PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Dingo

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

amyers

Re: Dingo

Postby amyers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Aren't dingoes just domestic dogs that went feral many many generations ago?
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:40 pm

I think they are just another "breed" of dog.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Legend

Postby Legend » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:03 pm

I want to know what the heck New Guinea Singing Dogs are? Are they an 'exotic' or what?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Singers are also a feral dog but they are even more different and distinct then dingos are to dogs. Guineas are very very primitive and have very unusual characteristics. They have extreme prey drive, not at all eager to please humans. It seems they are more exotic then domestic but are scientifically considered domestic.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Some of their "dingoes" look suspiciously like shiba inus:
http://www.dogbreedworld.com/dogs/shiba ... _inu_8.jpg

and
Japanese Akita Inus
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... a_inu.jpeg
http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net/ge ... shiba4.jpg

Another red flag for this site is that they mention having "pure dingoes". The only 100% pure dingoes in the world are a small population on Frasier Island. Conservation efforts for these dingoes are highly moderated. Tourists are welcome but may not bring domestic dogs. Capturing and importing of the dingoes on this island is illegal since the pure dingo is consdidered an endangered species. All the other dingoes found on the mainland Australia are said to have some domestic dog in them.

@ Ash: As for Asian dingoes, I think the ones wikipedia is refering to are New Guinea Singing Dogs and other dingo-like feral dogs. The asian dingoes they are talking about are probably actually a subspecies of dingo called New Guinea Singing Dogs. They are not the same thing as Australian Dingoes. They don't look exactly like dingoes and they don't behave like dingoes.

@Legend: You mentioned the site sibfox. I was thinking about buying from them someday but wasn't sure if it was a scam. Do you have any info on that? Thanks.

@Legend: New Guinea Singing Dogs are an asian subspecies of dingo,but they do not behave like Australian Dingoes. They also don't look the same as dingoes. Also, unlike dingoes, most places consider Singers as a domestic dog breed and a permit may not be required to own one. New Guinea Singing Dogs, like dingoes, once had origins as feral dogs,but today they are extremely rare if existant at all in the wilds of New Guinea. You can find many being breed as pets though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Guinea_Singing_Dog
Last edited by caninesrock on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:14 pm

If you go to the fox section of the forum there's a topic devoted to Sibfox. :)

By the way, forgot to welcome you in my other posts. Welcome to the board! you seem very knowledgable, and I'm enjoying reading your comments so far!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks. ^^ And I'll be sure to check that topic out. :)
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Syrupness

Postby Syrupness » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:44 am

Pure dingoes are not only found on Frasier Island, though that is the only guarenteed wild pure population. On the mainland the wild dingo population is only 2% pure as of 2006 (I think). There are dingo breeders who breed for dingoes for pets, the largest was a man with about 150-200 purebred dingoes for breeding. He sadly died in 2004, though I think his family kept the buisness open. I don't know if he shipped overseas, though it could have been a possibility as in Victoria they are classified as a domestic breed, I don't know if Federal laws superseed State laws for export.

Dingoes may not look particuarly exotic, and pure dingoes only really come in 3 colours (red, white, orange/brown) but they don't bark, they are extremely good jumpers and I know of at least one being trained as a seeing-eye dog for a blind man. The trainers said that the dingo picked up the skills faster than the usual golden retrievers (though this may be a case of a especially smart dingo, though I like to think not). My stupid state won't allow dingoes as pets as they are 'a threat to sheep' (personally I think the feral german shepardXrotweilers are more of a threat than a dingo that would live in the suburbs). When I move to another state (and have a stable job) I plan on getting one :)
Outsider Looking Inn
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:59 am

Syrupness wrote:Pure dingoes are not only found on Frasier Island, though that is the only guarenteed wild pure population. On the mainland the wild dingo population is only 2% pure as of 2006 (I think). There are dingo breeders who breed for dingoes for pets, the largest was a man with about 150-200 purebred dingoes for breeding. He sadly died in 2004, though I think his family kept the buisness open. I don't know if he shipped overseas, though it could have been a possibility as in Victoria they are classified as a domestic breed, I don't know if Federal laws superseed State laws for export.

