PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

So how are Coyotes as pets?

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Wolf67

So how are Coyotes as pets?

Postby Wolf67 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:15 pm

I was looking at some Fox breeders websites and some of them also raise Coyotes as well and sell them as pets. From what I researched online there as sly as a Fox and they like to get into everything and they like to play games with their owners if they trust you enough. I don't plan on getting a Coyote anyway since there illegal in my state alongside Wolves and Wolf Hybrids. I'm just curious if anyone here owns a Coyote I hear of more Fox and Wolf and Wolf Hybrid owners and hardly any Coyote owners are they any different than raising a Wolf or Fox?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: So how are Coyotes as pets?

Postby sarajeku » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't own one, but I work with two.
However, they're both rehab babies that were taken from the wild. One is unreleasable due to a disability and will be staying at the refuge. The other was brought in as a wolf, and we discovered as he aged that he was actually a coyote (they look very similar at 2 weeks old lol), so he is also too tame to be released. We're trying to distance ourselves for his release, but it's still uncertain.

I can't speak for those raised as pets, but the two I work with are both very snappy and very destructive. The male can be very aggressive at times, seemingly for no reason. He will just walk around and growl. But he does also have times (on his own terms) when he can be very sweet. As long as he knows you well. Like foxes, they don't like to be held still. The female is very sensitive to sounds, especially female voices. As soon as she hears a sound she doesn't like, she will howl and cry until you stop.
Coyotes are a lot more 'snappy' and unpredictable than wolves, from what I have seen.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Well, I found this topic on Sarajeku's 'Wolf or Coyote' thread and looked at it, and the person describes how a coyote compares to a wolfdog.

The topic:
http://wolfdogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=225

"She is very aggressive with her food more then my high content wolfdog pup, she will snarl and actually try to attack but I have been working with her on it and she is doing better, all I have to say is "no!" and she leaves it alone. She is also aggressive with other people, and everyone brings her raw meat to try and befriend her but it never works, my dad tries messing with her everyday and feeding her but she still will get mean and she bit him a couple weeks ago while I was holding her up. Me on the other hand she is fine with and I can pick her up and walk her on a leash but if someone else comes around or makes any noise she freaks out and acts crazy. She acts fine in the house though but of course the little devil isn't potty train and goes to the bathroom in the house. She let's me give her baths and everything. When she was little she use to jump up on my couch and sit with me. lol
Now they say you have to have patience to own a wolfdog but owning a coyote requires a lot more. lol I wouldn't give her up for the world though."

Though she does specify that she was a wild-born coyote and taken in at around one month of age.

Here's a video of a pet coyote who seems to be well-socialized:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcQDZWHrGTU
They specify that the coyote in the video was bottle-raised.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:28 pm

I'm sure if bottle-raised they can turn out fine, but always expect for the worst with an exotic. Even a bottle-raised fox can turn out aggressive and stand-offish.

The coyote I worked with was exceptionally nice. She was very cuddly, loved humans, and loved playing with both humans and dogs. She would howl whenever you howled (and then she would never stop, lol). She was really sweet though.

She was very destructive though, but she did have a small enclosure, so I can't blame her there. And I'm pretty sure she would mark like most exotics. She would also play extremely rough, but I think that's because she never was taught how to play nice when she was little. She never made me bleed, but she would break the skin. I would really like to know if this can be trained out of them if you get a bottle-raised pup.

Now, I only know this one coyote and I can't compare her to any other since I've only met one. It could be they are not all as well-mannered as her. She was raised to like people, but not really to be a pet. So she is people-friendly but really rough sometimes.

In personality she was really crazy and wild, full of energy, and ALWAYs, ALWAYs wanting human attention. The moment she was let out of her cage though for a run around the yard she would go straight for the rabbit enclosure and watch them through the chainlink. It was kind of funny.

She had a strong prey drive to, so you probably couldn't keep her with anything smaller than her. She got along great with the male red fox there, but once they both grew up she just became too rough in her play.

In Illinois coyotes are a part of the dangerous mammal list. You can own one if you are USDA licensed, and if you have liability insurance up to $100,000. In all honesty, being USDA licensed is not that bad and not too hard to do--it just seems a bit intimidating at first. You would have to educate/exhibit with your coyote, but I would love to do that. Liability insurance for exotic animals is also not that expensive (there's a thread on it either in the General section or the Legalities section, can't remember which...). So if you did those two things you could have a coyote.

I really would like to have one someday, but probably not anytime soon. Tiny Tracks sells coyotes as pets and so does Hillview Exotics. I've seen them for sale other places, but those are the two that I know of off the top of my head.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:02 pm

If you really want to know you can start at the beginning of this and follow along http://www.dailycoyote.net/?beginning=true

Though I'm sure all aren't as nice as him, just like all foxes aren't sweet.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:26 am

There's a nonfiction novel, "The Daily Coyote" written about a lady's experience with a pet orphaned coyote that she hand raised. It should give you somewhat of an idea on what to expect,but keep in mind that the one she had was hand-raised. Also, keep in mind that coyotes may not be legal pets in your area and even if they are legal, you will most likely need a special permit to keep one.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
amyers

Postby amyers » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:02 pm

A rehabber I know had an unreleasable coyote, and he was as sweet as can be.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 pm

This is a video of the two I work with at the refuge. I'm completely in love with them. :)
I missed the male's howl. The video starts at the end of it. You can hear the little girl's howl though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft9GhoUXlbo
Sharsny

