PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New Guinea Singing dogs (NG dingo)

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Solo

New Guinea Singing dogs (NG dingo)

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 am

Just thought I would let folks know that there are some New Guinea Singing dogs (small version of the Aussie Dingo) available in rescue right now. There are two bonded pairs, a lone female, and some older pups...varying degrees of sociability; all will require secure fencing and an understanding of the breed. Contact me for more info.

Animal Planet video about Singers here: http://animal.discovery.com/videos/dogs ... g-dog.html
caninesrock

Re: New Guinea Singing dogs (NG dingo)

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:00 am

NGSDs are NOT small versions of Australian dingoes. They are a distinct subspecies of dingo that's native to Asia. They have different behaviors and looks than dingoes. They are also about the same size as a dingo.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Solo

Postby Solo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi Caninesrock,
This is the animal I'm referring to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Guinea_Singing_Dog

Not sure which Asian animal you're thinking of. NGSD are fom New Guinea. They have just recently been distinguished from the Aussie dingo via DNA, but the folks who have handled both will tell you that although the Aussies are a bit larger, they are otherwise almost identical. :)

I've never had hands-on with the Aussie dingoes myself, but the NSGD are neat little dogs. :)
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:06 pm

I know what a NGSD is. New Guinea is considered part of Asia. I also know that they are not that much smaller than dingoes. So, they are not a small version of a dingo. They are also they're own distinct species from the dingo. They are sometimes classified as a subspecies of the domestic dog, sometimes as a subpsecies of the dingo, and sometimes as the subspecies of a gray wolf. They are not the same thing as a dingo though.

Also, their behavior is very different. Dingoes are pack animals like wolves. Singers typically only live in pairs:
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/ ... g_dog.html
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 pm

They are not their own species from the dingo.

Dog, dingo, wolves and Singing dogs are all one species: Canis lupus

Dog, dingo, SD are all the same subspecies: familiaris
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:03 pm

I meant they're not the same species in the sense that they have different behaviors,diet needs,etc. For example, dogs don't tpyically howl,unless it's a northern breed like a husky or malamute,but howling is a large part of wolf and dingo communication.Dogs can live on dog food,but wolves and dingoes can't. Dogs are tame,but dingoes and wolves are not and Singers are only semi-tame. Dogs require no permit and come in many different shapes and sizes. Wolves(unless it's a subspecies like say an Arabian Wolf) ,dingoes, and New Guinea Singing Dogs come in only one strandard body structure: The size of a large dog with pointed ears and a narrow,pointed muzzle. Not sure on Singers about the permit though,since they've had a lot of scientific controversy around them. Originally they were classified as their own species of Canis hallstromi,but then were changed to a subspecies of dingo, at one point considered a domestic dog breed, and finally put as a subspecies of the gray wolf. The dingo was also once considered Canis familiaris dingo before it was changed to Canis lupus familiaris dingo,back when the domestic dog was classfied as its own seperate species from the wolf. My point was that someone that knows alot about NGSDs doesn't necessarily know anything about dingoes like dietary needs, behavior,etc. It's similiar to how most people know how to care for a domestic dog,but very few know how to properly care for a wolf. You can't have a wolf sit on the couch with you while you watch tv like you can a dog for example,but some people without knowledge will try and fail. So,it's incorrect to imply that dingoes and NGSDs are the same just as much as its incorrect to imply a wolf and dog are the same. They may be gentically identical,but there are major differences in behavior,care, and even legal status of the 4 species.

The scientific names are different too:
Dogs=Canis lupus familiaris,formely known as just Canis familiaris
Dingoes=Canis lupus dingo,formely known as Canis familiaris dingo
New Guinea Singing Dogs=Canis lupus hallstromi, formerly known as Canis familiaris hallstromi, Canis hallstromi,and Canis lupus dingo hallstromi or Canis familiaris dingo hallstromi or just Canis dingo hallstromi
Main Species of Gray Wolf=Canis lupus lupus

There has been considerable controversy regarding the taxonomic classification of New Guinea Dingoes. In 1958, Dr Ellis Troughton examined the two Singer specimens from the Taronga Zoo in Sydney.[5] Subsequently, the New Guinea Singing Dog was classified as a distinct species and was named Canis hallstromi (in honor of Sir Edward Hallstrom). Singing Dogs have been reclassified several times and have variously been called Canis lupus hallstromi or Canis familiaris hallstromi. They have been classed as variants of the dingo or domestic dog. They have been called Canis dingo and Canis dingo hallstromi.[6]

