PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

smoked bones, are they bad?

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vata Raven

smoked bones, are they bad?

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:44 pm

I know the general rule is that cooked bones are a no-no with pet.

However, what about those giant beef femur bones you can buy in nearly every pet store?

http://www.luckydogbones.com/shop/index ... ducts_id=2

Are these still considered safe, or they also a no-no item?

Thank you for your time.
DeweysMom

Re: smoked bones, are they bad?

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:00 am

OMG, no - please don't! I've tried a couple different "smoked" brands over the years, and ALL of them shatter and can end up with needle-sharp slivers that could do abundant damage if ingested. These things shouldn't be legal to sell!! I'm not sure if it's the "smoking" process that makes them this way, or what...

If you want to give your critters beef bones, visit your local butcher or meat department at the grocery store and pick some up. If you're worried about giving raw, you can gently boil them just long enough to get the meat cooked slightly.

I usually have mine cut up into sections about 2" thick, then I freeze them raw. They are great cool treats to give on a hot day. The marrow is frozen and it's a cool tongue treat. Just be sure if your dog (or whatever) doesn't finish eating the meat or the marrow that you put them back into cold storage because they get rancid and nasty pretty quick on a hot day. :twisted:

Another great beef bone-type treat are Red Barn beef bones. I've given these for years, and know others who have, too, and so far, no safety issues.
https://www.chewy.com/redbarn-large-peanut-butter-filled/dp/45893?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Redbarn&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9uOz9ta82wIVg1mGCh3G5w-FEAYYASABEgJkefD_BwE
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 pm

@DeweysMom Thank you for your very detailed insight.

I did some searching and it seemed like a 50/50 split on the topic. Some thought the smoked or roasted bones you can buy from pet stores were okay to give to your pet, while other did not.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:45 pm

You're welcome, VR! icon-smile
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:27 am

Though, I am curious about the raw bones with the filling.

The bones look unnaturally white, so I wonder what they do to the bones to makes them so clean.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:09 am

From Red Barn's website description of those bones:
Redbarn's White Bones are slow roasted and naturally cleaned. You can rest assured your pup is getting a safe, natural and delicious dog chew with no added flavors, colors, preservatives or chemicals.

It also says these bones can splinter, but I've been buying them for years and never had one do that. I have one pretty aggressive chewer, and while he might chip off really small pieces (smaller than a pencil eraser size), I've never had one shatter or splinter.

And since the bones themselves last a really long time (even after the peanut butter marrow is long gone), oftentimes I'll take old ones and smear some real peanut butter inside them. It keeps my dogs busy for a while, plus I'm 'recycling'! :icon-wink:
Dana

Return to “PET FOODS”