PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

I got to see Totem yesterday!

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: I got to see Totem yesterday!

Postby sarajeku » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm glad you enjoy them! He is such a good boy. After working with him, he has really changed my attitude toward them. I would really choose a well raised coyote over a fox if I had to choose one over the other. I love both (we have 3 red foxes at the refuge now and I've experienced both) but if it comes down to a decision between the two.. I'll choose my coyote over the fox any day. I just love coyotes. They're so amazing, intelligent, and Totem is even more affectionate toward me than my domestic animals. He gives WAY more kisses than my dog does. I love it. There's nothing better than coyote kisses. They'll brighten even the worst day.

Here's a new picture!

Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:25 am

Oh my gosh he looks amazing!

I need you to come over here and take photos of my foxies! :lol: I am going to take a photography coarse when I have the time but I never seem to have the time and I know this will sound mad but I think my camera is loosing pixles. . . The quality of the photos is getting worse and worse and I am no great photographer as it is.

Totally off topic but what camera do you use and what would you recommend?
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:24 pm

All I have ever used is a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. I have an older model. The screen only works to show you the image you took and you use the eyepiece like a traditional camera. I personally like Canon, but only because virtually everything they make fits "together." (I discovered this when my new canon video camera battery and memory card fit my huge camera). I have a lot of their products and if you were to have three Canon cameras and a video camera and were to take a trip & didn't want to carry all of those cameras, you could have spare batteries and memory cards.

My little brother has the exact same camera I do, only newer. The only difference between my older one (I've had it for ages.. maybe before 2005?) and his newer 2011 model is that the digital monitor screen thing shows you what you're taking a picture of rather than having to use the eyepiece. "fancier" lenses and has agreed to let me borrow his lenses (eventually) because he never uses it. My brother has 2 of the lenses and I have 2 lenses. I have the one it came with (the pictures taken with that lens look like a point and shoot camera.. not good) and the 75-300mm lens. I LOVE that lens. It's the one I use when I take my best photos of Totem. But I need one that isn't a telephoto lens like that to get the ones where he's trying to climb my leg for attention, so I don't get those with my camera. Hopefully soon.

I got that last photo printed and framed in 11x14 and the man at the counter argued with me that Totem couldn't be a coyote if he was that pretty and tame enough to get a picture like that. I was like "Sir, I took that picture myself. He's a coyote. I've been with him since he was a newborn pup and I can assure you, I'd know if he was a fox."
(I also picked up a 5x7 of this which made his confusion worse)
He said Totem's head wasn't shaped like a coyote. That his eyes weren't "menacing" enough?!?!? :wall: And that his teeth weren't big enough.
The man argued for 5 minutes with me trying to give me reasons why he could not be a coyote at all. It was the laugh of the day. At least he wasn't hostile.. just curious, uneducated, and extremely confused.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:30 pm

I can't believe I didn't post this! :shock:
Most of you all know Totem LOVES dogs.

I also have mentioned a number of times that his best friend is a bloodhound (her name is Reba) because we don't have another coyote to keep him with. She's a nuisance when I want to take pictures of only him. But she's very sweet. She just needs.. training. lol

But! Here's a recent picture of the two of them. Who's the real trouble maker?!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 pm

As most of you know, I've been grieving (there is a thread about why and I don't want to get into it on this one).
Today was the first time I'd seen Totem since it happened. It had been a week and a half, and usually he'd be upset with me for being away for so long. Instead, he could tell I was hurting and he desperately wanted to help. My younger brother took this picture and he said the scene melted his heart and made him fall in love with coyotes too.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Yes a very emotional special moment caught there.
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:35 am

Totem is so pretty. He's so beautiful and makes such silly faces!
I love that picture you caught of him yawning with the leaves covering his eyes. make it look like he has "nature's eye mask" :lol:
Then that second to last is just hillarious! hes all :monkshock:
That last one is simply beautiful, and i'm sorry about what happened. I know that things like that can be hard and i wish you the best of luck.

