PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What's your best food recipe for foxes?

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sammy

What's your best food recipe for foxes?

Postby Sammy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I've been spending a lot of money mixing various dog and cat foods with fruits and veggies from my fridge, and I'm sure that there has to be a cheaper, healthier, and easier way.

I've found a recipe by The Pet Fox already, and I think I'll use that... But do any of you have other suggestions for recipes that will meet my reds' dietary needs? Dry food that I can store in a big bin would be helpful, but I'm sure that'll be difficult to make with all of the ingredients that need to go in the freezer. Still, I'd love any suggestions!

BTW: Taste of the Wild along with whatever cat food my mom gets for the cats are what I feed them now, along with eggs, veggies, chicken, and when we have fruits or berries, those. I want to try and get as much as I can into a home-made food for five foxes :mrgreen:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's your best food recipe for foxes?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:43 pm

You could mix up any recipe you like and dehydrate it. Here someone does it with dog food recipe, kip to like 9 minutes in and well it's basically just dehydrate it, lol. If not adding spics you might want to freeze or refrigerate it if keeping more than a week though just to be safe. I've done home made dehydrated chicken treats for my dogs before. Not done it in awhile maybe should soon. Need to make sure it's 100% dry is the main thing. Any tiny bit of moisture could contribute to spoilage or mold. Vacuum sealing would help increase shelf life too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fusJc2bHPBY

He talks of a kibble making video too. You could just modify his instructions to work with the pet fox diet, maybe.
foxbreeder4523

Postby foxbreeder4523 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:11 am

60% Whole ground poultry, 10% ground beef liver, 20% cereal (carbohydrates), 5% powdered egg and 5% fishmeal is a wonderful complete diet for red fox.

Add more fat for pups and reduce fat in the winter to condition the breeders for reproduction. Lean fox breed better than heavy fox.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 02, 2016 1:01 pm

I heard fish meal is bad because of all the iodine it has due to being made from ocean fish?
foxbreeder4523

Postby foxbreeder4523 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:48 pm

You've been told some misinformation. I only use fishmeal during reproduction, as high quality fishmeal is expensive usually. ($1 a pound).

A good quality fishmeal is a great source of protein.

I should add that a diet I described should be fortified with vitamin and minerals, and whenever feeding egg a biotin supplement is good to have too.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Thank you for the reply. Have you had a lot of senior foxes? That would be the main way to know if it's an issue. It's more a theory that's started going around. Sea fish and sea meal are a source of higher iodine than things a fox would get naturally including fresh water fish. A life time of higher than needed iodine could potentially lead to hyperthyroidism but likely not till the senior years. But I've not heard of senior foxes with the condition but I've not heard of people making it a large part of their diet either, except salmon but it's not as high as strictly ocean fish or fish meal is.

It's good to hear from a professional breeder.

Return to “PET FOODS”