PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Racoon Dogs

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Whatsername

Re: Racoon Dogs

Postby Whatsername » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:40 pm

For some reason I can't figure out how to edit my old post. :/ Anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS2UxyCN ... ure=fvwrel
I know nothing is really happening in this video, but it just shows how beautiful these animals are...
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:25 am

@Whatsername: If you type in Ponchi Tanuki or Raccoon Dog Pet into a Youtube search you'll see someone's pet raccoon dog in action. Unfortunately, Ponchi had to be put to sleep because of old age. The last video of him is a really sad one of his owner having to drive him to the vet to be put down. All the other videos are really cute though with Ponchi being really playful.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:09 pm

http://www.treasureranch.com/treasure/r ... civet.html

Hey how about a civet since raccoon dogs are illegal? They look pretty similar, sort of. I've seen them at my hope this year.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:37 pm

I've only seen Asian Palm civets available in the US. Are there other species in the US that you know of? I'm pretty sure civets are illegal to import--but don't quote me on that.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Nah. Civets are cute,but they have totaly different behavior from raccoon dogs. They're related to genets,so I'm guessing they'd probably be simiar(independent and not very affectionate. basically like tiny feral cats. lol. XD ) Genets are not even in the cat family but the info I read about them from Janda Exotics made them sound almost exactly like cats only much wilder. Apparently they're indepent, they purr,mew, and hiss, and some other cat stuff. I don't remember exactly.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:12 am

Ah! What an adorable animal. I guess I always assumed civets were the same thing as genets but I suppose I was wrong. Still, it is about the personality of the Raccoon Dog, and I won't give up my fight, but I will look into civets more. :D
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Whatsername wrote:Ah! What an adorable animal. I guess I always assumed civets were the same thing as genets but I suppose I was wrong. Still, it is about the personality of the Raccoon Dog, and I won't give up my fight, but I will look into civets more. :D

Wait. I'm confused. Are you saying civets do or don't have the same personality as raccoon dogs?

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:13 pm

From what I understand civets do not have the same personality. I think Whatsername was saying they don't, and that's why she would still want a raccoon dog.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Ash wrote:From what I understand civets do not have the same personality. I think Whatsername was saying they don't, and that's why she would still want a raccoon dog.

Oh. Ok. Yeah. I thought they were totally different personalitywise,but I didn't understand her post. Thanks. :)

Civets and genets are adorable,but after researching them a couple weeks back, I decided they weren't for me. I don't even like domestic cats that much so it wouldn't make sense for me to get a tiny wild animal that acts a lot like cat,but is even more unpredictable, independent, and less tame than one.

Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Yes, it is what Ash said. I realize now I was vague. xD Sorry!

I personally love cats, so I am definitely interested! But still... Tanuki are just too awesome.
bailee

Postby bailee » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Having a raccoon dog as a pet would be awesome. They're so adorable and even kind of friendly for being wild! I saw a short-furred one in Japan this June (and a bunch of long-haired ones), and he approached my friends and I! (there was two that came semi-close, only one that actually came up to us.)

I was so tempted to pet him, but then I reminded myself that he could have a disease of some sort and I was in another country... wasn't going to risk it!

I attached a picture- I was using the short lens on my camera, so he was really that close!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    Sabriel (rabbit - male)
    Silas (rabbit - male)
    Solara (rabbit - female)
    Natasha (cat - female)
    Pepper (cat - female)
    Kiba (dog - male)
    Lady (dog - female)
bailee

Postby bailee » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 pm

oh my goodness, how cute!
    Sabriel (rabbit - male)
    Silas (rabbit - male)
    Solara (rabbit - female)
    Natasha (cat - female)
    Pepper (cat - female)
    Kiba (dog - male)
    Lady (dog - female)
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:54 am

Only watched the first video so far...agh, so cute...the way it moves/behaves, just so playful and cheery. Very cute. If they were legal, I would probably end up getting one someday.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:31 am

You are so lucky bailee. I wish I could interact with a racoon dog. Beautiful photo by the way.
I feel in love with raccoon dogs when I saw the videos of the one called Ponchi on youtube. I had planned to get one as a pet but then found this forum and to my disapointment, found out they were illegal in the US becuase of invasiveness and had my dreams crushed. That's when I decided to settle on a fox as I thought they were the only legal canids to have, until I realized it was legal to have coyotes,jackals, and pure wolves as well in some states, and decided on really wanting a coyote, eastern coyote,gray wolf, and golden jackal.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”