ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Help with Potential Exotic Canine Site and Forum

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Help with Potential Exotic Canine Site and Forum

Postby caninesrock » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Well, after looking through google several times, I couldn't find a forum or website specifically dedicated to exotic canines (not even one for wolfdogs oddly enough despite how popular they are as pets). That got me thinking. The exotic cat people have (or atleast had before it got hacked) the bigcatz.org forum. So, I thought I wanted to make a website and forum specifically dedicated to exotic canines. It would probably be on Freewebs atleast initially, since I can't afford a monthly server at the moment, but may eventually get its own address. However, this shouldn't be too much of a problem since Freewebs lets you do most of the things you can do on your own paid-for server and the addresses are really easy to remember. For example, it might be something like freewebs.com/exoticcanines.

Anyways, the problem is while I would love to write the pages, I only know second-hand information on the care of exotic canines and was wondering if anyone here with first-hand experience was willing to write a page on their care?

The canines I most thinking about including on the site are:
Wolves/Wolfdogs
Coyotes/Coydogs/Coywolves/Eastern Coyotes
New Guinea Singing Dogs
Dingoes
Black-backed Jackals
Fennec Foxes
Red Foxes
Arctic Foxes
Gray Foxes
Swift Foxes
Pale Foxes
Bat-eared Foxes
Corsac Foxes

^
Those are all the canines I know of that have been found in the private trade at one point or another.

Realistically, I know there's not someone on here with experience with every one of those species but I know there are many people on here with Red Foxes, a few with wolfdogs, and a few with Arctic and Fennec Foxes at the very least.

You , of course, would be given credit for writing the page with either your real name or online alias (whichever you prefer).

I would also like help potentially making a page on the site for laws/legal issues involving exotic canines, so if you know any laws specific to your state regarding what canines are or aren't legal there, it would be a big help. For example, I already know that coyotes,foxes, and pure wolves are illegal in Texas, but wolfdogs are legal without a permit, and jackals are legal with a permit and liability insurance. I don't think there are any restrictions on other canines like coydogs, New Guinea Singing Dogs, or Dingoes, but am not 100% sure.

Then, there of course would be the forum part for which I would need mods, admins, and members.

Is anyone interested in helping?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with Potential Exotic Canine Site and Forum

Postby pat » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:20 am

on your list, I only know about foxes. I have a care sheet on foxes. as done several of the members here.
http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/fox.htm
I still need to add more info on it, just can't get to it.

if you look in the fox forum, there is more care sheets from other members.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12648
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks, Pat. That's very helpful. ^^

Basically what I'm looking for on the care sheets of all the canines are things like:
1.What To Feed Them
2.Enclosure Requirements (Do they need dig guards? How many feet tall should the fence be, what of fence/how strong of a fence?What type of enclosure bottom (dirt, cement, etc.)
3.What kinds of enrichment are good?
4.Common physical illnesses and mental/behavioral issues to look out for and things to get vaccinations against (Rabies and distemper are obvious, but what else? )
5.Behavior (sounds they make and what they mean, body language and what it means, and things they like to do like dig, climb, hoard food, chew bones, etc.)
6. What to Look for in a good breeder (Are they bottle raised? If so, how old were they when they were pulled from mom? How old should they be when you get them? What's too young to get them and what's too old?)
7. Maybe a short blurb about rescue animals and how their care would differ from animals you adopted as babies and how to get a rescue animal to bond with you,etc.
8. As for the wolves and wolfdogs, it would also be helpful to have something about how the care, enclosure, and diet needs differ between the different contents (i.e. low, lower mid, upper mid, and high.)

I also managed to find a couple good sources of fox legality and one site that lists wolfdog legality, but am not having must luck fnding any kind of lists for legality of things like coyotes, jackals, or coydogs. So, please, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone can let me know whether or not coyotes or coydogs are legal in your state and also possibly jackals. Thanks.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Species.net has care sheets for a lot of canines, not exactly what you might be looking for but it's still really good information. http://www.species.net/Carnivora/Canidae/Canidind.html
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Oh wow, I didn't even know that existed. Thanks for the link, Peacefulward. It's really helpful. ^^
It's mostly for a zoo setting,but I'm sure it can be worked around/tweaked for private ownership requirements as well.\
Edit:Though, after looking at it, is it just me or do their recommended enclosure sizes seem awfully small? Only 10 x15 for a wolf? Really? :shrug:

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:28 am

caninesrock wrote:Oh wow, I didn't even know that existed. Thanks for the link, Peacefulward. It's really helpful. ^^
It's mostly for a zoo setting,but I'm sure it can be worked around/tweaked for private ownership requirements as well.\
Edit:Though, after looking at it, is it just me or do their recommended enclosure sizes seem awfully small? Only 10 x15 for a wolf? Really? :shrug:

That seems hard to believe, I guess it's the bare minimum.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:27 am

I would think maybe something like 4 times that size atleast would be better for a wolf. So, like 40 x 60 minimum.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:42 am

There's also plenty of wolfdog owners on Facebook who'd be willing to help answer any questions you have. Tons of groups dedicated to 'em.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”