PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Playful Tazzy!

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Playful Tazzy!

Postby pat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:40 pm

sara,

I didn't realize that is place you work at.

Totem actually attacked someone last winter. It was the girl's fault for not leaving him alone after he started giving her warning signs. He ripped her a new one
that is understandable. some people just don't understand these animals are not dogs or don't know when to quit. of course, if some dogs are being bothered, they could get nippy or bite.

what did the girl that got bit have to say afterwards? did she try to sue?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:41 pm

pat wrote:oh, so it is a santuary. well, really surprises me that that fox and coyote was given up. they are so friendly.
do you have much of a background on the fox? or the coyote?

I looked at some of the other animals they have. looks like they have raccoons too.
did you get to visit them yet? assuming the raccoons were raised properly, they have such a great personality.

what else did you get to see or interact with?

I see they also adopt out. too bad you couldn't adopt the fox later. If you really wanted her, they might let you adopt her.

The coyote has a very depressing background. A hunter killer her mother when she was a pup, but he took pity and gave her up for adoption. She also had mange, fleas and was in horrible health. However, they nursed her back to health and is as if she never had issues. She loves people like no other. Skitter, I don't know her background, but I'll definitely ask the next time I go there (which is the 25th, which oddly enough, happens to be my birthday....)Fitting, huh? Again, I hardly have the guts to take care of a fox, as much as I would love to do so. There are many things I need to learn, and there are also dark, deep fears I have (about what could happen when keeping a pet fox) that I don't know if voicing them here would be the best thing to do. :red-face: Just being overly worried about what could go wrong if I ever had a cute fluffy fox. I hardly feel qualified to have one at this time. Maybe I should continue that topic in a PM :icon-wink: Other animals aren't as playful, though I got to hug one of the raccoons that lived there icon-smile

Also, what did you mean by " really surprises me that that fox and coyote was given up"? icon-smile

sarajeku wrote:Totem actually attacked someone last winter. It was the girl's fault for not leaving him alone after he started giving her warning signs. He ripped her a new one.. we had to pull him off with a belt wrapped around his neck like a leash.
But it did remind us that he is still a wild animal and still can be unpredictable.

I TOLD the girl not to go in with him because he was in a "mood" that day, but did she listen? Nope. Younger, new volunteers see how I interact with him and think they can run in and hug him, and it overwhelms him. That's what she did. Rather than keeping her distance until he came to her (which is what I STILL do, after almost 4 years). He dives into my lap on his own free will, acts like a happy puppy when he sees me because he knows me well. New volunteers that he doesn't know, he is wary of and wants his distance until he is absolutely sure of them, which takes a while.
We have let a photographer in his enclosure before, and he was fine. He investigated her camera and her. But she didn't want the interaction- just the photos.

Such is the nature of interacting with an exotic animal, there is always a possibility of something going wrong, but it's rarely set in stone. I have never had any issues with Skitter or Tazzina, they're just too tame :lol: But yeah a child got too close and she didn't know that she was getting in her personal space; heck, even I get annoyed when people are in my personally bubble and that's what happened to Tazzina and the child. She had part of her jacket torn, but no damage. Many young people need to realize that animals (esp. medium-sized carnivores) need to be approached in such a way and to be respected. I try my darnedest to be careful whenever I play with them. I identify myself by calling out to them and they immediately come running. I probably sound silly by doing that or by underestimating their residual instincts. Heck, I'm probably dead wrong about the whole approaching-them-by-calling-out. :lol:
Last edited by the_randomizer on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:47 pm

I work at a place called Wolf Run in Nicholasville KY. We specialize in canids and rehabilitating native animals for release back into the wild. That's also where I got Echo. At the moment we have rehab baby foxes and one baby coyote that we'll release when they're old enough. There are also quite a few baby deer and opossums. We sometimes get raccoons, but I'm not sure if we have any this year.
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:51 pm

sarajeku wrote:I work at a place called Wolf Run in Nicholasville KY. We specialize in canids and rehabilitating native animals for release back into the wild. That's also where I got Echo. At the moment we have rehab baby foxes and one baby coyote that we'll release when they're old enough. There are also quite a few baby deer and opossums. We sometimes get raccoons, but I'm not sure if we have any this year.

