PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Exotic Canines that Could Potentailly Be Kept as Pets

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Exotic Canines that Could Potentailly Be Kept as Pets

Postby caninesrock » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:13 pm

I decided to make a list.

Actively Bred Wild Canids
1.Coyote(possibly 1 or 2 breeders maybe more)
2.Gray Fox
3.Swift Fox(only one breeder as far as I know)
4.Arctic Fox
5.Red Fox
6.Corsac Fox(a small amount of breeders in the UK)
7.Bat-eared Fox(bred in the UK? Ken's exotics sometimes gets wild caught breeding pairs for import though.)
8.Pale Fox(only one breeder though and his foxes are for sale).(Unsure on animals legal status though. It is listed Data Deficient on the Endangered Species Redlist,but the Smalleared Dog was once listed as that and has now been changed to being Near Threatened).
9.Fennec Fox

Actively Bred but Extremely Hard to Get Outside of Native Country,But Not Totally Impossible
1.Domesticated Silver Fox(They can be imported from the Russian Institute,but this isn't easy and it's the only way you can get them since the institute neuters and spays all animals before selling and monopolizes breeding rights of them.)

Actively Bred Wild Canids but Illegal to Keep in US
1.Raccoon Dogs(actively bred in some European countries)(They are not endangered so theoretically could be kept as pets if they weren't illegal because of fear of them becoming an invasive species.)

Actively Bred Canid Hybrids
1.Wolfdog
2.Wolamute(a designer dog that is a cross between a timber wolf and an alaskan malamute.It's really hard to find a breeder of them that isn't just a scammer though.)
3.Wolador(a desinger dog that is a cross between a labrador retriever and a timber wolf. Same as the Wolamute, it is really hard to find a breeders who isn't just a scammer.)
4. Czech Vclack/Czechoslovakian Wolfdog(They're hard to find,but there are some legitamate US breeders of them that can be found with a lot of looking around on the US officail Czech Vclak club site.)
5. Saarloos Wolfhond(The Saarloos wolfhond is a wolfdog breed that is bred in Europe. They are not impossible to get,but you have to get some imported into the United States,which probably couldn't be done by a broker since they're techincally not wild animals,but considered a domestic dog breed. So, you'd have to either do all the importing yourself or hope the breeder you purchased from would help you with it.)

Actively Bred Feral Dogs
1. Carolina Dog(Native breed so there are likely a few breeders.)
2. Canaan Dog(rare in US,but some do exsist).
3. New Guinea Singing Dog(unsure on status giving disagreements on whether its a domestic dog breed or a subspecies of dingo in scientific communities. If it's the later, it's listed as Endangered on the Endangerd Species and may not be allowed as a pet.)
4. Basenji

Not Actively Bred,but Still Legal to Get Wild Canids
1.Crab-eating Fox
2.Culpeo
3.Chilla
4.Pampas Fox
5.Hoary Fox
6.Kit Fox
7.Side-Striped Jackal
8.Tibetan Fox
9.Golden Jackal
10.Black-backed Jackal
11.Cape Fox
12.Blandford's Fox
13.Rupell's Fox
14.Indian Fox

Not Actively Bred Hybrids,But Still Legal and Possible to Get
1.Coydog
2. Eastern Coyote(I think. I'm pretty sure they're not endangered.)
3. Coywolf(may be the same thing as Eastern Coyotes according to some scientists.)

Not Actively Bred Feral Dogs,but Still Legal and Possible to Get
1. Indian Pariah Dogs
2. Telomian Dog(They are extremely rare in the US,but not totally impossible to get.)
3.Avuvi
4.AfriCanis
5.Malayasian Dog(possbily the same breed as Telomian Dog)
6.Mexican Mayan Dog
More info on this breeds here:
http://www.indog.co.in/AboriginalNativeBreeds.html

Canid Hybrids that Are or Once Were Actively Bred,but Impossible to Get As Pets
1.Lupo Italiano(Italian government experiment wolfdog)
2.Kunming Wolfdog(Chinese government experiment wolfdog)
3.American Tundra Sheperd(abandoned United States goverment experimenal project wolfdog)
4.Sulimov Dog(Russian experimental jackal-dog hybrid breed)
5.South African Experimetnal Attack Dogs(an experimental police dog breed bred,but since abandoned, by the South African goverment, which involved crossing wolves with german shepards.)
6.Unnamed Experimental German Breed(result of crossing wolves with poodles)
7.Unnamed Experimental Russian Police Dog Wolfdog breed
For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves_as_ ... ng_animals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfdog
http://dogbreeds.bulldoginformation.com ... brids.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulimov_dog

