PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Racoon Dogs

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Racoon Dogs

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:31 pm

I saw these guys listed as a "least concern" species, but I haven't ever heard of anyone owning them as a pet. Are they allowed to be imported at all, or is there a reason no one owns these?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Racoon Dogs

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 pm

Illegal to own, import, trade, buy sell, do anything with, considered an invasion threat.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:16 am

Ah. I knew there was a reason. But I couldn't remember what it was. That's a shame--they're so fluffy.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:27 pm

My dreams are crushed. Ever since I saw someone with a pet one on Youtube, I wanted one. They are legal as pets in Germany I think and I think they might be legal pets in the Netherlands as well,but unfortunately not in the US. It sucks that we have such strict laws about owning exotics here. It's probably because of ignorant animal rights groups here that think that private individuals can't possibly study up on and learn the behavior and care requirements of exotics. If zoos can do it, it shouldn't be hard for motivated individuals with the money,experience, knowlegde, and resources they need to own the animal just as well as any zoo would.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:31 pm

I wonder if there's anything we can do about this law to change it. What if we petitioned to get it changed or something? I've been reading up on Raccoon Dogs and they just seem to make the most wonderful pets. Any opinions on if it's possible to get this changed? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ash changing a law in Utah about fox ownership? I dunno... I know this is on a national level, but I feel like if we got enough support, we could do it. And I feel like we could get enough support.

Then again I don't know much about changing laws. xD I'll have to ask my Government teacher... xD (And I probably won't be able to do anything until I turn 18 in February...)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:30 pm

If you dig around on the Fish and Wildlife website you can find instructions on how to petition. But you would need a large organization of people to fight a law like that--and there weren't even enough people who wanted rabies tested on skunks, so that was dropped. There are tons of people in California fighting against the ferret ban, and no progress has been made so far.

HOWEVER. I always feel that any person can make a difference! Yes, it's true that Utah is planning to change the law on foxes (but since it hasn't happened officially yet, I can't say it actually worked). But law makers do listen, even if it seems their ears are full of mud at times, lol.

It's going to be much harder to change a federal law. Especially when it has to do with a species becoming "invasive." It's much harder to fight that argument. You would have to present a proposal to probably get a license specifically for raccoon dogs so they weren't given out to just anybody.

But I believe it can be done if the support is there, and if ample research is done. If you guys want to form an "organization" I would definitely support it and be part of it. I wouldn't mind going to Washington to argue it all out either. :icon-wink:
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks Ash. I'm having trouble finding the place where it talks about how to petition... Ugh maybe I'll just google it.

Depending on what I find and such, I'll let you all know what my plans are. Raccoon dogs are really special to me, so I hope that, by some stroke of luck, this all works out. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:05 pm

I don't think it'll work since most people in north america don't know what a raccoon dog is. Mention a raccoon dog and they ask if you meant to say raccoon and then when you explain that's it's a raccoon DOG,not a raccoon, then they ask if you mean a coon hound. :roll: However, I'm in anyway if we do start a petition because I really want these dogs in the United States where atleast some of them will be safe from the sadistic chinese fur farms that skin them alive. :(
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm pretty sure it's Japan that is holding exportation of raccoon dogs, not the US. I don't think Japan is going to fall to a petition, just saying :P
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:24 pm

What do you mean, Juska? It's illegal to own a Raccoon Dog in the US, no matter where it's from. I know of a breeder in Europe, so if Japan isn't shipping them out then it's still possible to get one. The only problem is that they're illegal on a federal level. :/
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Meh, I was under the impression that Japan was the one making it impossible to get one.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Juska wrote:Meh, I was under the impression that Japan was the one making it impossible to get one.

Nope. It's the US. They are considered a potentially invasive species. Many are kept as pets in Germany and the Netherlands though.

Elina

Postby Elina » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:02 pm

People keep them here in the UK and yes they are lovely animals BUT allot of information on the internet is wrong regarding them as pets as they are not quite as dog like as how people portray them.
A huge number of sites basically describe them as big fat cuddly dogs but allot of that is to get people to feel so horribly bad about them being used for fur.
They are very much like foxes not so much like dogs despite the name.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble there, just thought you should know.

It would be great if you could get it made legal as then I can actually get some.You guys do not understand how hard it is every year when people offer me these cute cuddly babies yet I have to say no :icon-frown: .
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Yep. I know they don't act like dogs. For one thing ,their diet primarily consists of fruits rather than meat. They do eat some small rodents and crabs though. I first got intersted in them when I saw the movie Pom Poko. The Disney dub refered to them as raccoons,but I paused the movie when I saw a picture of one in my Wild Dogs ZooBook and then I compared it to the movie and I was like, "Hey! That's not a raccoon. That's a raccoon dog." So, then I started researching them. I still think it's horrible that they get killed for their fur even if they are one of the most distant relatives of domestic dogs and one of the least dog-like wild canids.

Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Elina wrote:People keep them here in the UK and yes they are lovely animals BUT allot of information on the internet is wrong regarding them as pets as they are not quite as dog like as how people portray them.
A huge number of sites basically describe them as big fat cuddly dogs but allot of that is to get people to feel so horribly bad about them being used for fur.
They are very much like foxes not so much like dogs despite the name.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble there, just thought you should know.

It would be great if you could get it made legal as then I can actually get some.You guys do not understand how hard it is every year when people offer me these cute cuddly babies yet I have to say no :icon-frown: .

Yes, that was my understanding, that they were much more fox-like in behavior. The thing is though is that it's my understanding that they can be kept much more like a dog-- as in, they only need a fenced backyard instead of an enclosure like a fox, since they can't jump or climb. Here is where I got my info: http://www.wasbeerhonden.nl/

Yes, another Pom Poko fan! :D Love it. I'm actually having some people over to watch that wove tonight :3

Alright, I'm going to start a thread on this over in the legal issues section. ^^

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”