PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Cat food "experiment" + comparison of wet foods

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Cat food "experiment" + comparison of wet foods

Postby Juska » Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi! Long time no see. Some of you will remember my kitty Namira.

I have decided it's time to switch her to a completely wet food diet, in place of her completely dry food diet. I had been giving her Fancy Feast Broths as a special snack every few days for about two weeks, and she seemed to enjoy it. Since it was a pouched, brothy consistency that she can lap up instead of having to chew I figured I would get her broth-based foods. She turns her nose up at pate unless I really mash it and spread it out so she can lick it. The "experiment" is to see what consistencies, flavors and brands she prefers the most before we settle on one. I picked out 8 different whole meal foods, and a snack size pouch.

I've created a spreadsheet comparing all of them which I will post when the final results are in of which are her favorites. I can pick my favorite as far as nutrition and value is concerned, but none of that matters if she doesn't like eating it! :roll:

Here are the variables for my "experiment":

Here's a list of the variables:
Wholehearted Grain Free Tuna & Sardine Recipe Flaked in Broth - 5/5
WholeHearted Grain Free Tuna Recipe Flaked in Broth - 5/5
Castor & Pollux Pristine Grain Free Wild-Caught Salmon Recipe - 1/5
Wellness Healthy Indulgence Natural Grain Free Shreds with Tuna & Shrimp in Light Sauce
Solid Gold Holistic Delights Salmon & Coconut Milk Creamy Bisque Bisque with Salmon and Coconut Milk
Tiki Cat Aloha Friends Tuna & Pumpkin - 4/5
Natural Balance L.I.D. High Protein Tuna Formula in Broth - 3/5
Wellness CORE Simply Shreds Natural Grain Free Wild Salmon & Tuna (Food Topper) - 2/5
CANIDAE PURE Grain Free Adore With Sardine And Mackerel In Broth

I will make new a reply with a short "review" of each food as she consumes it.
Last edited by Juska on Fri May 10, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
Juska

Re: Cat food "experiment" + comparison of wet foods

Postby Juska » Fri May 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Wholehearted Grain Free Tuna & Sardine Recipe Flaked in Broth

Very thick, "stew" looking broth, dark in color, thick shreds of meat. Namira ate roughly 80% of it at her first sitting, then consumed the rest over the course of 8 hours. She gives it a 5/5.
Last edited by Juska on Fri May 10, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Natural Balance L.I.D. High Protein Tuna Formula in Broth

Thin broth with big flakes of meat, and small diced carrots. While apprehensive at first, Namira took to this one quickly, eating about 60% of it at her first sitting. She consumed the rest in 8 hours. She gives it a 3/5.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Castor & Pollux Pristine Grain Free Wild-Caught Salmon Recipe

Almost no broth. Big diced chunks of meat. She hated this one and barely ate any of it at all, even after 8 hours there was roughly 95% left. I had to throw it out. She gives it a 1/5.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 10, 2019 5:34 pm

WholeHearted Grain Free Tuna Recipe Flaked in Broth

I figured after the previous day's result, I would give her something familiar. As with the previous of this brand, she ate 100% of it within 15 minutes; consuming most of it at the first sitting. She gives it 5/5!
Last edited by Juska on Fri May 10, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 10, 2019 5:38 pm

Wellness CORE Simply Shreds Natural Grain Free Wild Salmon & Tuna (Food Topper)

Thin broth with finely shredded meat. This was given as a snack over the course of 8 hours after her "breakfast" of the previous meal. She did not eat a lot of it; about 15%. She gives it a 2/5.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Tiki Cat Aloha Friends Tuna & Pumpkin

Thick broth, dark in color with shreds of meat and tiny diced pieces of pumpkin. I gave this to her after work, and at first she didn't seem interested. But after we ate dinner, I came down into the kitchen to see she had eaten about 95% of it. She gives it a 4/5. I was surprised and did not expect her to like the pumpkin, but she didn't seem to eat around it. Notice the large flake of tuna left behind; guess she didn't want to chew it up. I took a fork and tore it up into smaller pieces after taking this photo.

I'm noticing a trend of her liking the darker, slightly thicker broths with flaked meat.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat May 11, 2019 12:10 pm

Solid Gold Holistic Delights Salmon & Coconut Milk Creamy Bisque

Thick broth, like a cream stew with flakes of meat. She wasn't interested at all for a few hours. I think she ate the amount she did simply because she was very hungry and not because she liked it. Overall she finished around 65% of it. She gives it a 2/5.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon May 13, 2019 5:36 pm

CANIDAE PURE Grain Free Adore With Sardine And Mackerel In Broth

Big chunks of fish in not much broth. Barely touched this one at all. She gives it a 1/5.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon May 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Wellness Healthy Indulgence Natural Grain Free Shreds with Tuna & Shrimp in Light Sauce

Long shreds of meat in medium thickness broth. Not a lot of broth. She ate about 40% of this one total. She gives it a 3/5.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon May 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Aaaaand we have our winners!

