ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Raising Feeders in living soil environment

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Raising Feeders in living soil environment

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Undertank heaters work really well too if you want to go that route. I'm glad your colony is flourishing. :) I only have a few superworms right now, so can't really say I'm "raising" them yet. I like the pictures of yours!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:28 pm

I give you guys credit for raising bugs and worms.
I can never do it. bugs and worms gross me out. my luck some would escape and I would have roaches, worms in my house. :lol:

mary, can you use a heat lamp, would that work for the heat?
I used one for my baby chicks, but with the setup you guys are talking about, might not work :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Well I definitely need heat. I stuck the power supply for my laptop in there and several somehow made it up to wedge in between it and the glass to warm up.

I have a heat lamp though it would need a red bulb to be on all the time for them or a ceramic bulb but I'd be concerned of possible fire hazard to have it on all the time even when not here.

Similarly I'm a bit leery of putting one under the tank plus it would have to heat through the soil but those say you can stick them on the side if you want so maybe I'll get one of those and stick them on the back.

What I was reading yesterday was getting them up to 85 will have them breeding faster and that for some reason orange helps too.

That mom hadn't moved even well into the evening so I gave her a slice of orange and she ate on that then was on her way right to the water then off, wherever in there.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:28 pm

Carotene is very important for them, so oranges make a really good food. Mine don't care for carrots much, actually. But they go nuts over the oranges. They're good too because they have lots of water content. I'll just get oranges, slice them in half, and leave them in with them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Picked up my dubia colony yesterday. O.O
They are a LOT bigger than I expected. I mean, I saw the pictures, and should have known, but whoa. And ugh.

I want to make sure they're as comfortable as they can be. I'm going to research their natural habitat, stuff like that, and create the
most welcoming, pleasant environment I can. Ugh. Will let you guys know if I come up with anything new!

UGH!!! :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:08 pm

They are supposed to really like having leaves in there. People even sell leaves for that. http://capecodroaches.com/products/deci
Would just check the leaves are safe for bugs if collecting your own. We have lots of maple leaves. They seem pretty happy with the bark and wood bits but if I find some leaves still around can try them too.

I ordered a bunch of tinies at first but then realized since they grow slow would need adults and ordered a colony starter of 10 females and five males. Yep nice and big as adults. I didn't count but there were more than 15 total and at least two males so should do well once I warm them up. They're fine now but obviously want it warmer. I ordered heat cable instead.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:43 pm

I've got a huge colony. It's like 87 females and 50 male adults, then a few hundred nymphs.
SEVEN instars per roach??? Who will eat all those molts? I've got them in the greenhouse but I
needto provide a steady, reliable heat source so I know they're around 80-90 at all times. I kept
tarantulas briefly, and humidity was a real issue with molting - what's the humidity supposed
to look like to ensure successful molting? Have you introduced something to eat the molts?
:shock:
I'll collect some branches and leaves, too bad willow wasnt on the list, I've got a ton of that.

I told them today, lol, I love you, we'll figure this out, but DO NOT COME NEAR ME. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:12 pm

I have mealworms and superworms in there. I only meant to have superworms but due to late night shopping got some mealworms on accident. The superworms will eat the sheds and pretty much anything else. Some sticks and wood I left in there has wormholes through them.

But speaking of humidity all my mealworm and superworm beetles died! I had it too humid so scooped everyone out and all the stuff and stirred some more sand into the soil, the worms were not happy but I have plenty of worms and pupae so will have more beetles soon. The soil was too wet when I put it in and thought it would dry out more quickly.

I had plenty of beetles before but I think putting the lid on caused too much humidity. The high humidity can lead to fungus that eats them up inside. Kinda good though the beetles acted like a canary in the mine so I could fix the issue before any roaches were effected. So no more lid so have the "heater"(powersupply out too) They'll just have to be a bit chilly till the heat cable gets here, can put a guard on that just to be sure no one climbs out.

The dubia roaches are actually really hardy in dry climate so you don't need much moisture. Everyone has been molting just fine.

Oh and I counted 19 adult roaches.

One convo I read on a board about raising them said if you had a colony of about 50 you could probably feed about 20 mediums a day or a bit less, one established. It takes awhile to have a good amount of all ages. I'll probably buy some mediums so I have some to feed when the fennec gets here.

