PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Post here for food and snack ideas

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby pat » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:39 pm

Nutritional discoveries of what your wolves like to eat.

Ideas on homemade food, snacks or whatever is nutritional

or just tell us what you feed your wolves

Lets share some info on this subject...
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Someone mentioned a pure raw meat diet as a necessity for wolves. I'm planning on obtaining a domesticated wolf, but won't be able to afford feeding it raw meat every day. Is it possible for wolves to survive on a commercial dog food alone? :?:
RIP Martino, I'm sure Olivia misses you.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Well, if you have to stick to just a dog food - I'd say it has to be a high-quality dog food...like where the first ingredient is some sort of meat. (Should be more affordable than straight meat.) But then you should try to supplement it occasionally with meat. (If it's do-able.)
Oh, and I still don't know the definition of "commercial dog-food" - but if you mean the stuff that people sell on TV (in commercials?), then I would Not go for those products (even if they make them sound really good)- it's often not good for them. ...I'd assume it could survive on it though, it's just not really good for them...
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm

FoxAdorer817 wrote:Well, if you have to stick to just a dog food - I'd say it has to be a high-quality dog food...like where the first ingredient is some sort of meat. (Should be more affordable than straight meat.) But then you should try to supplement it occasionally with meat. (If it's do-able.)
Oh, and I still don't know the definition of "commercial dog-food" - but if you mean the stuff that people sell on TV (in commercials?), then I would Not go for those products (even if they make them sound really good)- it's often not good for them. ...I'd assume it could survive on it though, it's just not really good for them...
No, by commercial I mean commercially produced and sold en masse to commercial businesses, such as Costco or Petland. The fact that the company producing it has a television advertising campaign doesn't necessarily mean the food is of poor quality, all we can assume from that is that the company can afford tv air time and has chosen that sector of marketing.
RIP Martino, I'm sure Olivia misses you.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Ohh, ok. Then yeah - it depends on the brand, but I'd assume you'd usually have to get it from one of those places. (Unless the breeder or something made their wolves' diet themselves and sold it- then it would most likely be better.) But yeah.
And I didn't mean all of them are- I just meant as word of caution you probably shouldn't trust all of what they say, and that a lot of what I've seen on TV aren't very good at all (but I guess I have seen a couple that are good.), so, I guess it can be fine - but just watch out and read the label before you buy it. (And I did say 'often', but I realize before I guess I made it sound like All TV products are bad...my bad. Hah.)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
caninesrock

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:49 am

The sanctuary I volunteered at gave the wolves raw beef as their main diet. Other good foods for wolves based on what they eat in the wild would probably be raw venison, raw rabbit, and raw buffalo meat(depending on if buffalo meat is actually bison meat or if it's really buffalo meat because they are 2 different species. Buffalo are animals native to africa. Bison are the north american animals that gray wolves eat.) A large part of wild wolves' diet is also moose, elk, and caribou,but I don't think you can find those kinds of meats at food markets. Raw pork and chicken might be good as well. Be sure to buy meats that have little to no chemical related perservatives added into them and to buy from companies who hadn't added unnatural hormones to the animals they made food of, which could give humans and animals cancer or other deadly diseases. Although wolves eat raw meats in the wild and it's techincally thought that wild animals have the protection they need against bacteria on raw meats it might be best to just heat up the meat a tiny bit to try and kill some of the bacteria just to be on the safe side. Wolves and other wild canines can not get the nutrition they need from domestic dog foods. You have to give them raw meat as their main diet item. The meats can be bought at grocery stores,but try to look for meats that are only advertised as organic. For example,buy free-ranging chickens' meat because those typically don't have hormones added to them. A product will advertise if it comes from free-ranging chickens or is organic in any other way. Health food stores are good for finding organic meats.Another place to get more unusual meats such as venison and rabbit, without having to go out and hunt them yourself, are specialty and exotic meat markets.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
the_randomizer

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby the_randomizer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Think I'm gonna watch this thread, as I need ideas on what to feed a fox, whenever I get one that is :icon-wink:

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”