And on another note.. a coyote is the only exotic animal i've seen in person. The only bad thing about it is that it was 2am in oklahoma while sitting at a bon fire with my cousins and my sister cause me and my sis went up there to visit my uncle, and i walked into a dark area on the dirt path (the light post was on the other side of the trailer) because i thought it was the neighbor's dog..they lived out in LITERALLY the middle of no where, the only store there was this tiny shop with a gas station, next store is an hour drive into a city. Well, it turned out to be one of the wild coyote's and it was a few feet away and we both just stood there fozen for a few seconds and i just slowly backed away. He just kind of stood there frozen, eyes huge (i remember those beautiful things, moon light hitting them through the tree tops.. UH! it was so amazing!) and he didn't move until i was a good 3 yards away and he just kinda "popped" back like he was a cartoon character that popped off of a page and came to life, and then he just RAN his ass off the other direction to the howls in the distance. :lol:
I'll admit, i was terrified, i was only 11, but my god, those eyes were just pretty as stars.. :roll:

You're lucky to be able to be so friendly with them, i'm glad i didn't get mauled alive by the one that i did see the second i moved.. Especially cause i was only about 4'5 IF that! i'm pretty sure i was shorter than that though.. So i was pretty much face-to-face with it..
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:55 pm

How does Totem behave? I know he's nice, but the coyote where I interned was so hyper and crazy. She was nice too, but would constantly be leaping at your face to lick it, biting at me (in a playful way), and just going nuts all around, lol. Is Totem calmer than that?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Wolfygirl, coyotes weigh about 35 lbs unless you find one that's interbred with a wolf or something (even then they don't attack adults), so unless you're the size of a 5 year old, you have absolutely no reason to be afraid of coyotes. Totem is on the large side and he not much larger than that.
There are VERY few attacks on humans over the age of 5 by coyotes. Any attack by a coyote on an adult or adolescent (anyone larger than say.. 40 lbs) would be a starving or rabid coyote. Wild coyotes are very timid animals and are afraid of adult humans unless habituated to them, and even then, usually wouldn't attack you unless rabid.

Ash, he can be hyper at times, but he never jumps at my face or anything. The most hyper he gets is spinning in circles around my feet (like tail chasing type spinning), tugging my camera strap- his FAVORITE game, or chasing Reba away for my sole attention attention. He's usually pretty laid back though.

Here's some photos of how he plays (I may have posted one or two of these before):
I hate the focus on the first one. I wish it had turned out better.

This is his normal behavior:
Talys

Postby Talys » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:25 pm

That is an amazingly beautiful relationship. <3 I love seeing these photos! I know 1000 words is not enough to do him or you both justice, so I'm not going to try. It's really gotten me into studying them, and should the miracle ever come that I come to be a companion to one, I hope it's half as good as you two!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:30 am

Ohhhh i see... Well, i didn't, and don't, know much about coyotes, and honestly i was about the size of a 7 year old. maybe 8.. i was pretty short back then, it was ridiculous.

HA!!!! The second to last one, you can see his eye lashes and the dark around his eyes looks darker than usual so it's like he has thick eye liner on!! So it makes him look like a cartoon female wolf tipping her head onto a shoulder slightly lifted and like she would be batting her eyes and then that would be the face right when she stops! :lol: Ahhhh..Such a feminine picture of totem.. so cute though
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:42 pm

He's such a beautiful animal. The thing he did with your camera bag was really cute. Coyotes are so smart. ^^ It was funny reading about him trying to steal the camera and camera bag from the photographer too. He just likes camera bags. XD My favorite pictures are the one of him trying to hide the camera bag and the ones of him holding the can of food in his mouth. That's great that he's changing people's attitudes about coyotes. They're so misunderstood and often thought of as pests that just need to be killed. It's really sad. :(
I love the new pics. The pose one, the one of him getting annoyed at your boss for interupting his kisses, and the other one you got a printed poster of are my favorites.
That lastest picture of Totem's close up is amazing. I can't belive that guy printing the photographs, though. At least he wasn't hostile though. You should invite him to the refuge to see Totem and get educated on what coyotes are really like. ^^
I love that picture of Totem and Reba together. So cute with Totem still having that cup of treats he snatched. Lol. XD I love the ones of him with the camera bag, strap, and that hose thingie. He seems so funny and curious. He's very beautiful in that one where he's laying there with Reba.

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures and stories about Totem. It's really informative on what it's like to be owned by a coyote. I want one even more now. :)
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:47 pm

It's been a while since I've posted pictures of my baby! I spent a while at the refuge yesterday, but didn't get a lot of pictures. I got a few though.

He's starting to grow his winter coat!

I gave Totem a pumpkin, recently. He had no interest in it at all, except for making it his.

Totem started to sniff Reba's nose, but as soon as he got his nose near her, she flopped her gigantic tongue out and smacked his face with it.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:56 pm

That first one looks like he was posing for you. ^^ The one of Reba licking his nose is so adorable. XD
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:54 pm

Time for Totem pictures!!

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”