PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

African Wild dogs (Painted dogs)

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: African Wild dogs (Painted dogs)

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Okay, so I've been looking into these guys out of shear curiosity, and I can't quite understand something... WHY exactly are they so critically endangered? The AVERAGE litter of pups is 12, and they can easily have more. Why don't conservation programs actually BREED them!? There was an exceptionally successful 16-pup litter at a zoo last year that was done through AI.

Maybe this sounds ignorant, but what are wild-dog conservationists even DOING? Why don't zoos and conservation programs "force-breed" these guys more often? They always make a point to say "these are the most endangered large-ish mammal." If they wanted to, the US alone could probably produce about 100 puppies in a single year, and from there things could expand exponentially.

So what's the problem here?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Probably because there are only so many zoos with room to take them. They probably cant reintroduce captive raised animals due to habitat loss and imprinting? They wouldnt dream of handing them off to private hands.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:14 pm

:roll:

That's what I suspected...

Hm... This changes my perspective on quite a few things. I can understand large animals that give birth to one baby after a long gestation period, but I don't think there is any excuse for canines or cats to be going extinct when in human hands.

Maybe instead of spending so much money trying and failing to reintroduce a few individual animals back into the wild, they should use their money to build a facility strictly for a certain species? They can try introducing them back into the wild once captive populations are stable.

Thanks for the answer, Lasergrl.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:25 pm

I know that wolves have been handed off to private hands from zoo's so whats the difference really?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Its almost impossible for private people to get the permits for "endangered" not impossible, but close.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 pm

I was looking at endangered species permits and the application forms. It seems pretty difficult to get one, but as Lasergrl said, not impossible. The average person would not be able to do what it takes to acquire the license. I would love to someday participate in maned wolf conservation and the african wild dog, but that'll be a ways down the road for sure. You have to have a lot of experience with "similar" types of animals before you can apply. It's costly to apply for as well--I think it's 200, and the average person will get rejected.

It seems that pretty much if you have the proper facility, means to provide for the animal, are able to contribute to conservation, you would get one. The thing is, in order to apply for the endangered animal you have to already have its enclosure built, all the necessary state/county/local permits already in place, and EVERYTHING worked out before hand. Even if you have that, you may still get rejected for one reason or another, and then you'll be out a couple thousand bucks for building an enclosure. You also have to take tons of pictures of the enclosure.

If you are doing really well as a facility, and are successful, you may apply for a commercial permit to use the animal to make money. You could sell them (to other licensed individuals), sell their fur once they die, etc. However, the commercial permit seems to be the most impossible one to get out of them all.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:55 am

On the wild side one of the main problems is distemper. It was not a native disease to the continent and it has killed massive amounts of the dogs and lions.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:16 am

http://www.canids.org/species/Lycaon_pictus.htm

Scroll down to the section titled "Major Threats" and it will give you details about why the animals are endangered. Many of these reasons are the same reasons conservation organizations can breed the animals,but not release them into the wild.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:48 pm

African Wild Dog (Nutrition Chapter)
http://nagonline.net/HUSBANDRY/Diets%20 ... rition.pdf
sammys

Postby sammys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Beautiful dogs!
Apparently they are the only canids that care for the old and injured as well...
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Nah there was a documentary of the Ethiopian wolf caring for a paralyzed member. Was a long time ago and not online that I know of though.
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:31 am

I plan on opening a small educational petting zoo in the future. Would enjoy having a painted dog. I will contact Ken about them.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 am

They're endangered, and therefore can't be imported or bought or sold. You'd have to get a USDI license (which is super hard to get) and have some "gifted" to you from an AZA zoo. AZA seems to be the only people who have them. There aren't any in private hands.

I would love to someday get the USDI license and try to breed them. There was a very successful litter done through AI (artificial insemination) a few years back, and I think that would be a great way to do things. Maybe it doesn't usually take, but since they're canines, I would think it would. Zoos really don't have the space for them, so they don't breed them often.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am

Chase wrote:I plan on opening a small educational petting zoo in the future. Would enjoy having a painted dog. I will contact Ken about them.

You'd need to have a large pack of them, not just one. And like Ash said, you basically have to be given them, you can't really just go out and buy them, even if you are USDI.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Would African Wild Dogs be good candidates for a petting zoo? They are extremely pack orientated and I'm afraid that strangers coming up to the pack isn't a great idea. Even they are super socialized wouldn't their pack behavior have them view the stranger as a pack outsider?
~RabbleFox

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”