PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Coyote Behavior

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Coyote Behavior

Postby sarajeku » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:49 am

We've discussed starting this thread before, but never got around to it, so here it is. icon-smile
Anyone have any specific questions about coyote behavior, enrichment, etc.? Keep in mind my knowledge is limited to what I've worked with, so anyone else with coyote knowledge is welcome to jump in too!
EmilyGrace

Re: Coyote Behavior

Postby EmilyGrace » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 pm

@sarajeku
In your experience, how is coyote behavior different from fox behavior?
Also, what is Totem like as an individual?
aspartime

Re: Coyote Behavior

Postby aspartime » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:30 am

I think Coyote behavior is like dog behavior its different with each one. I currently have 2 Coydogs and 8 dogs and 2 cats. I had a wild born coyote male for 7 years. I got him when he was full grown his age was unknown. His personality changed over time. The last 2 years he was very lazy and liked snugging. Also he learned how to bark after 3 or 4 years. He also taught the dogs how to howl. They would sometimes all start howling randomly. His 2 offspring are very different acting then he was. His son was born with a deformed front leg and is a more dog like but cannot be potty trained. His daughter is very smart and 2 times the size of the male, she looks very coyote and has wild coloring. She is 100% potty trained but is moody and will stay outside for days on end and will usually sleep under the bed when inside. I can make her come onto the bed and hang with me for a minute but she will always go hide unless there are no other animals in the room. Sometimes she will sleep with me in the bed if we are alone. Right now she is pregnant and im excited about seeing the pups. She is strangely smart and seems to know whatever i ask of her. I can even make her go into the shower with me just by telling here to a few times. My coyote male actually liked to take showers, but the water had to be almost cold. When the female dogs would go into heat he would go completely insane. He would stay up for days on end and make noises constantly. He would try to mate with them over and over but was never successful except 1 time. He tried 1000's of time over the years. He bit me at few times badly when the girls were in heat. It got to where I would just separate him when a girl was in heat because he would be completely insane. So insane that I thought many times he was going to die he would not eat or drink all he wanted was to be near the female and other then that his mind was gone. Its hard to explain how intense it was, he was like a rabid dog. When the girl got out of heat he would sleep for 2 to 3 days.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”