Smallbatch Dog and Cat Food Recall of May 2017

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Smallbatch Dog and Cat Food Recall of May 2017

Postby Juska » Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 am

Smallbatch Dog and Cat Food Recall of May 2017 - Dog Food Advisor

May 5, 2017 — Smallbatch Pets Inc. of Portland, OR, is voluntarily recalling two lots of its Smallbatch frozen chicken blend for dogs and cats due to the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.

No pet or consumer illnesses from this product have been reported to date. However, because of their commitment to safety and quality, Smallbatch Pets is conducting a voluntary recall of this product.
Consumers should also follow the Simple Handling Tips published on the Smallbatch Pets package when disposing of the affected product.

What’s Recalled?
The affected lots of 2 pound bags of Smallbatch Chicken Blend were distributed to retail pet food stores in the following states:

*California
*Colorado
*Oregon
*Washington

Two hundred eighty-two cases of this product were sold between the dates of 2/1/17 and 5/5/17.
The affected products are sold frozen in 2 pound bags.
The products affected by this recall are identified with the following manufacturing codes and “Best By” dates, located on the back of the package.

Lot: D032
UPC: 705105970974
Best By: 2/1/2018
Lot: E058
UPC: 705105970974
Best By: 2/27/2018

What Caused the Recall?
The recall was initiated after routine testing by the Food and Drug Administration of a 2 pound bag of Smallbatch Chicken Blend that was collected at a distributor revealed the presence of Salmonella.
This recall is being made with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

What to Do?
Consumers who have purchased the above lots of Smallbatch Chicken Blend are urged to stop feeding the product to their dogs or cats and to return product to place of purchase for a full refund.

Or dispose of them immediately.

Consumers with questions are asked to call the company at 888-507-2712, Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM PST.
Or via email at info@smallbatchpets.com.

U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area.
Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Smallbatch Dog and Cat Food Recall of May 2017

Postby pat » Fri May 12, 2017 8:16 am

this is getting crazy. I wish USDA would check them more. I think if a dog food company gets more than 1 recall, they should be forced out of business, or fined.

thank you for posting the info.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 12, 2017 9:34 am

Dogs probably wouldn't get salmonella from eating this food, but it is good that they do voluntary recalls. The only real risk is if someone with a weak immune system handled the food, and then immediately put their hands in their mouth... :roll:

Now, for the pentobarbital recalls, they should definitely be investigated by the FDA and be fined if negligence was discovered.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Yeah if you let your dog eat raw chicken or eggs then they are exposed to salmonella anyway. Normally dogs don't have issues with that because of their strong stomach acid but sometimes they can, most probably have other issues making their immunity weak enough to catch it.

The listeria recalls I'd be a bit more concerned about but mainly because I don't know much about it but the little I did look into it, it seems dogs are less likely to get it than humans as well so maybe not as mig a deal as it seems either except to protect the humans handling the food.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat May 13, 2017 1:43 pm

For some reason I seem to have permanently high inflammation (white blood cell) levels so I don't really worry about getting sick as much as other people. I took care of a puppy that had salmonella years ago at the pet shop I worked at (he came in with it, speaks volumes of the crap conditions/health they allowed there), because everyone else was afraid of catching it from him.

But yes, it's the exact same as chicken or eggs in the USA. It's food. Wash your hands after handling food...not that hard.

Return to “PET FOODS”