PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Juska is back, this time with rats! (pictures)

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Juska is back, this time with rats! (pictures)

Postby Juska » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Some of you might remember the thread I made a long while back about getting some rats as pets. I lived at home then, and of course my parents wouldn't allow it, so I settled with the "you can have them when you have your own place."

Well, now I do, and welcoming two boy rats into our home was one of the best things that's ever happened to me :D

The black/white one is Johnny, and the beige is Dracula (named so because he is a nipper and has ruby eyes)

Johnny is a real sweetheart, he'll sit on your shoulder and lick your ears, or your fingers when you stick them through the bars (I reinforced the "stuff that comes through the bars is not food" rule).

Dracula is a bit skittish and tends to hide and scurry away when contact is made. I'm breaking him in though.

I got them at about 5-7 weeks old, and now they're nice, plump ratties that like to be handled and love to play. I'm a proud rat mom :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:52 pm

That's good news. They sound nice.
astargirl22

Postby astargirl22 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:03 pm

too cute
~PROUD PARENT OF A SPOILED LITTLE SWIFT FOX NAMED BELLA AND A HANDSOME CHILL MARBLE FOX NAMED BARRETT~
Zombie_Doll

Postby Zombie_Doll » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Aw, they're so cute! I can't wait till I can move out and get rats of my own.

(Of course, I might still try to convince my parents to let me have rats, it probably won't work. :roll: )
Juska

Re: Juska is back, this time with rats! (pictures)

Postby Juska » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:50 pm

I made a Facebook page for Johnny, Dracula and Scorpio, in their point of view. If anyone wants to check it out or "like" them, here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Johnny-Dr ... 2469069726

I plan on updating it a few times a day with what they're doing and such, playing out their unique personalities will be fun :)
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 pm

I remember when I had my rats. They were the coolest, most affectionate pets I had when I was a kid.

Dracula is beautiful! His color looks a bit creamy. He reminds me of one of the ones I used to have.

I'll have to go "like" the facebook page!
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks, I'll try to keep up some humorous posts to brighten people's day :)
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Got some nice pictures up of the boys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Akuma223

Postby Akuma223 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:01 pm

What pretty rats you have! I miss having rats so bad, I loved mine when I had them. Patches, sandy, nip were my first ones. I got patches when I was about 5 maybe 6 then got the other two. After they died I got Spot and violet. I would so get some again if I weren't saving up for a fennec.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Awh, they're so cute! I've never had a fully beige rat before...never even seen one in person, actually. I really want a blue colored rat someday.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:17 pm

I'd like a seal-point one and a few more hooded ones, in different colors. But I'm probably not going to have rats after these guys aren't around anymore.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 pm

I've had both siamese and himalayan rats. They're so cute! I'm assuming that's what you mean by seal-point anyway. I don't know the color names very well. Hooded rats are about all you can find in my area, at least if you were to go to a Petco. Almost every single rat is a black and white hooded. They're cute, though, don't get me wrong! I try not to buy pet store rats if I can help it, as there are so many in shelters and such needing homes. Why no more rats?
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I just like hooded rats, I guess, no matter what color they are. I like black, blue and fawn/beige as far as colors go.

Not having a job right now and the fact that it's going to be very hard to say goodbye to my boys when they go are contributing factors to not getting any more rats. That, and they're not "easy" pets to care for, like most people would believe. They do cost a fair bit of money to house and keep properly. And lugging their cage outside every week to clean it is a pain. But while I have them, I intend to do it, but I don't think I could go for another 3-4 years with a new group.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:23 pm

I do like hooded rats also. My favorite "colors" are probably blue, hairless, and siamese...if those are considered simply "colors".

Yeah, I know how the joblessness goes. I'm working on finding something but there isn't much out there, and what seems to be available is something I've already done and got tired of/burned out on. AKA retail. I've never really thought of rats being terribly challenging but now that you mention it, I realize they're not "easy" like people think. They need their out time each day, lots of toys and stimulation, and a good cleaning of the cage at least once a week. I've only taken my cages outside once or twice to spray them out. I normally get a bucket or something and fill it with hot water and vinegar and wipe out the cages with a rag. It works okay. I'd say a dog is an easier pet than rats, though not less expensive than rats.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:24 am

Came home around 9:45 tonight; checked the rats and noticed only Scorpio and Dracula came to the cage door. I found Johnny lying inside his hammock.

We don't know when it happened or why, but we're hoping he just fell asleep sometime today while we were gone, and passed away peacefully. He was a little over two years old.

Rest in peace my little fuzzy baby, Matt and I miss you and we loved you so much.

Return to “RODENTS”