PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

peanut flour to make treats

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vata Raven

peanut flour to make treats

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:57 am

So, I was looking for a low-carb flour to replace wheat flour with, and I came across peanut flour.

It's low in carbs, and high in protein; and according to Golden Peanut's charts
http://www.goldenpeanut.com/PeanutFlour.aspx

The flours with a higher fat percentage is better when making pet treats.

I do read that canine types do enjoy peanut butter, so I can only imagine how much they might enough a pet cookie made from flour that tastes like peanuts. Plus, no added sugar to the mix, making it a safer alternative.
Ana

Re: peanut flour to make treats

Postby Ana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Has anyone tried the cricket flour? I've actually considered it for human food, too!
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Ana wrote:Has anyone tried the cricket flour? I've actually considered it for human food, too!

I can't comment on cricket flour, but similarly, for mealworms, people say if you roast them, they have a nutty flavor to them.

Currently, bug flour is a costly alternative. Mealworms are cheap to buy, so those might be a flour you could make at home. Also, I looked into some baking recipes, you'll have to use a proven baking flour along with the bug flour.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Pua loves coconut flour but it's not used as four for her. He likes me to boil it and strain the coconut milk off then she likes it that way as a treat, the left over fiber part.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Oh god. Bug flour DIY. Crickets I could handle, but mealworm meal..mealception. oh god, my belly churns at the thought. BACK TO PEANUT FLOUR :lol: :lol:
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Ana wrote:Oh god. Bug flour DIY. Crickets I could handle, but mealworm meal..mealception. oh god, my belly churns at the thought. BACK TO PEANUT FLOUR :lol: :lol:

Is it just the general thought of eating mealworms, or not wanting to deal with live worms?

Personally, if I made mealworm flour, I would buy them per-dehydrated. Though, human grade bugs, for whatever reason, are costly compared to the ones you buy for animals. I never understood that, and I'm not even sure what the difference is; other than the nutrition label.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Vata Raven wrote:Though, human grade bugs, for whatever reason, are costly compared to the ones you buy for animals. I never understood that, and I'm not even sure what the difference is; other than the nutrition label.

Food sold for human consumption has to be made in inspected facilities so that adds some to the cost and then supply and demand thrown in. It's a bit of a circle there isn't much demand yet so the supply is low so they need higher prices to make it worth their while and people will pay those higher prices since there is a low supply.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 pm

What's the risk of using livestock mealworms for DIY flour?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Probably not much really but officially a greater risk of contamination since no one is overseeing the facilities. I bought a bag of livestock flax seed before and used some of it for the humans too and no one died.

Edit: of course if something does happen you can't sue or anything because you weren't supposed to be eating it.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:17 pm

I found this: steps to take to food prep insects
http://www.instructables.com/id/Insects ... /?ALLSTEPS

Since I wouldn't be starting with live insects, maybe roasting them in the oven (again?) might remove whatever unknown contamination they might have.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Recooking sounds like a good idea. You don't know what temp was used to dehydrate so may not have been high enough to kill pathogens.

Return to “PET FOODS”