(Sorry for taking so long, I responded to your last post above :mrgreen: )

Again, I would KILL to have a pet fox or coyote, and even though Utah's laws are tricky (legal, but a pain to allow in some cities), there are several inherent unjustified and irrational fears I have in owning one. Like as in, something going horribly, horribly wrong. I...don't think it would be best for me to discuss that in this thread as I want it to be positive, via PM or in another thread would be best for me to express my incessant fears :icon-wink: Plus, I don't think I have a right to get a pet fox at this time since I haven't sufficient experience, but it would be a real dream come true :mrgreen:

Adopting a rescued coyote or fox kit would be freakin awesome though.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:02 pm

sara,

sorry, I got mixed up. I would assume, when you rehab them to release, you have to give them very little people contact.
guess, that would be a hard thing to do. well, it would be for me anyway :lol:

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:05 pm

the_randomizer wrote:Again, I would KILL to have a pet fox or coyote, and even though Utah's laws are tricky (legal, but a pain to allow in some cities), there are several inherent unjustified and irrational fears I have in owning one. Like as in, something going horribly, horribly wrong. I...don't think it would be best for me to discuss that in this thread as I want it to be positive, via PM or in another thread would be best for me to express my incessant fears :icon-wink: Plus, I don't think I have a right to get a pet fox at this time since I haven't sufficient experience, but it would be a real dream come true :mrgreen:

well, in the future when you know what you will be doing. at least you will have the experience by then.
I think you would do fine with one later though. you seem to have a good judgement with animals.

the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:13 pm

pat wrote:
the_randomizer wrote:Again, I would KILL to have a pet fox or coyote, and even though Utah's laws are tricky (legal, but a pain to allow in some cities), there are several inherent unjustified and irrational fears I have in owning one. Like as in, something going horribly, horribly wrong. I...don't think it would be best for me to discuss that in this thread as I want it to be positive, via PM or in another thread would be best for me to express my incessant fears :icon-wink: Plus, I don't think I have a right to get a pet fox at this time since I haven't sufficient experience, but it would be a real dream come true :mrgreen:

well, in the future when you know what you will be doing. at least you will have the experience by then.
I think you would do fine with one later though. you seem to have a good judgement with animals.

I'd like to believe that I'm at leasting try to take care of them, bond with them etc and it seems that I am, so that's good. Thanks for validating that! :mrgreen:

(and I hope you don't mind me sending a PM about my fears in owning a fox). :icon-wink:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:08 pm

So adorable! She's so beautiful in your pictures. ;) It'll be exciting to go in with her, but she does get super crazy and excited when people go into her cage. She would leap at my face and bite at my neck--not in an aggressive way, but in a very crazy, happy way. If you're not expecting it, it can be scary, but it takes time to learn how to interact. Good luck going on your birthday! That should be a lot of fun.

Pat, there are three raccoons. The tamest one was an illegally-kept animal that was given up. She is a sweet raccoon and even played with my hair when I interned there.

I love seeing the pics, randomizer. ;) Keep posting.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Ash wrote:So adorable! She's so beautiful in your pictures. ;) It'll be exciting to go in with her, but she does get super crazy and excited when people go into her cage. She would leap at my face and bite at my neck--not in an aggressive way, but in a very crazy, happy way. If you're not expecting it, it can be scary, but it takes time to learn how to interact. Good luck going on your birthday! That should be a lot of fun.

Pat, there are three raccoons. The tamest one was an illegally-kept animal that was given up. She is a sweet raccoon and even played with my hair when I interned there.

I love seeing the pics, randomizer. ;) Keep posting.

