Site Admin

another recall-dog chews

Postby pat » Fri May 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Violet

Re: another recall-dog chews

Postby Violet » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:37 am

Man, is there a pet food that hasn't had recalls? It seems like there's always something being recalled, especially for metal contamination lately. Are the machines breaking down in such a way, that metal flakes are getting inside?

I just give beef bones to my dog. I get them fresh from a local butcher a block away. They're always nice and meaty and my dog loves them. Never had any problems. I'm paranoid now that I'm going to give my dog, fox, or cat, something that's supposed to be good for them, then it turns out to be harmful. Seriously contemplating putting all my critters on a raw food diet.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:42 am

The packaging on that product makes it look "cheap", but those chews are insanely expensive. Way too much money for a soft chew that won't last more than a few minutes.

Violet - be careful with giving your dogs beef bones. Knuckle/ankle bones and other "hard" beef bones can actually be too hard for your everyday dog's teeth and can cause them to crack or break. I'd suggest pork instead.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:44 pm

these recalls are getting out of hand. when we think we find a safe dog food, then later find recalls on some :roll:
I noticed since some people lean toward raw, some stores are now selling raw food for dogs.
but, guess what, there were recalls on that too. :roll:
hard to predict what the heck is good and what is not icon_confused.gif

my animals get mostly home cooked food. mostly chicken/turkey. sometimes a little gr meat for the dogs.
I cook it in a pressure cooker. I also put in some sweet potatoes and some veggies.
sometimes I do add a little dog food (4-health) to their home cooked food. they don't get it everyday.

speaking of pressure cookers. I know some people say a lot of vitamins are depleted when cooking.
supposedly, with pressure cookers, it keeps all or most of the vitamins. does anyone have thoughts on using a pressure cooker? personally, I really like mine, it cooks very fast, and I don't make near the mess I did before, and saves me lots of time cooking the food for my little darlings. usually, when I make their food, I cook enough to last up to a month.
freeze some of it.(bag and seal tight)

I give my dogs meat bones, but not often. I found some at GE that are more of a flat one, with more meat on it.
I hope these are safer than the others?

Violet

Postby Violet » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:47 pm

Don't know if it makes a difference, but my dog is a boxer/lab mix, with some red bone coon hound thrown in the mix and maybe a dash of pit. Do you know if his teeth are okay with it? He bites through bones like butter, so much so that bones rarely last him more than 10 minutes or so. He does also get pork bones, from the same butcher shop. He loves him some pig feet! The beef bones are a rare treat, so maybe that helps. The butthead actually tears wooden fences apart chunk by chunk. It's nuts how this guy bites through things. His nickname is Trap Jaw, after the He Man character, because of it. I'll definintely keep an eye on his teeth, to make sure they stay good!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:01 pm

Violet wrote:Don't know if it makes a difference, but my dog is a boxer/lab mix, with some red bone coon hound thrown in the mix and maybe a dash of pit. Do you know if his teeth are okay with it? He bites through bones like butter, so much so that bones rarely last him more than 10 minutes or so. He does also get pork bones, from the same butcher shop. He loves him some pig feet! The beef bones are a rare treat, so maybe that helps. The butthead actually tears wooden fences apart chunk by chunk. It's nuts how this guy bites through things. His nickname is Trap Jaw, after the He Man character, because of it. I'll definintely keep an eye on his teeth, to make sure they stay good!

Juska was referring to the teeth. I personally never had any of my dogs break their teeth, or had teeth problems.
but, that don't mean it can't happen. I would think occasional beef bones would be OK.mine get one about every month or two.
maybe certain bones are not good :shrug:

juska and other members can chime in with their views of what might be OK and what might now be..

so, come on everyone here, chime in with your thoughts.

Violet

Postby Violet » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Oh, I know she was refering to the teeth, but I didn't know if specific dog breeds had better teeth or not. I never had any problems with my dog's teeth, but if there are certain breeds that are predispositioned to have weaker teeth, and my dog was mixed with one of them, I wanted to ensure he'd be okay. I would think hunting dog mixes would have better teeth, if only for how they were bred to hold kills.

pat wrote:juska and other members can chime in with their views of what might be OK and what might now be..
so, come on everyone here, chime in with your thoughts.

Wait, did someone think I was saying other people couldn't give their views or not? I didn't write my response to sound like that, if it did...?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Wait, did someone think I was saying other people couldn't give their views or not? I didn't write my response to sound like that, if it did...?
no, not at all, sometimes I do that with some of my replies, only to see what others reply to. definately nothing you posted....sorry about that, sometimes I type faster than I think :lol: also not good at wording at times. (guess, cause I have too many irons in the fire right now too)

i do agree with you about the bones. I looked real quick online and it is mostly the smaller dogs that bones are not good to give. but, I think your dog will be fine.
I raised many coonhounds and few other over the years, and never had any problems.

what I have to wonder though, if a dog is not fed proper nurtition, that might cause problems :shrug: I am not referring to you at all. I know some people will feed their dogs low grade dog food, I honestly don't know if that would be an issue :shrug:

I guess I mentioned about asking other members here, was to see who feeds raw beef bones. I know some people feed raw meat, including bones.

my thoughts only: I would think raw poultry bones could cause other problems. I have seen pretty sharp raw chicken bones when cutting up chicken. as far as I know, no one had a problem who is feeding raw :shrug:

again, so very sorry I didn't word my reply more clear :red-face:

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:51 pm

I think most dogs would be fine with uncooked bones to chew on. They can't chomp through antlers either, but those are a common thing to give them to chew on. I guess in that way, there are many things that a dog could break its teeth on--hard toy, branch, etc. Maybe in smaller breeds that have weaker jaws it could be more of an issue. Even when my foxes were little, they could crunch small bones.

