PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What food?

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Whisper

What food?

Postby Whisper » Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 am

When I got zorro, he was being fed purena pet chow, which seemed to have a lot of grains, so I'm currently feeding him blue buffalo. (I switched him on to it slowly) I read the article about blue that was posted on another topic, and now I don't know what to feed him :shrug:
What do you guys feed?

Thanks(:
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Violet

Re: What food?

Postby Violet » Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 am

Taste of the Wild. My cat is exclusively on it, and then after reading about the Blue Buffalo, I've switched both dog and fox over to it. They both LOVE it. Kinda kicking myself for not making the switch way earlier.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Tue May 26, 2015 10:04 am

Where do you get it from?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 26, 2015 10:08 am

I personally think it is hard to find a dog food that can be trusted.
foxes should be getting more than just dog food.
I use very little dog food, the dog food I use, is always grain free.

we just never know when a dog food is going to be re-called.
actually, "taste of the wild" had a recall a few years ago. it might of only been one time, can't remember.

I just cannot understand how these dog food companies are so darn careless with their dog food.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Tue May 26, 2015 10:33 am

Ugh. Some of the stuff they put in food is so horrible
Pat, do you feed raw? I want to get zorr the best food I can but it doesn't seem like any dog food is good.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 26, 2015 10:46 am

I do not feed raw. I pressure cook chicken thighs(I de-bone it first), then grind it in a meat grinder.
sometimes I will give them the raw chicken thigh bones.
since I have 3 foxes, 2 raccoons and 2 dogs. I have to try and stretch the food a little.
so I mix a little 4-health grain free dog food with it.

my foxes also get raw chicken giblets almost everyday. actually, I asked my local grocery store if I can buy
bulk chicken giblets. so I order a 30lb box. (1.00lb) lasts for awhile, I freeze a lot of it and thaw as needed.

my foxes also get raw eggs almost everyday. also, raw liver is good, mine go nuts over it.
I hate handling it. but, one of the members suggested semi freezing it first, then cut it. (does work better)

my one fox and my coons love the pedigree marrow bones.(they don't get it everyday or much of it)
sometimes milk bones.I try to be careful with the treats. they use to love the " chicken jerky treats" but, since so many recalls,
I will not buy them. when I get time, I want to make homemade chicken jerkys. I have a dehydrator. just don't have the time to get to it icon_confused.gif

some foxes like marshmallows.mine do, but not all the time.

Whisper

Postby Whisper » Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 am

Ohh. Which dog foods? Also, can fox kits have treats? I used to own/breed rabbits (ironic I know) and they can't have treats till 6 months, so I'm wondering if there is anything like that with foxes?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 26, 2015 11:17 am

most grain-free dog food. as violet suggested, you can try the "taste of the wild"
I use 4-health, which is only sold at tractor supply. It is not very expensive compared to some of the others.
so far so good. but, again, I still have a hard time trusting most dog foods, thats why I don't feed mine a lot of it.

Merrick is suppose to a good choice. but, wow, it is very expensive. either way, I hope you don't feed only dog food to your kit.
he will need other foods, meats. I personally don't think pork or ground meat is good. some do feed theirs raw. but, I try hard to be
safe about everything. I stick with poultry (chicken or turkey). however, once in awhile I will give mine deer meat if available.

also, you could try some fruits and/or veggies. mine don't eat it, but, as a kit, yours might. don't hurt to try.
maybe a little watermellon cut up and freeze it. he might like it like that :shrug:

rabbits are completely different. they are much more fragile than dogs or foxes. foxes are more in the "dog family" as far as food goes.

Whisper

Postby Whisper » Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 am

Okay, thanks(:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 26, 2015 11:28 am

hope you found my info a little helpful.

hope to see pictures when you get time..

Whisper

Postby Whisper » Tue May 26, 2015 11:34 am

Yeah thanks, I'll try to post pics soon
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:22 pm

What do you think of earth born holistic? It is cheaper than blue and merrick, but the ingredients seem to be about the same.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:25 pm

I've used the Primitive Feline and was very satisfied with it. I do not have a dog or other pet which eats dog food, but if the dog food is of equal quality, then certainly give it a try. Good food.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Violet

Postby Violet » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Taste of the wild for dogs, chicken giblets, with fruit and veg thrown in, is what Roulette gets. He also gets the occassional egg. He no longer gets weird poops, and doesn't eat his poop anymore either. He's thriving on that mix.

Don't know how good earthborn for dogs is, but my cat hated it when I bought a bag for her. You're fur baby might like it. Bestt hing to do, from my experience, is just to give some brands a try. You'll find a great food that your baby will love!
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:36 pm

I tried earth born, and he loved it. I could barely get it into his bowl, he was so exited. The only thing is it smells stronger then blue....

Return to “PET FOODS”