I will, perhaps sometimes we need to be validated by those around us :icon-wink: I'll keep that in mind whenever I go into her cage, the worst that could happen is be licked to death while getting cuteness poisoning :lol:
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:20 pm

She looks so friendly and adorable. I wish the place I'm volunteering with had foxes and coyotes that I could interact with like that.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 pm

caninesrock wrote:She looks so friendly and adorable. I wish the place I'm volunteering with had foxes and coyotes that I could interact with like that.

Oh, it's totally worth it and very good for her and me. Since I've been volunteering there I've felt at peace and have developed a deeper love for animals, especially canids like her and Skitter the fox! <3 :mrgreen: Glad you like the pics! Did I add you on Facebook? I might have....?
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:12 pm

the_randomizer wrote:
caninesrock wrote:She looks so friendly and adorable. I wish the place I'm volunteering with had foxes and coyotes that I could interact with like that.

Oh, it's totally worth it and very good for her and me. Since I've been volunteering there I've felt at peace and have developed a deeper love for animals, especially canids like her and Skitter the fox! <3 :mrgreen: Glad you like the pics! Did I add you on Facebook? I might have....?

Probably not. I don't think I've given anyone here my Facebook. I don't really like to give my Facebook to anyone unless I also know them offline or they're a friend or family member of someone I know offline and in the case of being a friend of someone, they are an offline friend of them. I only have like 30 friends on Facebook. It's nothing personal. I just have this weird thing about having privacy on the internet and people not knowing my real name and junk. I don't know why. :shrug:

You're welcome to add me as a friend on this site though. :mrgreen:

I'd love to hear more about Skitter and Tazzy,but especially Tazzy. Coyotes(and coywolves) are my second favorite animals after Gray(especially Mexican Gray Wolves and Iberian Wolves),Red,and Eastern Wolves which all tie at first place. :lol:
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:26 pm

caninesrock wrote:
the_randomizer wrote:

Probably not. I don't think I've given anyone here my Facebook. I don't really like to give my Facebook to anyone unless I also know them offline or they're a friend or family member of someone I know offline and in the case of being a friend of someone, they are an offline friend of them. I only have like 30 friends on Facebook. It's nothing personal. I just have this weird thing about having privacy on the internet and people not knowing my real name and junk. I don't know why. :shrug:

You're welcome to add me as a friend on this site though. :mrgreen:

I'd love to hear more about Skitter and Tazzy,but especially Tazzy. Coyotes(and coywolves) are my second favorite animals after Gray(especially Mexican Gray Wolves and Iberian Wolves),Red,and Eastern Wolves which all tie at first place. :lol:

Oh that's fine, I was just curious is all :mrgreen: But yeah, I'd be more than happy to tell you more about Skitter and Tazzy, and about the sanctuary I volunteer at, it's been a truly awesome experience for me to do and has taught me much exotics. I've been working there since early June and am going to extend till the end of November. I always play with those two and have had a large positive impact on my life <3
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:32 pm

the_randomizer wrote:Oh that's fine, I was just curious is all :mrgreen: But yeah, I'd be more than happy to tell you more about Skitter and Tazzy, and about the sanctuary I volunteer at, it's been a truly awesome experience for me to do and has taught me much exotics. I've been working there since early June and am going to extend till the end of November. I always play with those two and have had a large positive impact on my life <3

Ok. Cool. Thanks. ^^ Glad you enjoy it. :icon-wink:

the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:36 pm

caninesrock wrote:
the_randomizer wrote:Oh that's fine, I was just curious is all :mrgreen: But yeah, I'd be more than happy to tell you more about Skitter and Tazzy, and about the sanctuary I volunteer at, it's been a truly awesome experience for me to do and has taught me much exotics. I've been working there since early June and am going to extend till the end of November. I always play with those two and have had a large positive impact on my life <3

Ok. Cool. Thanks. ^^ Glad you enjoy it. :icon-wink:

I was even more surprised they let me extend to the end of November, being able to to this means a lot to me! Would me using a blog also be another good way to tell her back story ? :mrgreen:

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”