Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chicks

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I found cheap chicks.

Looked daunting at first $99 shipping due to being other side of the country from them, closer is cheaper shipping. But adding more didn't make it go up so it's a flat rate so by ordering 275 chicks(11 bags) it worked out to .71 per chick total. Much cheaper than anywhere else I've found(when shipping is counted).

https://www.americanrodent.com/chicks.php
Vata Raven

Re: Chicks

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 pm

That is an odd weighing system.

25 baby chicks to the bag, makes it sound like they shove them into the bag (which I know they don't)

It is safe to assume the chickens are straight ran (no sex check) and of a random breed.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Well kinda. I haven't ordered from them before but Hare Today sent them just crammed in a bag. I had to thaw them out to separate them into baggies.

The ones I got before were a mix of colors. Some sites price by chick size, so those may be separated a bit more by breed. Hare Today is a farm so those may have been ones they raised. I think most buy the cast off males from egg farms though rather than raise their own. Hare Today don't have any listed now but even if they did shipping for just some chicks(since I already bought rabbit) would have been expensive. The closet store I found with them is 3 hours away and still wanted over $2 a chick. That works out pretty bad per pound of food cost. Still expensive but not as outrageous.

Maybe if someone lived near a farm they could get a cheap supply. I gotta think it's still a large mark up for what's basically a waste item.
hecate

Postby hecate » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:50 pm

Have you ever tried RodentPro? Their shipping is a flat $29 per box no matter where you are. I've never ordered their chicks but I used to get rats from them before we released Mulder and Scully decided she was too good to eat whole prey anymore.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 am

Yeah but I hadn't gone through the check out to see shipping cost. But if the $29 shipping is true that would be cheaper. Same size order would have been .50 a chick. I'll have to try them next time.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:38 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Well kinda. I haven't ordered from them before but Hare Today sent them just crammed in a bag. I had to thaw them out to separate them into baggies.

Ooohhh, they're frozen chicks; I thought they were living baby chicks.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:44 pm

Oh yeah, I did fail to specify. I don't do live food other than bugs. Frozen feeder chicks, not chicks to raise.

So many people film their fennecs eating mice live mice but I can only image the massive outrage if I filmed Ikigai eating a live chick, lol. Would guarantee lots of views though, lol.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:35 am

I go through Rodent Pro and have been happy with them. I just placed a big order the other day--no chicks in that order, but lots of rats.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:50 am

I could never feed my animals live food. however, I have some nasty roosters I would like to give to my foxes.
I am afraid the roosters will hurt the foxes with their spurs.

one of my chickens just hatched 9 babies. one died. I doubt I could kill them and send them to you.
how about some roosters :lol: I would be happy to kill them and send them to you.
however, I am too whimpy to kill any animal. that's gary's job.

I have no idea where you can get frozen chicks. if I get a chance, I will check and see if I can find somewhere for you.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:12 pm

It's fine Pat I ordered some from the company above and they will last a long time.

He loves his chicks but oddly enough shuns raw chicken meat, he's cool with raw turkey though.He might like chicken better if whole cut into chunks or maybe ground up. He kept puking up hairballs when he had whole rabbit ground with fur but liked it better than the whole rabbit without fur but that's what he gets now. He'd probably love whole baby bunnies but I'm sure even if I found those, they'd cost an arm and a leg.

Even his roaches are frozen thawed now cuz he would toss them around and they'd get away though I'd find them dead later near the sink/trash, probably were trying to find water. He also always eats heads first. Combine those two and a live chick would be a very gory event.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:54 pm

mary,

have you tried cooked chicken? my foxes prefer their chicken cooked. but, will eat raw if that is all they get.

yike, roaches. I can't even stand to see them, let alone raise them. but, your fennec likes them why not feed it to him.
I never seen them in my house, and glad of that.

what the heck, we do everything we can to make our little darlings happy.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:40 pm

He does like the chicken cooked.

I found a dead roach in the closest nest of the anteaters once when changing the blankets. Aurora had been raiding the tank to eat super worms so my best guess is it accidentally hitched a ride. At least they don't survive when they do get loose. I was worried since they are roaches.

Return to “PET FOODS”