Party Animal Dog Food Recall of April 2017

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Party Animal Dog Food Recall of April 2017

Postby Juska » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:00 am

From http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... pril-2017/

"April 17, 2017 — Party Animal, Inc. has announced it is recalling specific lots of two varieties of its Cocolicious canned dog foods because they have each tested positive for the euthanasia drug, pentobarbital.

What’s Being Recalled?
The following products are affected by the recall:
Cocolicious Beef and Turkey
Size: 12 ounce cans
Lot Number: 0136E15204 04
Best By Date: July 2019

Cocolicious Chicken and Beef
Size: 12 ounce cans
Lot Number: 0134E15 237 13
Best By Date: August 2019

What Caused the Recall?
According to a statement posted on the company’s website and its Facebook page:
The safety of pets is and always will be our first priority. We sincerely regret the reports of the discomfort experienced by the pet who consumed this food.
As pet parents ourselves, we take this matter seriously.
On April 13, a retailer in Texas notified us that their customer had presented samples of our Cocolicious Beef and Turkey Lot #0136E15204 04 and Cocolicious Chicken and Beef Lot #0134E15 237 13 to a testing lab, and that the results had tested positive for pentobarbital.
We have requested those results.
When we were notified, we immediately tracked the lot numbers of the food in question and determined that the food had been manufactured and distributed in 2015.
We then contacted the two probable retailers that had sold the customer the food and asked them to isolate all remaining cans from these lots.
We also requested that the retailers send all of the cans from those lots to us so that we can forward them on to an accredited independent laboratory for independent testing.
We expect to receive the receive the results in 7 to 10 days.
We first saw the formal report from the lab at Texas A&M regarding the customer’s samples, today, April 17.
Out of an abundance of caution, we are retrieving the remainder of these two lots nationwide.
We are working with our distributors and retailers to determine if any additional beef-flavored products manufactured during this 2015 production period remain on shelves and, if so, to retrieve them from shelves, immediately, as well.

What to Do?
Consumers with questions may contact the company by phone at 855-727-8926 or by email at info@partyanimalpetfood.com.
U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area.
Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints.
Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form."
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Party Animal Dog Food Recall of April 2017

Postby pat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:57 am

Juska,
thank you for info.
this is crazy, so many dog foods have recalls. why aren't some of these places inspected :twisted:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 am

What I'm wondering is how pentobarbital is getting into food at a food manufacturing plant. That is the chemical they use to euthanize animals. Barring some weird reason they'd just have that laying around at the factory, it seems to me that someone is trying to kill pets by contaminating food in the manufacturing process. This is not the first time nor the first brand this has happened with this year:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=13857&p=131986&hilit=pentobarbital#p131986
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=13838&p=131823&hilit=pentobarbital#p131823

It seems the recalls are happening to food made in 2015-16. I'm thinking a group of people may have done this back in 2015 in manufacturing plants that were targeted...
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:26 pm

The past ones all the meat came from the same supplier of "beef" possible they cut corners and used horse and whoever supplied the supplier with horse used ones euthanized instead of died naturally or shot.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Yeah, that does make sense of how it could get into the food. I was just thinking that and wanted to ask about it here...But I would think a meat dealer like that would use the cheapest method of euthanization possible, like compressed air or a bullet, not an injection...that stuff is hard to get. They probably have standards to adhere to on what method they use if they're selling them for meat, right? They use Co2 on pre-dispatched feeder mice/rats, I can't imagine they use drugs to euthanize animals as large as a horse or cow. But if they have a lot of animals maybe they'd have access to it, I dunno.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 pm

If they are killing the animals there for meat then injection wouldn't be done but the supplier just sold them chunks of beef. Horse meat can pass for beef. When you have a horse die or have to put it down that big body needs disposed of so there are people who will come and collect the corpse to dispose of it for you, and you normally have to pay them to do it to. This to someone with no morals would be any easy way to get free meat to add to what they are selling.

Pets in pet food was the big story in the 90's. Any animal could be added to rendering for animal fat and it was said this was why a lot of older pets needed extra doses to be put down when they needed it because they had been exposed to low doses their whole life in the food. Reports of all the nastiness from the rendering plants are why we have all the nice foods to choose from today.

So not the first time I've heard of it being in food but first for being in high enough amounts to make them sick and even kill in some cases. So my first thought is someone cut corners and used collected animals and some were injected instead of shot/died naturally.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:53 pm

If the three different brands that had this same problem get their beef from the same source...on one of the recalls posted here, minervasden quoted the article "...they have discontinued relations with their now former beef supplier." I wonder if the other two have done the same. All three affected kinds were beef flavor.

Return to “PET FOODS”