PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

AZA Large Canid Care Manaul

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

AZA Large Canid Care Manaul

Postby caninesrock » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 pm

So,while browsing the AZA website, I found a small list of care manuals that was available to the public and one of them was for large canids. The species it deals with are African Wild Dogs, Dholes, Maned Wolves, Coyotes, Gray Wolves, Mexican Gray Wolves(listed seperately from other gray wolf subspecies since they have to be handled differently because all are potentially going to be released into the wild),and Red Wolves.

The manual is 187 pages long and has lots of good info on diets, enrichment, what social groups work best, enclosure size and type, diseases to look for and treat for,etc. And a bunch of other info that can be applied to private ownership of the listed animals. It also has policies on how these animals are handled in AZA accredited zoos and how much and what kind of contact the staff (zoo keepers) are allowed to have with the various species of canids.

“Large canids” in this document are defined as species in the family Canidae that weigh over 22lb (10kg) as adults, and that are currently and commonly held in AZA member institutions. These include the African wild dog (Lycaon pictus), coyote (Canis latrans), gray wolf (Canis lupus), maned wolf (Chrysocyon brachyurus), Mexican gray wolf (Canis lupus baileyi), red wolf (Canis rufus), and the dhole (Cuon alpinus). Recommendations for the domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris), New Guinea singing dog (Canis lupus hallstromi), and the dingo (Canis lupus dingo), are not included in this manual, although these species are managed by some AZA member institutions.

Here's the manual:
http://www.aza.org/uploadedFiles/Animal ... 202012.pdf
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Talys

Re: AZA Large Canid Care Manaul

Postby Talys » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 pm

Ah!!! Finally. I gave up looking to see if they had completed it yet, so thank you so much! Is the small on its way/completed yet?
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
caninesrock

Re: AZA Large Canid Care Manaul

Postby caninesrock » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Talys wrote:Ah!!! Finally. I gave up looking to see if they had completed it yet, so thank you so much! Is the small on its way/completed yet?

I have no idea. It wasn't mentioned on the site. Though I think maybe it's completed,but not available to the public as it wasn't listed under the finished ones or the unfinished section,so I think maybe just a small selection of their manuals are available to the public as a preview and to see the rest, you have to be an AZA member or something (or maybe they haven't even started the small canids one yet).

Here's the small list of completed ones available to the public as well as info on the ones they are working on and what stages they are at:
http://www.aza.org/animal-care-manuals/
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”