ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Post here for food and snack ideas

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby minervasden » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:27 am

My syrians love fresh parsley, cheerios, hardboiled egg white or a small bit of scrambled egg, Cooked chicken, Mini millet sprays, cat grass, banana and most of the fruits/veggies already mentioned. Also a veggie bird biscuit that I don't remember the brand. Sometimes break up a fancy dog biscuit (not to be confused with their chew biscuit for dental health).

A special treat for rats was we had pancake day once a month. I'd make quarter sized pancakes that each had a blueberry. A big hit with the rats although a bit of a hassle to make as I always had more than a few rats.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
chinchillawhiskers

Postby chinchillawhiskers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:14 am

Hiya,

I live in Dubai, the UAE, and we only have a few suppliers of brand name foods, and seeing as they are the only suppliers, they tend to charge whatever they like. Having 20+ chinchillas makes this very expensive.
After loads of research and losing a chinchilla to chronic digestive issues I decided to make the leap to a hay only diet for my chins, degu and my sister's rabbits (although they get fresh veggies everyday)

For those of you who might not know, most herbivorous rodents are perfectly adapted to a low-quality, high fiber diet. This is often why they re-ingest some of their droppings, to get the most nutrition out of it.

I currently feed my chins, degus and rabbits on local hay (it's like timothy) and alfalfa on a rotating schedule, i.e. local one day, alfalfa the next, from the local goat/camel/cow market. I also buy mountain or meadow hay from pet shops every so often to give them a change, they particularly like the Vitacraft brand.

The rabbits get fresh veggies daily, the degu get a spoonful of oats, seeds, nuts in shell (one each) or the occasional naughty sweet - sugary cereal. My chinchillas get a small piece of ryvita crackers, spoonful of oats or sugar free cereal like shredded wheat. For the degu and chinchillas it's a treat, and it means I can manipulate them into doing what I want :mrgreen: for the rabbits it's necessary. Everyone also gets a bit of fresh branches or leaves occasionally as a treat. We have "tropical" trees, so they get Indian Almond, Buttonwood and Moringa Branches.

Since I have switched to hay only my chinchillas and degu have had the following changes:

Sleep Better
Better Mood
No Fighting or Arguing (unless someone pinches a piece of cracker)
Shiny Coats
Lost weight, they are now muscular and smooth, not soft and flabby
Teeth problems have evaporated almost overnight
Less stress behaviours
No digestive issues

I wish I had taken some before and after photos, because the change is amazing. I would definitely recommend feeding a more natural diet to chinchillas and degu, and don't let the pet-food companies scare you into thinking you aren't giving them the best. My chinchillas and Degu have been on this diet for about 1 and a half years now, and they have never done better.

If you have any questions let me know.

Alex
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Yeah, i dont have rodents, but i do i have 11 adult rabbits, and 10 kits right now, all of which i feed highest grade timothy hay, and organic food made in small batches with about 5 ingredients. I've gotten rabbits with horrible coats, and they just puff right up in a week or two.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf

Return to “RODENTS”