Dingoes may not look particuarly exotic, and pure dingoes only really come in 3 colours (red, white, orange/brown) but they don't bark, they are extremely good jumpers and I know of at least one being trained as a seeing-eye dog for a blind man. The trainers said that the dingo picked up the skills faster than the usual golden retrievers (though this may be a case of a especially smart dingo, though I like to think not). My stupid state won't allow dingoes as pets as they are 'a threat to sheep' (personally I think the feral german shepardXrotweilers are more of a threat than a dingo that would live in the suburbs). When I move to another state (and have a stable job) I plan on getting one :)

Thanks for the info Syrup. ^^ I guess I always just assumed the ones being bred by pet owners were the more common mixed breed dingoes. When my sister visited Fraiser Island for a tour(so jealous :lol: ), the tour guides told her that those were the only pure population of dingoes and that's why they had to be protected so strictly. I guess they lied to get more tourism to their island or something.

Doesn't Australia have a national law about no exporting wildlife though and aren't dingoes considered wildlife? I would think if it was easy to get them in other countries, more zoos would have them especially since the pure ones are considered so endangered. I've seen several zoos in different countries with New Guinea Singing Dogs,but no zoos outside of Australia with Australian Dingoes.

That is neat about the seeing-eye dog dingo. ^^

Syrupness

Postby Syrupness » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:57 am

Doesn't Australia have a national law about no exporting wildlife though and aren't dingoes considered wildlife? I would think if it was easy to get them in other countries, more zoos would have them especially since the pure ones are considered so endangered. I've seen several zoos in different countries with New Guinea Singing Dogs,but no zoos outside of Australia with Australian Dingoes.

That is neat about the seeing-eye dog dingo. ^^

It seems like every wildlife park and petting zoo has dingoes here. I know of somone that took their pet Dingo to King Island then to some Island off New Zealand for holiday, the Island wasn't technically Australia but they didn't need quarinteen when they came back, so maybe it was a unique case besause of the destination.

I live in South Australia, which doesn't allow Dingoes, but the seeing-eye dingoe was able to come across the border because being a blind-aide was more important than dog breed. So if you pretended to be blind and your seeing-eye dog just happened to be a Dingo you could take it out of the country :)
Outsider Looking Inn
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:17 am

Syrupness wrote:
It seems like every wildlife park and petting zoo has dingoes here. I know of somone that took their pet Dingo to King Island then to some Island off New Zealand for holiday, the Island wasn't technically Australia but they didn't need quarinteen when they came back, so maybe it was a unique case besause of the destination.

I live in South Australia, which doesn't allow Dingoes, but the seeing-eye dingoe was able to come across the border because being a blind-aide was more important than dog breed. So if you pretended to be blind and your seeing-eye dog just happened to be a Dingo you could take it out of the country :)

I meant zoos outside of Australia. I've never heard of any zoos outside of Australia having any. Petting zoos? That's awesome. I'd love to pet a dingo. Here they are considered wild animals so if there were ever any that came into the country's zoos, we wouldn't be allowed to pet them. :/ We aren't even allowed to pet the New Guinea Singing Dogs here at the zoos even though it's been ages since they've actaully lived in the wild and are techincally considered a domestic breed. I feel like someone would get caught if they did that. That's interesting about the person that went on vacation. Maybe it was because they were bringing the dingo back into the country though so not techinaclly exporting it out(not permanently anyway)?

Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:47 pm

It is really bizarre that Australia, a country so rife with invasive species (intentionally placed there by the government, I might add), would ban one of these "invasive but now here long enough to be called native" animals from leaving the country.

I saw rumours that "Australia might sell dingoes to China's meat dog market", no idea if it's true. But if they have so many dingoes they want to be rid of, why not let some out to exotic animal breeders and collectors? Even as exotic "purebred" dogs, like the Korea Jindo Dog and NG Singing Dog?
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”