PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

opinions on using blood supplement

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vata Raven

opinions on using blood supplement

Postby Vata Raven » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:00 pm

I want to make blood-sickles treats for my animal.

I've been looking for animal blood to either purchase or get from a local farm, and I've had no luck. Butchering my own animals seems the logical method if I wish to get blood for my purpose. The liver I buy has some blood with it but not enough comes with it.

I found this liquid blood supplement.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=24370

Would this be okay or should I avoid it?

Thanks for your input.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: opinions on using blood supplement

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:23 pm

No that's a supplement to help prevent anemia. Supplements should be treated as drugs and not abused. You especially don't want to give large doses of iron.

People use blood in ethnic dishes. Just ask a butcher to order it.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm not expecting too much for the local so-called butcher. The manager from Kroger seemed very disinterested when I asked what I could bulk order or special order. Maybe finding a smaller place would be better, but there isn't much in the area.

I also visited the largest Asian food market in the area, they didn't have any oddity items (unwanted animal parts) that people say they usually could buy from those markets.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:23 am

You can order beef blood here https://www.filstop.com/orientex-frozen-beef-blood-10oz.html I'm sure there are a few other online sellers as well.

Likely not the cheapest option due to shipping but something you can fall back on if all else fails. On the positive side, it wouldn't take much for a small critter such as a fox. A tiger bloodsicle uses about a quart of blood according to various enrichment references.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:42 pm

[quote="minervasden"]Likely not the cheapest option due to shipping but something you can fall back on if all else fails./quote]
Thank you for the link! I have searched "buy animal blood online" but nothing came up in my search. However, I didn't search "frozen blood", and I just did and your source came up.

Now to find an item that will be a good shape to make these blood-sickle treats.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm

I've thought about making blood-sickles before. But for me, it was just too much work and effort for something that could be accomplished easier with more nutrients: using frozen chicken parts. I'll give my foxes frozen wings and drumsticks during the hot summer months. That gives them meat and calcium (and some blood). As well as enrichment.

I know zoos make blood-sickles for their animals on hot days, but those are usually for large carnivores. I don't know if a fox would appreciate a blood-sickle as much as a big cat or hyena would. Mine only play with their ice cubes for about 2 minutes and then just ignore them.

You can give it a try. But I personally think it's more effort than it's worth (at least for me). If you raise your own rabbits for butchering though (I believe you talked about this before if I'm remembering right) you can drain all their blood into a bucket and then freeze it into little ice cubes. Then you wouldn't have to buy it online.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Ash wrote:If you raise your own rabbits for butchering though (I believe you talked about this before if I'm remembering right) you can drain all their blood into a bucket and then freeze it into little ice cubes. Then you wouldn't have to buy it online.

That's what I planned to do, but I haven't started yet. I planned to do all the farming related stuff once in the new state so we weren't moving a bunch of animals.

Making blood-sicles seems easy enough. Though, zoos will have a verity of frozen treats made for their animals.
http://jezebel.com/adorable-photos-of-z ... -837700624
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Aw, those are all cute enrichment ideas. Makes me wish I had animals to give those cute treats to.

That makes sense that you don't want to get all the animals until after the move. I've had to move animals before (not very many at the time) but it was still a pain.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “PET FOODS”