Wild Canids that Are Most Likely Not Legal to Get
1.Red Wolf(critically endangered.)
2. Small-eared Dog(near threatened)
3. Sechuran Fox(sadly :( )(near threatened)
4. Bush Dog(near threatened)
5. Dhole(definitely illegal. on invasive species list and endangered.)
6.African Wild Dog(endangered)
7. Maned Wolf(near threatened)
8.Island Gray Fox(critically endangered)
9.Darwin's Fox(critically endangered)
10.Australian Dingo(Vunerable)
11.Ethiopian Wolf(Endangered)
12.Gray Wolf(on Us Endangered Species Act)
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Exotic Canines that Could Potentailly Be Kept as Pets

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:15 pm

The dhole, maned wolf, bushdog, and African wild dog are not legal to own in the US as a pet and cannot be imported unfortunately--I'm just confirming that they're illegal since you seemed a bit uncertain. ;) (you have no idea how much I would love to have a maned wolf!!)

Great list, by the way. It looks like you spent a bunch of time on it. Very nice job. I really wanted to get a list like that up and going, but I never had time (and it would have been a pain!). Thanks for taking the time to put it up.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:25 am

The gray wolf is legal to own in some states.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:56 pm

The US Endangered species act is Federal and effects all states. If a species is on the list it can only be owned with a USDI permit.
http://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/reg.pdf
http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/Species ... apstatus=1
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:38 pm

After doing some more looking I found that these are the ones that are illegal:

On USFWS Endangered Species List:
1. African Wild Dog
2. Dhole
3. Maned Wolf
4. Gray Wolf
5. Ethiopian Wolf
6. Island Fox
7.Red Wolf

Subspecies:
Northen Swift Fox
San Joaquin Kit Fox
San Miguel Island Fox
Santa Catalina Island Fox
Santa Cruz Island Fox
Santa Rosa Island Fox
Midwest Wolf(gray wolf subspecies)
Mexican Gray Wolf
all subspecies of Dhole
all subspecies of African Wild Dog
all subspecies of Ethiopian Wolf

Not listed(Possibly legal?):
Northern Rocky Mountain Gray Wolf (except for in Wyoming)
Mackenzie Valley Wolf

Cites I Subspecies Not Listed on US Endangered Species List:
Arabian Wolf
Indian Wolf

Cites I Species Not on US Endangered Species List:
Bush Dog

Cites II can be owned(Possbily legal?):
Vancouver Island Wolf(Cites II,which means it can be owned)
Darwin's Fox(Cites II,which means it can be owned)

Endangered but not on Cites or US Endangered Species list(Possibly legal?):

Short-eared Dog
Sechuran Fox
Dingo
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

tess

Postby tess » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:09 am

so the singing dogs---legal or not? cuz they are really cute, a family zoo i know has some. what are they like? anyone with any experience with them?
I DON'T OWN ANIMALS, ANIMALS OWN ME
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:20 am

I'm pretty sure the singing dogs are bred as domestics and fully legal. They're considered a breed, like basenjis.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:46 am

tess wrote:so the singing dogs---legal or not? cuz they are really cute, a family zoo i know has some. what are they like? anyone with any experience with them?

Singing Dogs are legal either way since the dingo,which the Singing Dog is sometimes classified as a subspecies of, is legal and the domestic dog is obviously legal. The Singing Dog itself was not listed on Cites or the US Endangered Species Act.It depends on the state though I guess on what they choose to classify them as that will determine whether or not you can treat it as having an ordinary dog or if the state requires a permit like it would for a dingo.

tess

Postby tess » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 pm

does anyone own one? looking to find out info on their temperment, what to feed them, etc.
I DON'T OWN ANIMALS, ANIMALS OWN ME
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:21 pm

I have good news. You can own cetrain subspeices of the wolf which are not endangered. Only certain subspecies are listed on the US endangered species act.

