PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Cat food "experiment" + comparison of wet foods

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Re: Cat food "experiment" + comparison of wet foods

Postby Juska » Thu May 16, 2019 10:54 am

Namira turned away a few different kinds of canned food. I believe we tried Friskies, Fancy Feast and one other brand, I can't remember the name. But the pate, she just doesn't like. The very finely minced/flaked meat in broth is much more palatable to her.

Beggin strips aren't great. Most processed treats like that aren't great in general, especially rawhide. Rawhide is very, very processed and hard for animals to digest. I stopped giving my dogs rawhide years ago. is A better treat would be raw real bones, like pork necks, chicken feet, pig's feet cut in half etc. You can get them from a lot of grocery stores. Another good treat are frozen chicken livers and hearts. Since they're small, they make good little snacks. I think they're about $2 for a container of them at Weis (local grocery store). Even Conte, my mom's little dog, loves chicken hearts and livers.

You can also buy pig liver, chop it up and freeze it and give the pieces as treats. Emo (my big dog) loves eating whole pig livers. But I only give them to her occasionally. Marrow bones are good too, but you have to be careful if they're from a large animal like a cow; a dog could break a tooth trying to chew it. If you can get them sawed in half it would be easier for them to get to the tasty marrow inside.

During deer season, if you can get the legs/feet from anyone you know who hunts and has the carcass processed, that's a good treat too. Deer antlers are great chew toys but they can be expensive. Cow's hooves and pig's ears are better than rawhide for chewing also.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Haven't been on in a while. This is a cool experiment. I really appreciate you taking the time to post all of this. It's super interesting to see what taste animals prefer. I'd be interested in seeing this experiment done on a bunch of kitties and seeing if they all have a similar palate or not.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu May 16, 2019 8:58 pm

It was interesting and fun to do! I wouldn't be surprised if every single cat in a large-scale experiment had a different preference, haha.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 17, 2019 11:42 am

Juska wrote:It was interesting and fun to do! I wouldn't be surprised if every single cat in a large-scale experiment had a different preference, haha.

That's probably true! :lol:
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 23, 2019 2:18 am

Jake also dislikes any pate cat food. He likes his food small pieces and with lots of gravy.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu May 23, 2019 8:09 am

Same here, she only wants crunchy, *cheap* dry food (she somehow seems to actually prefer the stuff that's cheaper with bright colors!), or very very well-minced meat in a lot of gravy/broth.

This had made me suspect she might have had some kind of issue with her teeth or mouth, but the vet said she looks fine (and Namira will let me examine her mouth, so I do check her teeth every so often). So no bad teeth or growths/wounds. I guess she's just picky.

I just received four 12-pack variety boxes of Tiki Cat from Chewy. This should last her a month or so. I also picked up a 24-pack of Meow Mix Simple Servings. They had a seafood variety pack for $8. I will be giving these as a snack in between meals if she gets hungry, as they are 1.3 oz in size. The ingredients are decent enough for the price. Fun fact, even cheap wet foods are usually "better" in nutritional value than dry.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 24, 2019 10:41 am

guess, cats have their own preference on food, like people :shrug:
a friend of mine cats won't eat the pate either.

when I give my cats their pate can food, I chop it up. not saying that is the reason.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 26, 2019 5:20 pm

Thankfully Jake likes the dry food we get that is a fairly healthy one. I keep forgetting the name though. I know it by sight in the store. He likes Friskies for the canned but it's a smaller part of his diet. He used to like meow mix canned when he was younger.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon May 27, 2019 12:03 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Thankfully Jake likes the dry food we get that is a fairly healthy one. I keep forgetting the name though. I know it by sight in the store. He likes Friskies for the canned but it's a smaller part of his diet. He used to like meow mix canned when he was younger.

my cats will eat the Purina dry, but, go nuts over the can (friskies) its hard for me to ration their food. since I have 5 cats. they don't always come in
at the same time. sometimes they do though.. I tried the grain free, but, they didn't like it :roll:

a long time ago, I had a beautiful cat that lived to 20 years old. guess that was when some of the food was safe.. nowadays some foods can be tainted.

when you remember the name of the dry cat food, let me know.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 27, 2019 3:41 pm

I think it's the Simply Nourish Grain free chicken but I'll have to write it down next time we go shopping. I'm pretty sure it had simply in the name though so I think that's it. It's pretty good ingredients and fairly inexpensive and available at the grocery store we go to down the hill. He used to upchuck his kibble kinda often no matter the brand before but he rarely does with this one.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon May 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Simply Nourish is the PetSmart proprietary brand.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Okay, I thought the packaging wasn't quite the way I remembered. I found it. I searched for the store and cat food and managed to dig it up. It does start with an S at least :D

https://www.chewy.com/supreme-source-ch ... /dp/152295

Could stand to have less legumes but being it's cat food they do add taurine so it should be okay, other than that it's not too bad
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 31, 2019 9:04 am

Interesting; never heard of that brand. Legumes don't seem to affect cats the way it does dogs. At least, research so far suggests.

Namira is doing well on her new food. She's still mad she isn't getting crunchy food anymore, but she'll have to get over it. I bought 4 cases of Tiki Cat 3 oz cans from Chewy. But she seems to prefer the WholeHearted, which is a Petco exclusive. I will probably buy her a case or two of that to switch things up once in a while.

I also noticed she eats more of it if I give her half a can at a time. Not sure why. If I put the whole 3oz can in at once on her plate, she seems to leave some behind, then it gets dry, and she won't eat it once it's dried out >.> So in the morning, I open a can and give her half while I'm getting ready for work, then before I leave I give her the other half. Probably 10-20 minutes in between. When I get home I feed her again and then give the rest a little later, depending on what my activities are.

She has lost a few ounces and is down to 11 lbs. She seems more "active", which translates into more annoying, lol. Every morning she wakes me up to get food. But she's getting less persistent with this; I think she's slowly realizing she isn't going to die of starvation if there isn't food in her bowl 24/7. :roll:

Return to “PET FOODS”