Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Keeping Produce Fresh

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Keeping Produce Fresh

Postby minervasden » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:27 am

Those of you who who use produce for your pets (or yourselves) how do you keep it fresh?

I purchased some "green" bags in a private or store brand. I've had mixed results with the bags. Anyone else use or have tried these?
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Keeping Produce Fresh

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 am

It's tough... I haven't been able to figure it out either. I just have to go to the store every few days. :/ If someone has suggestions, I'd like to know too.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 am

Same problems here, we're at the store every few days buying produce. :/
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 am

Some tips on keeping produce fresh for longer

http://clark.com/shopping-retail/29-way ... er-longer/
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Vata Raven wrote:Some tips on keeping produce fresh for longer

http://clark.com/shopping-retail/29-way ... er-longer/

Thank you for posting the link. I'm hoping some members have methods they have tried and had success with.

Ana wrote:Same problems here, we're at the store every few days buying produce. :/

I wish I had a local grocery store. I would be happy to be able to pick up produce every few days.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Foil works okay but I had the best luck with big ziplocks keeping things fresh a long time.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:14 pm

minervasden wrote:Thank you for posting the link. I'm hoping some members have methods they have tried and had success with.

If you read the article (I'm sure you did), it mentions ethylene gas, it's a gas produce give off as they ripen. You mentioned using "green" bags with mixed results.

So, my local Kroger once provided green produce bags (for a short period), and they did in fact keep the produce fresher for much longer.

Look for bags or products that help control/contain the ethylene gas. Just because it's a green colored bag does not mean it will control the ethylene gas. The bags do work, you just need to make sure that's what you are getting.

On that note of them working, I read some produce do better in them than others. I'll look into it and post the link here if I come across anything.

But, I'm also a firm believer that it's possible to persevere the freshness without man-made plastic. I can't tell you the magic trick to it (I don't know it), but with some searching, I'm sure something will come up about produce freshness.

A good starting point would be to figure out what produce gives off the gas.
Last edited by Vata Raven on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:33 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Foil works okay but I had the best luck with big ziplocks keeping things fresh a long time.

I agree with your method mary. I also use zip lock bags. I just flatten and keep pressing air out of the bag as I seal it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:28 pm

I used to do the foil but it's kind of annoying to use. Don't know why it works but it does and is plastic free. At least works on things like lettuce and celery.

The bags work great too though and are less annoying. I've bought 3 packs of leaf lettuce and had it stay fresh all month, depending on it's condition when I got it. Maybe opening the bag now and then to use it lets the gas out but it does fine.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Leaf lettuce lasts longer than head lettuce. at least it does for me.

sometimes, I would wrap a stock of leaf lettuce in a heavy damp paper towel, then put it in a zip lock bag.
my sister told me that one, she use to work in a restaurant. either way, the leaf does last longer, especially if it is wrapped good.

for me foil don't seem to give a good seal. but, would work to put over an air tight bag I guess.

I also separate my leaf lettuce like you do, lasts for well over a month.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Oh! One thing I did see are silicone food savers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQ3PQ5G/

It would help to reduce plastic use.
Lara

Postby Lara » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Those are interesting! I've used these before, and they work pretty well too:

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Fresh ... esh+longer

I use greens for my bunnies, and some berries, and they keep for much longer in those.

Return to “PET FOODS”