ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

making feed grade seed safe?

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vata Raven

making feed grade seed safe?

Postby Vata Raven » Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm not sure what they do to the seed that get the "feed grade" or if they do anything to the production of the seed to give it the feed grade.

On my end, I don't think I want to trust using it as ground meal for use in pet treats.

Would soaking the seeds and dehydrating them out be a sound method? I do this to remove salt from roasted nut because the salted ones are always cheaper.

Thanks for the input.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: making feed grade seed safe?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 03, 2017 9:56 pm

The only thing really different is it's not inspected for human consumption which is really just an inspector checking now and then to be sure the place is clean and such. So basically if you really are worried you can wash it but I bought bagged flax seed at the feed store and used it before no problem(it's for animals to eat) but your going to be cooking it since making pet treats so even less reason to worry.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Thu May 04, 2017 9:16 am

My main worry are bugs being packed into the feed bags, or the product being dirty in general. This is coming from someone that doesn't know how grain crops are processed.

I read (on several survival forums) that if you want to buy feed grade, grains would be a safe to buy but avoid by-product feed foods and seeds for planting.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 04, 2017 2:10 pm

You can add some DE to kill the bugs. The only problem I ever had was grain moths and DE stopped them. Wont hurt a fox to eat them(insects are good for them) but they can be a pain as they will get into everything if not stopped quick.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Thu May 04, 2017 9:44 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:You can add some DE to kill the bugs.

What is DE?

Also, I read people shove this stuff into freezers, but you need a freezer big enough for the stuff to begin with.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Diatomaceous Earth. You can get a big bag of it at feed stores to and just mix some in the grain.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri May 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Thank you for answering my question.

I read if you the source bags it, it'll be better off. However, if you get a bunch for the silo and it has been sitting there for a while, you'll have a great chance of having a bunch of bugs and poop in it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 05, 2017 3:59 pm

You could wash it but washing before storage would be a problem because that's a lot of grain to spread out and dry so the best would probably be store it with some DE mixed in to kill any bugs if present, then wash it as you use it.

Return to “PET FOODS”