PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Bush dog, dhole and african wild dog - interesting article

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sammys

Bush dog, dhole and african wild dog - interesting article

Postby sammys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:45 pm

I find this article interesting - a very short one but it mentiones 3 of my favorite dog species (the other ones being the red fox, and the pseudofoxes)

http://www.earthtimes.org/conservation/ ... inus/2076/

This article has a question in the end about why these dogs were not domesticated - instead the grey wolf was...What is your opinion on this?

I kind of agree that perhaps the reason why we domesticated the more aggressive animal is that we wanted animals tha will protect us. And it is something I expect from my dogs too - I love them, I expect them to not be agressive without a reason but than again, if someone attacks me I expect the dog to defend me (as I would him). As much as I love different canidae exotics (dhole, fox...) I would not expect them to defend me (tho I would)....
But than I also remember reading that perhaps dholes and grey wolves used to be similar in temperament but than humans hunted the wolves so much that only the most fearful/agressive wolves remained...But than dholes are hunted a lot too...

I think I agree with the first hypotheisi more...What is your stance? (Just for fun of course)

RabbleFox

Re: Bush dog, dhole and african wild dog - interesting artic

Postby RabbleFox » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:54 pm

I believe we domesticated wolves because they are such supreme hunters. A wolf pack can bring down and elk. They will be fat and happy for a few days, then hunt successfully again. Humans + wolf would yield meat for both the wolf and the family making civilizations possible.

It is my personal belief that human civilization would have turned out much differently if we hadn't domesticated the wolf (or some other hunter-candid). Without the wolf at our side we would not have been able to hunt as much meat. Without meat, the family cannot survive. The family can scoot by on the meat dad brings home but if he and the wolf bring home extra, we don't have to hunt again for a few days. The wolf sleeps lightly so he hears the other predators and warns the family. With the extra time spent not hunting and not worrying about predators, the family can then focus on things like farming instead of hunting/gathering.

Perhaps we chose wolves because the wolves chose us. They were the one to creep closest to the cave fire looking for scraps, you see.
~RabbleFox
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Foxes though not 'true foxes" were domesticated once

caninesrock wrote:Also,though not techincally true foxes, culpeos were domesticated into Fuegian dogs,but Fuegian dogs are extinct now.

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology ... gian-dogs/

http://somewhatclever-er.tumblr.com/pos ... e-and-real

http://patagoniamonsters.blogspot.com/2 ... n-dog.html

http://diardiwolf.deviantart.com/art/Fu ... -258714278

And here's my photobucket with some info I gathered about them from a book that was scanned on google:
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/ ... ?start=all

It seems that the Fuegian dog wasn’t as versatile and useful as Canis familiaris, but this might be unfair given that it may well have been in the early stages of domestication*… Furthermore, don’t forget that many of the domestic dogs that frequent camps and villages around the world are scavengers, refuse-eaters, and hangers-on: they provide some advantage for camp or village life, but they aren’t necessarily big, strong hunting companions.

So Yeah I think it came down to hunting ability and the domesticated "foxes" went extinct in favor of domesticated dogs once introduced into the region because they could do more for the people.
sammys

Postby sammys » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 am

Yeah, I know about the culpeo being domesticated at one point. And I am not totally convinced that it was their lack of skills that led to their extinction. Afterall the europeans did not show mercy nor to indigineous people not animals so culpeo was probably deliberately exterminated...

But it is interesting that the african people did not domesticate the hyenna dog or that asian did not domesticate the dhole. (Bush dogs are said to be raised often by amazonian people and who nows, maybe there are domesticated forms outthere)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 pm

That would be cool. I know there are still some tribes they purposefully avoid contact with.
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Also based upon the stuff I have read on domestication and how it is beleived to have happened in the past, it is likely that it just is a rare occurance. IIRC, all of the different strains of cow are derived from one specific region being domesticated, although I cannot remember where I read this (I want to say one of the Discovery emails I get, but not positive)

Remember in the past people wouldnt have spent time and energy trying to domesticate the wolves all the way, the animal had to be at a point where they went from being another competitor for food to useful. I read somewhere that it is theorized that the adrenaline/fear response? kept all but the least fearful wolves away, so these wolves benifited from an extra food source of humanities trash. Over time, the lowest fear response (which is genetic) benifited from easier and extra food, so they procreated due to in this case being more fit to this new environment. Then you needed people who noticed these different animals and try to incorporate them into our society (whether actively by taking pups and raising them and keeping them around or passively by giving them scraps and the animals associating people as not a threat)

I have to admit, it made me sad to hear that the Fuegian went extinct. I would much rather a neat different 'dog' companion instead of the horrid tiny rat dogs! (Admittedly, I love big dogs and animals, so toy dogs are rats to me!)
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 am

Hey...don't go hating on rats now ;)
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:28 am

Fair enough... rats arent nearly as bad as squirrels...

Evil sadistic creatures of pure malice and despair! I think squirrels are the only creature on earth that I actively hate.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 pm

Bedbugs, mosquitoes and flies of any kind are animals that I absolutely despise and wish world extermination of. Nothing but parasites, the lot of them. I can handle spiders, snakes and other "creepy crawlies", but to hell with those insects!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:37 pm

:agreed: Amen! I am completely right there with you. Mostly with stinkbugs and mosquitoes...conniving little buggers. xD
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 pm

Insects I do not include in the animals thing... though honestly, even mosquitos I dont hate the same as squirrels.

I just wear 100% deet and keep around someone who they like better than myself. Most other bugs are great for survival situations... except stinkbugs. Those are great as a emittive agent if someone ate something poisonous lmao.
Talys

Postby Talys » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 am

That's a serious hate of squirrels.

Lol, that's always a great tactic, having someone else get eaten.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bush dog, dhole and african wild dog - interesting article

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:09 pm

I always imagined Bush dog to be solitary

https://www.facebook.com/napowildlifece ... =3&theater
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:46 pm

They're beautiful animals. Kind of remind me of a mix between an otter, bear, and a dog.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Kinda like tayra with short tails.

Ash wrote:They're beautiful animals. Kind of remind me of a mix between an otter, bear, and a dog.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”