ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Raccoon Dog hair loss

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxglove

Raccoon Dog hair loss

Postby Foxglove » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:03 am

Hello,
My male Raccoon Dog Balthazar has started losing patches of fur, at first I thought it was my female Lenore over grooming him since the hair was getting shorter around his neck and on his side, where she grooms him most, however his tail has now started to thin out. I can't see it being any kind of parasite or problem with his diet because Lenore's coat is perfectly fine and he is very happy in himself, does anybody have any idea what it could be? I'm not sure how to post pics but as soon as I figure it out I will post some to show you what I mean. Thank you for reading :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Raccoon Dog hair loss

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:12 pm

How long has it been going on? Most members are US based so can't have raccoon dogs. In foxes though it's not uncommon for them to have ugly sheds, sometimes even if they haven't had ugly sheds before. It is shedding season. I'd give it some time to see if that's all it is and clears up on it's own and make sure he gets plenty of taurine and b vitamins. Sometimes individual dietary needs vary and these are needed to help fur grow. If he's not been wormed lately you could try that too as parasites will inhibit digestion.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:38 pm

From my experience with red foxes, it sounds like seasonal shedding. Two of my foxes shed in the worst ways possible. One even rips out patches of his fur at this time. It happens every year though, so I roll with it.

I agree with TG's suggestions too in case it is parasites or a lack of something in the diet.

If his mood is stable, and he's active and healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Foxglove

Postby Foxglove » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:02 am

Thank you for the replies, the bit that got me worried is that they both pretty much shed all their coat about 1-2 months ago however it could be that they aren't quite done yet. I couldn't see it being taurine or vitamin b since they get plenty of whole prey items and raw eggs and are wormed on a regular basis. Thank you for your help, I'm a chronic worrier so when I see patches of fur missing I always assume the worst even when it's nothing :red-face:

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”