What is the legal status of the gray wolf in the United States?
Gray Wolves were once the most widely distributed wild mammals. They inhabited most of the available land in the northern hemisphere. Due to the destruction of their habitat and persecution by humans, they now occupy only about two-thirds of their former range worldwide, and only about 3 percent of the continental 48 United States. The Wolves of the western Great Lake states, the southwest and limited parts of the northern Rocky Mountain states have federal protection under the Endangered Species Act. Wolves of Alaska, Montana, Idaho and parts of Washington, Oregon and Utah are managed on the state level.

http://www.nywolf.org/learn/faq

Current Listing Status Summary Status Date Listed Lead Region Where Listed
Endangered 03/11/1967 Mountain-Prairie Region (Region 6) Lower 48 States, except MN, MT, ID, portions of eastern OR, eastern WA, north-central UT, and where EXPN. Mexico.
Threatened 04/10/1978 Great Lakes-Big Rivers Region (Region 3) MN
Experimental Population, Non-Essential 01/12/1998 Southwest Region (Region 2) Mexican gray wolf, EXPN population
Experimental Population, Non-Essential 05/05/2011 Mountain-Prairie Region (Region 6) WY, EXPN population
Delisted due to Recovery 05/05/2011 Mountain-Prairie Region (Region 6) Northern Rocky Mountain DPS (delisted, except WY)
Under Review 05/05/2011 Great Lakes-Big Rivers Region (Region 3) Western Great Lakes DPS

http://ecos.fws.gov/speciesProfile/prof ... pcode=A00D

Non-endangered:Mckenzie Valley Wolf
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/wow/re ... Alaska.asp
Non-endangered:(Northern?) Rocky Mountain Wolf
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/wow/re ... /Idaho.asp
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/wow/re ... ontana.asp

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:20 pm

If you had a mix of the subspecies that would work too. Similar to how mutt tigers can be owned, but pure-breds can't cross state lines and such.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Acolouthic

Postby Acolouthic » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:45 pm

By "Not Actively Bred" do you mean that they're not actively bred in the US, or not actively bred anywhere?

[Excellent list, by the way! c:]
owned by a Siamese cat, two rats, and a ball python.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:31 pm

These species also seem to be legal because the ESA does seem to list Canadian subspecies of wolf unless they also occur in the US:
British Columbia Wolf-Canada Only
Vancouver Island Wolf-Canada Only
Hudson Bay Wolf-Canada Only
Labrador Wolf-Canada Only
Baffin Island Wolf-Islands off of the coast
of Canada Only

Wolves in Alaska also seem to be state managed rather than federally protected:
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/wow/re ... Alaska.asp
Arctic Wolf-Alaska
Interior Alaskan Wolf/Yukon Wolf-Alaska
Alaskan Tundra Wolf-Alaska

And these I'm not sure on the status of:
Manitoba Wolf(possibly extinct?)-Canada Only
Greenland Wolf-Canada(?) and Greenland
Alexander Archipelago Wolf-Islands off the
coast of Alaska
There have been multiple attempts to have the Alexander Archipelago Wolf listed as threatened on the Endangered Species List, but they have all failed.[7]

New Endangered Species Act petition – 2011A new, 103-page petition to list the Alexander Archipelago wolf as a threatened or endangered species under the Edangered Species Act was filed with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service by the Center for Biological Diversity and Greenpeace on August 10, 2011.[20][21] The petition requests consideration for a separate listing of the Prince of Wales Island population because it is believed to be a distinct population segment, as well as a listing for the subspecies as a whole.[22]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archipelago_Wolf

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Acolouthic wrote:By "Not Actively Bred" do you mean that they're not actively bred in the US, or not actively bred anywhere?

[Excellent list, by the way! c:]

It means there does not appear to be anybody breeding them anywhere. That doesn't mean there isn't, it just means it appears so.

The British Columbian wolf seemed to be the most commonly-owned wolf when I was doing google searches.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:21 pm

@Acolouthic:
It depends on the species:
I've never heard of anyone breeding crab-eating fox,culpeo,chilla, pampas fox, hoary fox, kit fox,tibetan fox, golden jackal, cape fox,blandford's fox, rupell's fox, or indian fox.

However, rarely golden jackals will pop for sale on zoological importers and broker's sites. Black-backed previously hadn't been bred,but alot of bottle-baby ones have been popping up on http://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net lately so I think atleast one person is breeding them now and zoological importer and broker's sometimes get them. It's rare,but not as rare as when they get a golden jackal.
I've once saw one importer (CJG's exotics) selling bottle-boby side-stripped jackals,but as far as I know that was the only time he sold them.

As for coydogs, as far as I know, nobody intentionally breeds them. They usually occur from accidents of coyotes mating with dogs.

The only place I know of that has captive Eastern coyotes is the Eastern Coyote Research Center. I don't know if they breed or not,but if they did I don't think they'd sell them as pets. You can find info on them at http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/.

Coywolves may be the same thing as eastern coyotes. If not, I don't know of any in captivity.

As for the feral dogs, I imagine they are probably bred in their native countries,but I don't know of any details about who breeds them there and how to acquire one.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”