Do you have chickens? If so they would probably love the sheds if you don't want to do the worms.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Awwww, yeah, the humidity concerns scare me - it was a constant struggle with the tarantulas.
The guy who sold me the colony says they are the least intensive care-wise, but I'd like to add
the worms to handle the sheds at least. Plus I have zero compunction about using worms for enrichment, unlike the roaches, who are giving me hesitation. I'll need some ideas on humane dispatch, because the idiots tried to eat one yesterday and turned it into a 15 minute game
where they nearly lost the thing twice. :roll:

I'm going to begin contesting the zoning policy on female chickens on Monday. There's no HOA or anything, just the city zoning, so we'll see. I see no logical reason to keep chickens out of this ONE
city, when they're successfully integrated into every single surrounding city. I want to reach a point where the boys are eating only what we grow and produce here- this WILL solve the obesity issue.
I'm thinking 12-15 insects per day per coon, plus an egg, some kibble, some veg. Right now I've
taken away the extra bowl of nighttime kibble and replaced it with a veg bowl. :roll: Jude's eating
it, so I guess its working. He came in and bullied the last of my juice off me last night, lol. The
calorie reducing has made him ornery. :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:19 am

I just spotted the first superworm beetle so all the beetles that died were mealworm beetles. The superworms are fun to watch actually they run and climb all around in there seemingly just for fun.

Both superworms and roaches are supposed to be really easy and like it kinda dry as everything said normal house holds tend to be about right 30-50%. Mealworms need it nice and dry, this set up even dry may not be conducive to them but the superworms should do better now that it's less humid. The soil should be a bit moist for the superworms but the air more average air humidity for the roaches and beetles.

Well feeding the adult roaches is supposed to be enrichment but 15 minutes does seem a bit excessive. They might get quicker with practice. But if you just want the nutrition then you can freeze them and then thaw them out for feeding. That's what I do with ants anyway. I think the roaches are still small enough that it's considered humane.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:37 pm

I misplaced the water trays during the partial clean out so used this tiny bowl instead. I had to refill it this morning so they must have liked it.
ImageMaking my bug collony fun by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

I'll look for a better food tray with texture at the thrift store but for now I set this antique tea cup up so they can get in and out and later put a slice of orange by it so they could easily find it by smell.
ImageFood cup by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

"I'm King of the tank!"
ImageI'm king of the tank! by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

The super worms love to climb up to the top of the sticks then hang out there till they slip and fall eventually.
ImageSilly Super Worm by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

The long awaited moment finally happened, a bug on my lizard
ImageWorm on my lizard by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Eh, I cleaned the glass some while I had stuff out but not very well it seems. Used vinegar and water not wanting to be toxic.

The heat chord didn't seem to have done much to the ambient heat after a few hours so I moved it under the arches of bark and it's keeping it about 80-82 in those little spots so the roaches will have toasty spots to hang out. But this female decided the heat was more important than being hidden so I'll move that bit under later.
ImageFemale Dubia by heat chord by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

What I read was this is fine long as they have some toasty spots to hang out in they will do fine long as the rest is in the okay range.

Now I should be able to leave them in peace so they can relax and start breeding.

PS their faces are really freaky when you look at them from the side like that female.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Thank you for the pictures, they are giving me all sorts of ideas!! <3
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:09 pm

I may have one too many adult males in the tank. I often see one male out in the day light and he now has an antenna missing so I think he's being bullied by other males. Guess he'll be the first to be eaten, or maybe adding some more bark layers would help. I ordered mediums so will have some to feed the fennec so may need more layers anyway but since not adults they shouldn't fight like adult males do, not unless some are around long enough to grow but just may need more hide places for them all.

It's actually about 85 under the bark now when they are huddled together sharing the warmth so it's working well.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Saw a roach sitting out during the day that didn't move when I reached in for a worm. So went to grab it and she ran and there were babies. Oops didn't mean to disturb you during labor.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:50 am

I don't have many adult super worms at all but have seen some beetles and even saw them mating. I thought I was doing something wrong. Just the other night I saw a few baby worms. Guess most just aren't making it to adulthood.

Thanks Aurora
ImageAurora Raids the Bugs by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Woke to a roach on the curtain the other day. I had given him chilled to slow them down the night before and one got lost anyway. So I decided to try frozen thawed and froze some and thawed and offered. He had just as much fun tossing them around as if they were live but when one he tossed vanished there was no worry and I eventually found it. Yep frozen thawed is the way to go for him and they'll have a quicker death too.

Return to “PET FOODS”