Most authors class the New Guinea Singing Dog either as either a separate species or a domestic dog. However Singers are classed, several facts are constant: the NGSD is not genetically or ecologically exchangeable with any other canid population, and the NGSD is an evolutionarily significant unit.[7] Mammal Species of the World lists these dogs as part of Canis lupus dingo provisionally separate from Canis lupus familiaris.[8]

Also, Singers and Dingoes vary in what colors they can come in:
Black and Tan Singer:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ration.jpg
Typical Singer Color(Notice the very dark gray/black around the white of the muzzle or covering the whole muzzle. Dingoes don't have that usually:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UNI_4121.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kao_r ... ture_2.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kao_in_the_truck.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:D%26J_1.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kao_at_dog_park_2.jpg
Pups are born with a dark chocolate brown pelt with gold flecks and reddish tinges, which changes to light brown by the age of six weeks. Adult coloration occurs around four months of age. For adult dogs in the wild, the colors brown, black and tan or black have been reported, all with white points. For dogs in captivity, the colors brown, black with tan on the snout, legs and belly and dark (brown with a strong upper layer of dark-tipped guard hair) have been verified. Brown colored variants include: light brown, reddish-brown or reddish-yellow with lighter shades on the belly, inner surface of the legs and the ventral brush of the tail. The sides of the neck and zonal stripes behind the scapula are golden. Black and very dark guard hair is generally lightly allocated over the hair of the spine, concentrating on the back of the ears and the surface of the tail over the white tip. The muzzle is always black on young individuals. Generally, all colors have white markings underneath the chin, on the paws, chest and tail tip. About one third also have white markings on the muzzle, face and neck. Brindled individuals have not been observed. By 7 years, the black muzzle begins to turn gray

Dingo colors:
The fur of an adult dingo is short, bushy on the tail, and varies in thickness and length depending on the climate. The fur colour is mostly sandy to reddish brown, but can include tan patterns and be occasionally black, light brown, or white. Completely black dingoes were probably prevalent in Australia in the past, but have been sighted only rarely in recent times and are now more common in Asia than in Australia.[8]

Most dingoes are at least bicoloured, with small white markings on the chest, muzzle, tag, legs, and paws being the most common feature. In the case of reddish individuals, there can be small, distinctive, and dark stripes on the shoulders. All other colour and colour-patterns on adult dingoes are regarded as evidence for interbreeding with other domestic dogs.[3]

Tpyical Dingo Color(Notice that there's no white tail tip like on the New Guinea Singing Dog:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nullarbor_Dingo.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... me_dad.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... ingo_2.jpg
Rare White Dingo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rare_ ... _dingo.jpg

Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:34 am

If anyone wants a NGSD, I am in direct contact with the lead conservator from the NGSD Conservation Society; he helps re-home adults, and breeds pups, in order to establish a good population in the future. They're amazing animals, but like foxes, NOT for everyone, at all. They are not like dogs.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 am

That's neat. Could you post that information in the breeder's section? I'd be interested in that. I think if dingos were more widely available more people would have them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 am

Chase wrote:If anyone wants a NGSD, I am in direct contact with the lead conservator from the NGSD Conservation Society; he helps re-home adults, and breeds pups, in order to establish a good population in the future. They're amazing animals, but like foxes, NOT for everyone, at all. They are not like dogs.

I'd like to see this breeder too. I've always thought they were extremely rare and not typically just sold to the public like that. You must have some awesome connections!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Juska, I will contact you by private message later today. :)
jamespellosma

Postby jamespellosma » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:32 pm

GHAAAAAAA I want one soooo bad! They're freaking adorable and they're like a perfect fox. They are more social and don't smell. I've completely given up on foxes because of the smell, this is my alternative!!
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:44 pm

They're actually incredibly hard to train, shy, and are master escape artists. They're also extremely rare and I would imagine they cost bit a large sum of money.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
jamespellosma

Postby jamespellosma » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:26 pm

They're just like a stubborn dog. Hard but possible to train. And surprisingly they're not that expensive. They cost less than a purebred champion line golden retriever.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:09 pm

If you join the yahoo groups, you can talk directly with breeders. I've done that and read through all of the posts. You should definitely do that if you're really wanting one. Since they're not legal where I'm at, I kind of lost interest. I don't know if they're the type of animal I really want to go through all the legalities for. Maybe one day.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 am

jamespellosma wrote:They're just like a stubborn dog. Hard but possible to train. And surprisingly they're not that expensive. They cost less than a purebred champion line golden retriever.

I'm not sure I would call them "just like a stubborn dog". Have you ever trained one? NGSD are an exotic and exotics tend to be harder to train/or need to be trained differently than you would train a dog.
~RabbleFox

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”