Here are the winners of Namira's food experiment! WholeHearted and Tiki Cat. Out of all nine foods, she likes these the best. And they score pretty well regarding nutrition and price also! It's a step in the right direction vs an entirely dry food diet, and she actually likes them, so no fighting to get her to eat. Which is great considering we switched her almost "cold turkey" from dry food. She had some of the WholeHearted tuna recipe this morning for breakfast and eagerly ate it all. So I'm glad she's willing to cooperate with me on this. Not being a "cat person", Namira is more of a challenge to me than a dog or a rodent, so this was fun :)

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 14, 2019 10:56 am

Juska,

thank you for posting the information. the cat bowl is so darn cute. the food to me don't look very appetizing, but, it does to a cat :lol:

I feed my cats Purina dry and canned. they seem to do well on it. they love canned food. so do my dogs, but, I don't give it to them.
sometimes my aussie dog will steal the cat's canned food. guess a little bit won't hurt a dog :shrug:
I have a high table I keep the cat food on. my beagle can't reach it.

what are your thoughts on temptations treats? I give it to my cats occasionally.
a while ago, my brother-in-law was feeding his cat temptation only. never cat food. I kept telling, please don't use temptations for a daily diet.
sadly, he died at age 8. he had diabetes. do you think the temptations caused diabetes?

after all the dog and cat recalls, I was and still am paranoid about dog and cat food. however, correct me if I am wrong,
but, Purina never had a recall?

what is your thoughts on " taste of wild" and "merrick" dog food?

thank you again for all the updates. I appreciate it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 14, 2019 10:59 am

Juska,

forgot to ask, where did you get the food you have pictures of?

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue May 14, 2019 1:33 pm

pat wrote:sometimes my aussie dog will steal the cat's canned food. guess a little bit won't hurt a dog :shrug:
I have a high table I keep the cat food on. my beagle can't reach it.

A little kitty food once in a while won't hurt your pup, haha. Glad your cats enjoy wet food. Some, like my cat, won't touch the regular canned food at all!

pat wrote:what are your thoughts on temptations treats? I give it to my cats occasionally.
a while ago, my brother-in-law was feeding his cat temptation only. never cat food. I kept telling, please don't use temptations for a daily diet.
sadly, he died at age 8. he had diabetes. do you think the temptations caused diabetes?

I have Temptations treats for Namira, specifically to put in her treat ball. She has to roll it around to get treats to come out. She gets maybe... 10-15 every few days. They are 2 calories per treat so that's around 30 calories every few days. It keeps her busy and she has to work for them.

Obesity is what causes diabetes in cats; the type of diabetes they get is similar to type 2 in humans. So if his cat was overweight due to being fed nothing but cat treats it's possible the Temptations caused it. But what really caused it was being over-fed. It says right on the packaging to not feed it as a meal :/

pat wrote:after all the dog and cat recalls, I was and still am paranoid about dog and cat food. however, correct me if I am wrong,
but, Purina never had a recall?

Yes, Purina has had recalls. You can see them here: https://www.petful.com/brands/purina/

pat wrote:what is your thoughts on " taste of wild" and "merrick" dog food?

Taste of the Wild is what I mainly feed my dogs. Though it uses peas and beans for fillers in place of grains which has been linked to heart disease in dogs. They get wet food, cooked food and raw food as well. Neither have shown signs of any heart conditions at checkups so I believe they will be fine. They're also getting older so any health issues that crop up now could be caused by any number of things. Merrick is supposedly a good brand as well, but I've never used it. They have a 4.5 stars rating on Dog Food Advisor, same as Taste of the Wild.

pat wrote:forgot to ask, where did you get the food you have pictures of?

I bought all the foods I tested at Petco :) WholeHearted seems to be a Petco exclusive, but Tiki Cat can be found on Chewy.com, which is probably where I'll be ordering that brand from in cases.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed May 15, 2019 12:33 pm

A little kitty food once in a while won't hurt your pup, haha. Glad your cats enjoy wet food. Some, like my cat, won't touch the regular canned food at all!
what type of canned food did you try you feeding your cat? I am surprised your cat don't like the canned. Your cat is so darn beautiful. I have looked at his pictures several times. he also looks very healthy.

my dogs don't get cat can food often. (if they had their way, they would eat it every day) they get cooked chicken, sweet potatoes and a little merrick dog food, however, I do feed my raccoons a little of the Purina complete dry dog food (no can). the cat can food I use is purinia Friskies pate for my cats..

the only reason I have the purina dry is for sybil (my bear) I buy 55lb of it. she has a sweet tooth, so I put brown sugar over it.
she also gets jelly sandwiches and eggs :roll:

It just makes me sick when I still see recalls of dog and cat foods. I would think by now, some of these companies would wise up.
what really makes me mad when I see dog foods that say on the bag "made in USA. but, the ingredients come from China :twisted:

I have Temptations treats for Namira, specifically to put in her treat ball. She has to roll it around to get treats to come out. She gets maybe... 10-15 every few days. They are 2 calories per treat so that's around 30 calories every few days. It keeps her busy and she has to work for them.
Obesity is what causes diabetes in cats; the type of diabetes they get is similar to type 2 in humans. So if his cat was overweight due to being fed nothing but cat treats it's possible the Temptations caused it. But what really caused it was being over-fed. It says right on the packaging to not feed it as a meal :/
10-15 cat treats is not bad at all. but, when my brother-in-law only fed his cat temptations, nothing else. I kept telling him please don't use that as a meal. 2 calories per treat is not bad at all. but, as a meal, I think that is not so good. what about carbs in temptations? I know in some people, eating too many carbs can cause diabetes over time.

I bought all the foods I tested at Petco :) WholeHearted seems to be a Petco exclusive, but Tiki Cat can be found on Chewy.com, which is probably where I'll be ordering that brand from in cases.

I order from chewy too. very convenient. next time I order, I will check out the Tiki cat food.
I have 5 cats, all seem to be healthy.

another question, what are your thought on marrow bones? my dogs eat a little of it, but, if my raccoons had their way, they would eat it them as a meal. they get 2-3 each day.

another question: what are your thoughts on "beggin stips" for dogs? I use to feed it to my dogs, but, I got paranoid, cause it looks like there is dye in it. which I believe there is. I think that is one of dog foods that says, "made in the USA. ingredients from China.

thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Return to “PET FOODS”