PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

African Wild dogs (Painted dogs)

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: African Wild dogs (Painted dogs)

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:42 pm

RabbleFox wrote:Would African Wild Dogs be good candidates for a petting zoo? They are extremely pack orientated and I'm afraid that strangers coming up to the pack isn't a great idea. Even they are super socialized wouldn't their pack behavior have them view the stranger as a pack outsider?

I agree 100%, they definitely would NOT be a good petting zoo animal. Just like coyotes, wolves, and foxes aren't good for that.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm not very familiar with the term of ''petting'' zoo; here, a friend of my brother has a ''petting'' zoo, which is a bit like any normal zoo. He has a coyote, too. He lets people touch animals, but, only those who are potentially less dangerous/unpredictable than others, like the kinkajou, the goats and the emus.

In my head, a petting zoo is like a zoo that allows you to touch certain, less potentially dangerous/unpredictable animals, and only exhibits the other ones that might present a certain danger, like painted dogs. Don't worry, Ash, I do have logic, knowledge and understanding on these animals. I would never expose anyone to the risk of being bitten by one of the animals I plan on including in my project!
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:27 am

Someone in the UK has a breeding trio! http://www.exotickeepersforum.co.uk/php ... =17&t=4170
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Oh gosh that is so exciting!! Maybe now they'll be more available in the pet market! It'll still be difficult to get the permit for them, obviously, but maybe it won't be as difficult to get our hands on them now. :mrgreen:
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:35 am

Hopefully! I think it's such a relief when even one person starts keeping a new type of exotic as a pet, because you know that even if it's difficult is is possible! It would be brilliant if they bred ^.^
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 pm

The Houston Zoo has them. One time I asked the zoo keeper about what kind of interactions she was allowed to have with them and she said she can never go in with them. They have to be in a holding area when she goes in the enclosure. Yet, they also have Maned Wolves at the zoo and I've seen the Maned Wolf keeper in with them. I suppose it can be explained though. There are like 5 or 6 African Wild Dogs in their enclosure and only 2 Maned Wolves in the Maned Wolf enclosure. Also, Maned Wolves in general are the oddballs of the canine family. Besides being unusually anti-social for large canids(most of which live in packs while Maned Wolves usually only live alone or in pairs except when they are raising pups),they also eat mostly plants and fruits(though they do eat some meat) and are more of an omnivore than a carnivore,whereas African Wild Dogs eat if not only,mostly meat and are carnivores.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:24 am

Did the maned wolves smell when you were there? I've heard they are very pungent.

I love the maned wolves. They would be something I would love to own/breed one day.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:31 am

That someone managed to get breeding animals in the UK is really cool.
Would they then be allowed to be moved across EU countries?

I still figure it would be very difficult to get one (or more, as they are pack animals) as a private individual.
But I've had two parrots that are CITES I so I know a bit about how it works (and it's a PITA).
(Permit for buying or selling, permit for advertising, permit for moving to another country with them, permit for doing anything commercial with them, etcetera. And one of mine was an old bird without a permit and I didn't have a chance in the stars to get one for him.)

Is there any difference from CITES I-species to CITES I-species? Because you talk about super-strict regulations in the US, but I know several common parrot species (Moluccan, Goffin and Lesser sulphur-crested cockatoos, Scarlet macaws) that are sold in pet stores over in the states all the time, despite being CITES I. icon_confused.gif
So while I'm not in the US, I'm confused and curious about how CITES works over there.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:40 pm

CITES is an international treaty on international trade. It does not effect in country trade. However, and it sound like the case with you, your country may choose to put extra restrictions on them.

EDIT: one exception I know of is on trapping of native species. CITES sets those limits on trapping of native species for trade. So like for tamandua for Guyana, once a year they issue a number that is allowed to be caught to sell and once that number is reached then they can't get any more and the US importers wont have any again for another year.

In the USA they only put the sort of restrictions you mention on species that are also on the USF&W Endangered Species Act.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Ah, it might be the EU. Because I know that makes it different with CITES, so it might be why it is stricter here.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Here's someone with them: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 952&type=3
Is it the same person as in that forum thread that was linked?

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”