PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

I got to see Totem yesterday!

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

I got to see Totem yesterday!

Postby sarajeku » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:03 am

I missed him so much, I just couldn't stay away. It's been a month or so since I've been to the refuge, but I'll be going back regularly again (and working the primate center as well). I missed the animals too much.
I just love him. I definitely want a coyote someday after working with him.

Trying to get me to stop taking his picture and pet him

Trying to convince me that I should let him have the empty pack of hot dogs. He's so funny.
Foxyjadda

Re: I got to see Totem yesterday!

Postby Foxyjadda » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Aww he got so big.

Was he the one you guys thought was a wolf dog and the lady didn't want him in the car.
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Yup. It's on this topic. viewtopic.php?f=68&t=7780

But he wasn't brought in as a wolfdog. When he was brought in, the woman claimed he was a full wolf pup. We didn't question her when he was 10 days old, since they look very similar at that age. When he started growing, though, his ears outgrew his head and it became obvious he wasn't a wolf.

This is when his ears started growing at around 8-10 weeks.

Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:37 pm

He's so beautiful
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:46 am

I figured I'd just add to this thread.
New video of Totem is up on youtube! He got a bit standoffish through the winter, but now that it's warming up, he's back to his sweet, cuddly self! He turned a year old last week.

The dog in the video is my boss' bloodhound puppy, Reba. They LOVE each other, and they can't keep her out of his kennel. So they've just decided to keep them together. It's seemed to work out well for the both of them. (Except for me getting clobbered in the head when I try to get down on his level, haha)

http://youtu.be/s8Y4GymnImc
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:33 am

So cute! I need to get back to interning so I can see how Tazzy is doing (the coyote where I interned). I'm really curious how Totem will be in a year or two since it seems that people have said after a few years they become anti-social. He's just so friendly now, it's hard to imagine him behaving any different.

I just love how yellow his eyes are. They are so vibrant.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:27 am

sarajeku wrote:I figured I'd just add to this thread.
New video of Totem is up on youtube! He got a bit standoffish through the winter, but now that it's warming up, he's back to his sweet, cuddly self! He turned a year old last week.

The dog in the video is my boss' bloodhound puppy, Reba. They LOVE each other, and they can't keep her out of his kennel. So they've just decided to keep them together. It's seemed to work out well for the both of them. (Except for me getting clobbered in the head when I try to get down on his level, haha)

http://youtu.be/s8Y4GymnImc

D'awww. So cute. He loves you. ^^ That poor dog looks like she's jealous though. Lol. XD And you're right. He's HUGE compared to normal coyotes. I wonder if he might be a Northeastern coyote(Canis latrans thamnos) subspecies which some scientists think are hybrids between gray wolves and coyotes. I've never seen a western coyote anywhere near the size of a bloodhound before(Of course, I've only ever seen two coyotes in person at all though).
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:48 am

Well, Reba is only around 7 or 8 months old. So she isn't fully grown; she's just all legs, feet and ears.
But yeah, he was still quite a bit larger than the litte girl coyote.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:21 pm

The more I'm around Totem, and the more I read about foxes, the more I've noticed his behavior seems a lot like what a well socialized fox's behavior is described.
I brought in my camera bag. It had the enclosure keys and my car keys in it (no pockets). I also had a can of animal crackers, doggy treats & peanut butter cookies in it. He decided that fun bag was HIS. He pulled the treat can out, took the lid off and peed on the cookies. Then cached the cookies and peed on his caches. He also pees on me when he's excited to see me. Here is a picture of the face and body language he uses when he sees me. icon-smile He wags his tail super fast and pants all happy when he climbs into my lap.

Here are some of my latest pictures of him!

Here's a little slide thing of him stealing and attempting to hide my camera bag. I wish it showed up bigger.
Elina

Postby Elina » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Oh my GOSH he is to die for!
After reading for all this time about him and my friends Mary and Amber had one I 100% want a coyote of my own some day. They seem perfectly between a fox and a wolf in ways or so they come across and I just cannot help but find them desirable.

So good to see more photos of Totem. I totally LOVE your new profile pic with his ears up haha!
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 pm

He is incredibly tolerant of being played, poked, pulled on, etc with when he's in "hey, why aren't you cuddling me? I'm in your lap, pet me!" moods. He lets me tug his tail, pull his legs, stick my fingers in his mouth, pull his ears (I made him a bunny in my profile pic). Other times he'd rather run circles around me and steal things he thinks/knows he's not supposed to have.

Here's the big version of the "bunny ears." He just looked at me and gave me his coyote grin and didn't even try to move.
There's also a picture of my thumb in his mouth.
Actually, more than one of those

When he hit 5.. maybe 6 months, he settled into his "I know who I like, those are the ONLY people I like, no one else can come near me" phase. He was still pretty small. I was still able to pick him up. I still can, but I wouldn't try unless he's feeling REALLY mellow. We don't have many mellow days like the bunny ear picture lately because I haven't been able to work every single day like I did that summer. He gets too excited to see me lately. When that picture was taken, he was used to seeing me everyday, expected it, and even got upset with me and pouted at me the next time I saw him if I missed a day.

Anyway, he's about 2(ish) now and we've gradually started introducing him to new people. Mostly photographers because cameras are nothing new to him. He's been around my gigantic camera since he was 12 days old. Recently, a frequent visitor and photographer went into his enclosure with absolutely no incident. She said his play growls startled her because she didn't know they were play growls, but she soon figured it out when he started pulling on her camera strap and tried to steal her camera, then tried to run away with her camera bag. It was a very big step for him, even though he'd seen her a few times before, she was one of the "strangers" that he had already decided he didn't like.

I'm hoping we can use him as an ambassador. Not necessarily to take him out to events (like schools), but I can at least get him to come out of hiding on days we have tours and show those people how good he is with me. We did that 2 weeks ago and it went from 20 people going "I don't want to see the coyote. We have enough of those where we live that need shot." to them saying when I'm with him "They're really that small? He's not just a pup? Why isn't he attacking that girl? Oh, he loves her? He's doing tricks like a dog! Awwwww"

Here's a picture of when the photographer first went into his enclosure and got down on his level. I blurred her face because I don't know what she'd say about having her picture posted somewhere other than her facebook.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:14 pm

New pictures! These were taken the day before my brother died, so I just haven't gotten around to posting them. But here they are!

This one is my new all time favorite. Totem actually let me post him and just stayed there until I was done. He's such a ham.

My boy getting ready to give me kisses. My boss was in the enclosure with me so it was quite distracting for him. He was still cuddly with me :mrgreen:

I think (we'll call her "boss lady" , for these purposes here) made a funny noise. He gave her a dirty look. I think she offended him by interrupting his kisses.

My pretty boy

Sniffing for the school kids. We had a school group come and it was mostly successful. This was his first whiff of them.

I had a hard time not printing this one when I was getting large poster size prints of my favorites done.

I had this one done and the "posed" one done. They're hanging on my wall and AMAZING (but I'm biased)

Annnndddd the most hilarious sequence of him yet.
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:43 pm

I love all the pictures you post, they are always really amazing looking.

That last one though...I guess you found 'the spot'?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Thank you! I'm obsessive when it comes to taking photos of him. I have so many hanging on my wall!
And yes, in that picture I did hit "the spot." He was SO happy to be scratched there. He was making such funny faces and sounds. I love his combined sounds/faces he makes. He's so expressive.

Here are 3 of 4. Plus I have a bunch of prints I'm getting ready to double mat and just stick in random empty spaces.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Just want to say thanks for sharing these, he seems like such an awesome animal, and *SO BEAUTIFUL*. He's sparked my interest in Coyotes.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”