the digestive system to adapt to a new diet. You couldn't give large amounts all at once and expect them to not have diarrhea, but gradually introducing veggies in small amounts should not upset their tummies without an underlying condition.

Pasta can be cooked or raw, but raw tends to be a bit harder for them to chew. I would not feed hamsters chocolate, I believe it is poisonous like it is to most other creatures. Only rats and mice can eat it, I believe. Yogurt is a good probiotic protein source, so if you're ever having trouble with diarrhea small amounts of it will help replenish gut microbes. Only plain yogurt, though, for that. Other flavors in very small amounts are good for treats.

Minervasden: I was just estimating, and it would definitely depend on the hamster species and size. I've seen male Syrians that are almost as large as my female rats, and I've also seen female dwarfs that are smaller than mice. I wasn't thinking of a packed quarter cup, either. A small (1/2inx1/2in) square of bell pepper, a small sprig of broccoli, and a quarter of a baby carrot is a size I've seen given to Syrians typically.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
just_curious

Postby just_curious » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:45 pm

Wait. I'm really confused now. Everywhere I read it says wet tail can occur in mice. If it's just diarrhea then whats the difference between a hamster with the runs and one with wet tail? Don't both produce runny feces? And the symptons are the same arn't they not? I'm not saying you arn't wrong, I'd just like to know the difference and why the hell nobody just said diarrhea in the first place. It's easier then all these special names.. you don't say a dog has wet tail but the tail gets "wet".
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:48 pm

I figured you were estimating BlueBaby but wanted to double check. The other amounts were right on target.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:40 pm

just_curious: Wet tail is a specific disease, diarrhea is a general term. Think of it this way, you can have vomiting for many reasons like food poisoning, eating something toxic, an underlying disease like an ulcer, etc. The same is true for diarrhea. Diarrhea can be due to wet tail, but it can also be due to other diseases. Wet tail is a hamster specific disease, and it does not occur in any other rodents ever.

The reason why it's confusing is because it used to be thought that all diarrhea in hamsters was due to the disease wet tail. Now, with more research and information available we know that not all diarrhea is due to wet tail.

Minervasden: No problem, guinea pigs and rats are a bit easier to judge sizes for since they are all the same species so they are closer in size and metabolic needs, where as there are five species of hamster that are all over the spectrum.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes