opinions on home made dog food

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

opinions on home made dog food

Postby pat » Thu May 24, 2018 3:32 pm

I took Lucy (my beagle) to the vet a few days ago... reason was, Lucy looked like she was constipated.
the vet (new vet) said Lucy was not getting enough carbs. her colon was filled with air.

vet told me to put veggies, fruits in her diet. I have been feeding her cooked chicken breasts for a long time. along with treats sparingly.
as I do Leo (my aussie) Lucy is overweight, I know that. she has not been getting enough exercise, I have not been letting her out to run in the back, for fear she would slip through the fence which she has done several times. the fence I hope is now fixed..

the vet prescribed 2 different meds for her. 1 is deramax. (the 2nd bottle can't read, the label wore off :roll:

now I am cooking more chicken, this time, I put rice in it. I know rice has carbs.

I am open for suggestions.

also, I have had so many dogs in the past, and this is the first I ever heard of this.

then there is the people that feed raw. does that make a difference? I fear feeding raw chicken. Lucy don't like beef.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Lara

Re: opinions on home made dog food

Postby Lara » Thu May 24, 2018 5:58 pm

In terms of getting her more carbs, I used brown rice and sweet potato in my fox's diet. I know in dog food they use ingredients like whole grain corn, wheat, and millet, but I've never been a fan of those ingredients for dogs.

I hope she get's better quick, beagles are such wonderful dogs (:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 25, 2018 3:25 pm

To feed a balanced diet you need:
meat 60-70%
raw bones 10% If you wont give raw bones then she'll need calcium from other sources or a supplement
organs 5-10%
veggies, fruit etc, including grains: 10-15%

A basic recipe just off the web

1 cup meat
¼ cup liver either chicken or beef
½ cup cooked rice
¼ cup vegetables
1 hard-boiled egg
1 tbsp fish oil
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun May 27, 2018 10:06 am

thank you Lara and Mary for the info.

I usually put sweet potatoes in their food, but, the last couple batches I didn't, cause I forgot to get them :roll:
however, I did put rice in her food, put some veggies also. she wouldn't eat it. but, finally she did.

on the egg, I give her raw eggs once in awhile, maybe I should cook them first.
I do have some liver. I will partially thaw it, then slice it. it is hard and disgusting to cut when it is thawed :lol:

I have fish oil capsules, I can take the liquid out of it and sqeeze it in her food.

thank you again,
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “PET FOODS”