Obviously I don't study the "hardness" level of bones though, lol, so there may be some that are safer to give than others. Uncooked chicken bone is pretty soft, so would probably be safest. Other fowl too probably.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Violet

Postby Violet » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:09 pm

It's okay, Pat! I just wanted to make sure my reply didn't sound inadvertantly rude lol

Thank you for clarifying icon-smile
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:58 pm

Violet wrote:It's okay, Pat! I just wanted to make sure my reply didn't sound inadvertantly rude lol

Thank you for clarifying icon-smile

your post was not rude in any way.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Ash wrote:I think most dogs would be fine with uncooked bones to chew on. They can't chomp through antlers either, but those are a common thing to give them to chew on. I guess in that way, there are many things that a dog could break its teeth on--hard toy, branch, etc. Maybe in smaller breeds that have weaker jaws it could be more of an issue. Even when my foxes were little, they could crunch small bones.

Obviously I don't study the "hardness" level of bones though, lol, so there may be some that are safer to give than others. Uncooked chicken bone is pretty soft, so would probably be safest. Other fowl too probably.

I hate changing subjects here, but, you mentioned the antlers. I got a deer antler, my dogs don't really chew on it,
I was going to give it to my foxes and raccoons, but, now I am not so sure. do you think it could break a tooth on my foxes or raccoons?

good point though on the causes of breaking a tooth.
now that you mentioned it, daryl did break one of his canines awhile ago it is only the tip.
I have no idea what he chewed on that did that.

thank for you info..

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:10 pm

When I said "not your everyday dog" I was referring to most domestic dogs. Whereas something like a wolfdog would probably have less chance of damaging the teeth as they are physically less removed from eating "wild" prey and having the ability to eat/digest specific things like beef femurs/knuckles and so on.

I read about specific beef bones not being ideal from a few sources.

Via http://rawfed.com/myths/bones.html :

"Yes, problems can occur with raw bones, just as problems can occur with feeding the "safer" kibble (bloat, choking, telescoping bowel, aspirated kibble leading to pneumonia, etc.). These problems typically occur in dogs that gulp their food or are fed small things like chicken wings and necks (the prime suspects of choking incidences on raw). Other culprits are the large weight-bearing bones of herbivores, things like knuckle bones, femurs, etc. These, ironically, are the kinds of bones pet food manufacturers and some vets recommend dogs receive regularly to help keep teeth clean! These bones chip or break teeth and can have pieces of bone flake off.

If you are concerned about choking or about bones getting stuck or about broken teeth, here are some things you can do:

Feed appropriately sized pieces. Do not be feeding a dog the size of a Rottweiler a little chicken neck or wing! Feed that dog a whole chicken. Bigger pieces force the dog to slow down and chew. Also, stay away from cut bones; this includes things like cut up neck bones (where they are cut into individual vertebrae), cut ox-tail bones, and cut knuckle bones. The smaller size encourages inappropriate gulping, not to mention the rather sharp edges left over from the saw blade! Feed large MEATY bones that are in as whole condition as possible.

Feed raw meaty bones frozen or partially frozen. The dog will have to work at it much harder and will be forced to slow down.

Do not feed the big weight-bearing bones of large herbivores. These are well-known for chipping and cracking teeth! These include the ever popular "recreational bones" like cow femurs and soup bones. They are incredibly dense and hard, and can result in slab fractures and cracked carnassial teeth. Avoid them if you can and stick to MEATY bones that are edible.

Feed MEATY bones that are surrounded by and wrapped up in plenty of meat. Do not feed bare bones or bones that have hardly any meat on them. Too much bone can lead to constipation, so feeding very bony parts like beef knuckle bones, chicken wings, and even some rib bones can result in some very hard "concrete-like" poops. If you do feed a bony meal like whole neck bones or a slab of beef ribs, supplement with some raw "meaty meat" on the side to compensate for the high bone content."

On another note for reference, my ten year old Border Collie/Golden Retriever mix goes through bones quickly as well and has never had any problems with them. So it's not any specific breed I was talking about, though little dogs might have more trouble chewing and digesting bones in general, just because of their size (my Schnoodle just doesn't enjoy raw bones so I do not give them to him, instead he gets hearts and liver and other soft meaty parts as an occasional treat).

Caution should be taken when giving your dog anything to chew on, that's all I was trying to say, really :)
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:14 pm

No problem, Pat. That was just my take on it. ;)

Juska, thanks for that info. That helps explain things better.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:08 pm

great explanation juska,thank you. very helpful.

Return to “PET FOODS”