PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

I need a hyena care sheet

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxyloxy53

I need a hyena care sheet

Postby Foxyloxy53 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:15 am

I have bin thinking about owning a spotted a hyena so I need a care sheet
what they need to eat
what gender would be best
enclosure size
life span
how many i need
where i can buy one
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need a hyena care sheet

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:49 pm

They are not canines that is why your last post got moved to the large critters forum. The info you want is also already in that forum: viewforum.php?f=103
Foxyloxy53

Postby Foxyloxy53 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:56 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:They are not canines that is why your last post got moved to the large critters forum. The info you want is also already in that forum: viewforum.php?f=103

i know they are not canines but i know they are related to cats but i dident know big cats or large critters
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:25 pm

They're most closely related to mustelids--things like weasels and mink. I joked that hyena topics should technically be in the "little critters" forum since that's where all the mustelid chat is, lol. But they are big, so large critters is best. :) We don't have a hyena forum since there really isn't much point--nobody here owns any hyenas, and even if they did, there wouldn't be tons of topics like in the fox forum.

I know some states in the US that allow hyenas say they need an absolute MINIMUM 20x20 ft enclosure for a single animal (I believe that's what Texas state law is). So knowing that is the minimum for one hyena, from there you should be able to judge what size you would think is best. Obviously the bigger the better, and the more hyenas in there the bigger.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Oh I didn't even realize they were related to cats. That's interesting. I knew they weren't related to dogs though. But they don't really fit with the feline group to me, it would probably confuse a lot of people if they were there.

A FB friend has a hyena(spotted) but I've not seen him post in a long time and forgot who he was. Pua has hundreds of friends, so it'd be hard to find him. But it was interesting seeing and hearing about him while he was posting.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:51 am

Where in Canada are you? Do you even know if Spotted Hyenas are legal to purchase/transport/import/own where you live?
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Foxyloxy53

Postby Foxyloxy53 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:16 am

[quote="Juska"]Where in Canada are you? Do you even know if Spotted Hyenas are legal to purchase/transport/import/own where you

I am might be moving to where they are legal so it does not matter
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:48 am

Ash wrote:They're most closely related to mustelids--things like weasels and mink.

That can't be right - mustelids are members of Caniformia, like dogs, bears, seals and raccoons - hyenas are members of Feliformia, like cats, civets, and mongooses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feliformia

They can therefore be no more related to mustelids than to dogs (or any other caniform), because that's where they share the most recent common ancestor with mustelids - at the split between Caniformia and Feliformia.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Nìmwey wrote:
Ash wrote:They can therefore be no more related to mustelids than to dogs (or any other caniform), because that's where they share the most recent common ancestor with mustelids - at the split between Caniformia and Feliformia.

Thank-you, you are correct. I was thinking that mustelids and civets were the same thing, but was wrong. Meant viverrids, not mustelids. Thanks for the correction. Just goes to show I need to keep my research straight, lol. :icon-wink:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”