PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

African Wild dogs (Painted dogs)

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

African Wild dogs (Painted dogs)

Postby Ash » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:01 am

I've just finished watching some youtube videos of them in the wild. They're absolutely stunning creatures--I don't think I've seen anything like them. Has anyone ever heard of these being exotic pets?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Re: African Wild dogs (Painted dogs)

Postby Alynn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Unfortunately, African Wild Dogs are endangered animals, so they aren't in the (legal) exotic pet trade.

You can "adopt" or sponsor a wild dog though.

http://www.awdczambia.org/Involve_adopt.htm
Legend

Postby Legend » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:58 am

Great topic Ash! I have been wondering this myself lately and was really happy to see the topic.

I've never heard of one as a pet either, but just because they are endangered does not mean that there don't exist some in private hands. There are lots of endangered species that are extremely prolific in captivity. I hope someone else can offer some insight.

Welcome Alynn!!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:57 am

Thanks for the responses guys! It's kind of like red pandas, maybe. They're endangered, but if you have the rare opportunity of finding someone who is willing to sell, you can own one. Painted dogs are absolutely beautiful animals--absolutely gorgeous.

I was curious because I saw on the heading of the EXOTIC DOGS forum it has them listed as example species. Since they were there, I wondered if maybe Pat knew someone or had heard of someone who owned one, seeing as she designed the site.

I wonder if Ken's exotics could get one somehow... :mrgreen: Maybe in a couple of years I'll give him a call and see the possibility and likelihood, and price, of course. That would be awesome. They are stunning creatures!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Puppycrush15

Postby Puppycrush15 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Ash - I had asked Ken before and he said there was a possibility. I LOVE African Wild Dogs and also have my heart set on these guys for the future.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Really? Ken thought it may have been possible? That's great! Hopefully someone will try to import a pair and try and breed em. I feel that is one of the best ways to help conservation--giving animals to responsible individuals as pets.
Legend

Postby Legend » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:40 am

Really? Ken thought it may have been possible? That's great! Hopefully someone will try to import a pair and try and breed em. I feel that is one of the best ways to help conservation--giving animals to responsible individuals as pets.

Agreed. icon_biggin.gif

That is really encouraging Puppycrush about Ken. I really would love to be able to work with the AWD's one day. What exactly did he say if you don't mind me asking? Did he elaborate at all or just say it was possible?
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:02 pm

Some farm in Namibia do own a few individuals. Mostly, these are dogs who lost a leg in a trap or had some other misfortune (My parents travel there from time to time, and they saw them in private hands. But I don't know whether this is strictly legal :icon-wink: ).
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:19 pm

Beautiful picture! It sure can jump high!
Puppycrush15

Postby Puppycrush15 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Legend wrote:

Agreed. icon_biggin.gif

That is really encouraging Puppycrush about Ken. I really would love to be able to work with the AWD's one day. What exactly did he say if you don't mind me asking? Did he elaborate at all or just say it was possible?

I would contact him myself if I were you. Im pretty sure for him to import an AWD for you that you would have to have a USDA. He had told me once he doesn't specially get other species besides what he normally has for people who havent bought from him before, but if you are a previous customer he can order almost 'any species'.
pgh.momma

Postby pgh.momma » Sun May 15, 2011 1:57 am

I love wild dogs and luckily I can go and see them anytime I want in person at the pittsburgh zoo. They are amazing and soooo beautiful. They had a litter last year and the mother could not or would not nurse the pups so they "sprung" a dog from the shelter to nurse the wild painted dog puppies. They all made it and are adorably cute. Wish it was legal to own one, I would be first in that line.
Kibalover667

Postby Kibalover667 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:29 pm

I know this thread is a little bit old, but the okc zoo has like 4 wild dogs maybe more, but they seem like they could make good pets! When I go to the zoo i always go to there enclosure first, and if you whistle and clap they will jump around like any excited dog would. Of course this is just an observation i've made over a few visits to them. And of course I've never physically interacted with them :icon-wink:
Proud owner of a Cat named Oscar, a Kitten named Kleo, a dog named Hershey, and an arctic fox named Kovu.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:57 pm

Unfortunately l looked more into ownership. They are not allowed to be imported into the US since they are CITES I. They are also endangered so you would need a USDI license, and the animals wouldn't really belong to you. :| They would be a part of a conservation project. You would have to give up any babies they had to conservation centers.

I'm hoping maybe that can change, but we'll see. They are so beautiful though, aren't they?
Elina

Postby Elina » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:10 pm

I saw some at the zoo the other week. It was a drive through zoo I had never been too before as we have 2 really near our house and this one was a bit further away (2hours). I put two of the photos on my DA account:
http://corsacfoxes.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d429cdo
http://corsacfoxes.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d429bk3

I have no idea if you can keep them but I adore them so!
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”