PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Dingo

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Legend

Dingo

Postby Legend » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:55 am

Hey everyone

I was wondering if even one was aware whether there were any dingoes in private hands with in the US. I have heard conflicting reports about this and was wondering if anyone could offer any insight.

Thanks everyone icon-smile
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dingo

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:59 pm

I was curious about dingoes as well. I found this breeder, though. Haven't heard much about them, so not sure if they're legit. But I came across it, and I figured you'd be interested since no one has answered your question yet. :mrgreen:

http://www.australiandingosusa.com/index.html
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BB

Postby BB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:32 am

I didn't realize people where allowed to export them. Which I think is a good thing as the purebred dingo will be a thing of the past in a few years time around here, I think. People are so stupid, they either shoot it, or feed it or let their dogs breed with them which leads to all sorts of problems.
There are a few people around here which have purebreds as pets, but a dingo doesn't seem to be a "pet" a 100%, it always will have "the dingo" in him...

(BTW, Legend, did you see the photo I've got for you in my "Shhh" thread in the general section?)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm

I didn't think they could be imported either, but maybe they got their dingoes from a zoo or different facility? Or maybe they don't have any dingoes at all. :shock:

I sent them an email asking about their dingoes, but their email address doesn't exist anymore. Maybe they were attempting to get dingoes, but it just didn't work out.

Aren't there Asian Dingoes though?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Legend

Postby Legend » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks for the photo BB, I love it! :peng:

Why does this site remind me of Sibfox? It just seems sketchy to me for some reason. Don't get me wrong I would love it if there was actually a breeder here in the US helping to keep the bloodline pure, but I'm a bit skeptical at the moment for the simple reason that they just popped out of no where.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Same here, Legend. I tend to think good about people though, so I usually try to give them the benefit of the doubt in most instances. In which case, I think they may have tried to start a breeding program but really couldn't.

Does Australia ever make animal exporting exceptions? Or does it just forbid it completely? For example, can a zoo get an animal imported from Australia?
BB

Postby BB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Without looking into it I know they export camel and buffaloes. Not quite sure about kangaroos and koalas (but you do find them in zoos around the world) I guess emus and birds are exported too?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Haha. Could the export any kinds of birds? Like tawny frogmouths do you think? :lol: :mrgreen:
BB

Postby BB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:01 pm

:lol: keep trying!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:58 am

Wallabies are imported from New Zealand because they are feral there. Many of the animals from Australia available now are only so because they were exported before the ban and bred.

I'm sure I had read they do sometimes make exceptions for zoos though.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Legend told me the other day that Ken's exotics has two dingo puppies for sale. No clue how he got em, but figured I should pass along the information to all those who are interested!
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Ash wrote:Legend told me the other day that Ken's exotics has two dingo puppies for sale. No clue how he got em, but figured I should pass along the information to all those who are interested!

Ooooh! I really wish I could take them. In my current situation it would be pretty impossible though. :lol:

Regarding Asian Dingos, according this map (current as of 2006), there are some Dingos present in Asia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dingo-map.png

The pink color indicates 'crossbreeding uncertainty'... I don't know what that means. I guess it means that they have bred with dogs in that area, while the red indicates dingos with very little crossbreeding present. I'm not sure. icon_confused.gif

But it confirms there are Dingos in Asia, so maybe that's how people have gotten a hold of them.

According to the wiki, there are some breeders in the USA and they are even recognized as dogs by certain kennel clubs. One classifies them as a kind of spitz! :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo#As_a ... orking_dog
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Australia is allowed to export domestic animals, but not natives. I guess it depends if they count dingos as domestic or not. So people can move with pets ect. I have heard of people having cockatoos and not being able to bring them back to USA if they move to aussie then plan to move back here.
I have heard from many sources that they just like a domestic dog, like a spitz/shiba type dog in personality. There is no reason for them to be more difficult then other primitive breeds when raised by man. They are like cats, they can be feral and wild but the babies when imprinted are just as domestic as any other.
Elina

Postby Elina » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:02 pm

I met some Dingoes when I collected Freyja.

Though they are cute they do not seem like anything 'special', I have seen domesticated dogs that look he same.

Here in the UK you need a dangerous wild animal license to keep them which seems odd seeing as foxes, raccoons, coati and such do not require this.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:14 pm

I can see how they're seen as "dangerous", as even the native ones quickly lose fear of man. And like Elina said, there are plenty of domestic dog breeds that look like dingoes; there isn't a real "exotic" look to them.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”