Postby Sharsny » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:08 pm

I got my coyote pet in a very strange way. She evidently was housed by someone in the neighborhood because she had a band around her neck. I kept her over night at my neighbors request (she had a dog), but she escaped the next day when I came home. At 7pm the dog catcher showed up at my front door, 6'5 and 285 lbs, and it took him 20 min to talk me into taking her in for "foster care". I just had my dog put down 6 months earlier and did want a dog to run with, but not so soon. Well she was the weirdest dog I ever had and I didn't know she was a coyote for 8 months. A man walking behind us in the wash told me she was, because he tracks packs of coyotes for a living. I had taken her in to the humane society to get her fixed and shots. They gave me a strange look and called her a Shepherd/mix. She was shy and didn't like men, so my son thought a man had mistreated her. Later we found out that was true and she had been a backyard dog. I just kept treating her like a dog because I thought she was and pretty soon she had me trained. I could run with her but it had to be off leash or she would cut in front of me and trip me. I had a whole chicken on the table and when I got back the whole thing was missing, black plastic plate and all. Took me 24 hours to find the black plate in the backyard - I was shocked, she ate the whole thing. She didn't bark or make any noise the first two years I had her until she was 4, then she started barking like a dog. I've had her 10 years now (12 years old) and she's been a great pet. Packs with me everywhere, never need to put her on a leash except when other human beings are around. She used to take herself 3 houses down to my neighbor to visit for the evening and the neighbor would call me to tell me she was sending her home and she would walk home by herself. People thought she would run away or get lost, but she was too smart for that to happen. She had the rule of the cul-de-sac and all the dogs and peeps loved her! She had them trained to give her a milkbone when they got home before they went into the house to see their own dogs. She was very, very social and fun! She refused to play 'fetch' if you threw the ball she would get it and take it to her bed. She liked to be 'chased' instead. So she would pick up her baby (toy) and get me or the kids to chase her around the house and outside. Her game was keep away. I had my son's pit bull/boxer puppy a lot and she would take him around to the back in the containment area (through the bars) and then come back without him. She kept trying to lose him with that strategy and I have to admit she almost succeeded. She loved other dogs and when we were living on a ranch she befriended the neighbors dog and spent hours with him. They would both run into the ranch area with a 'real' coyote chasing them. They had hours of fun. Downside - she doesn't like music, especially guitar music and my son played guitar. She was terrified of thunder and would shake - Rescue Remedy the best treatment. She had to have the back windows down in the car and would bug me to death by putting her head on my shoulder until I put the window down. (I told you she had me trained?) She had to have chicken and would bug me to death if I didn't have any. She did eat regular dog food too, but when she was 8 somehow we got in the habit. She is a real pack animal and very social, so I couldn't leave her at the house alone for long periods of time. She shed twice a year and I could have made 5 blankets a year from the hair - lot, lot, lot of hair. She would nose me in the ribs when I was working on the computer because she wanted something, food, outside or walk - it felt like a porpoise nose and hurt. Overall, I'm thankful for the experience and she was the SMARTEST dog I ever had. She was a great companion and very intuitive.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:42 pm

That's very odd that the shelter thought she was a dog. It's cool that you got to keep a coyote though. Do you have any pictures of her?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 am

Sometimes people see only what they expect to see. I'm assuming that the animal shelter does get a lot of coyotes in who need their rabies vacc and spaying! Plus not everyone is as knowledgeable about the differences between a coyote and a dog. I would know one immediately but if you've never seen one up close or even watched a program about them, you might mistake it for a dog (maybe). I'm surprised the vet didn't say anything. A vet probably should know whats a dog and what a coyote-in-dogs-clothing is.

That was a really sweet story about your coyote. Mayhaps I will get one someday....
~RabbleFox
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:15 pm

Awww That was such a great story about your coyote! Please please please post pictures!! I love coyotes!
I'm sorting through pictures of Totem now so I can post new pictures of him. Coyotes are the best animals. :mrgreen:
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Yay Totem pictures!

If anything were to every happen, would you take Totem, Sarajeku? Do you think it would be difficult to have him more as a pet than as sanctuary animal? I would think he would need an enclosure and wouldn't be able to come into the house all the time. Would you be able to train him to be more of a pet or is it "too late"? Now that I think of it, does Totem know any tricks?
~RabbleFox
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:59 pm

I would think an animal shelter should be able to tell what's a dog and what isn't as well. Judging from the reaction of the shelter she brought the animal to for it's shots, they realized something was off about the "dog".

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm

RabbleFox wrote:Yay Totem pictures!

If anything were to every happen, would you take Totem, Sarajeku? Do you think it would be difficult to have him more as a pet than as sanctuary animal? I would think he would need an enclosure and wouldn't be able to come into the house all the time. Would you be able to train him to be more of a pet or is it "too late"? Now that I think of it, does Totem know any tricks?

I've actually had this talk with my boss and yes, of course I would take him! I love that little coyote so much I couldn't bear it if something happened to him. I'd even take his bloodhound companion, Reba, if needed. But yes. I would absolutely 100% definitely take him home. Yes yes 100000 times yes. :lol:

He has lived indoors before and he does prefer his enclosure. But I have property large enough to build an amazing enclosure for him in my hometown. I'm in the process of saving up for an enclosure there anyway, now that I've graduated. But it's for a wolfdog.
He actually does do tricks, walk on a leash (rarely), and he's more gentle (with me only) than my collie dog is. If those photos aren't on his thread, let me know.. they are on my facebook and I can post them. :mrgreen:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”