PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Interesting Coyote Colors

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Alynn

Interesting Coyote Colors

Postby Alynn » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 am

I didn't realize there was such variety in colors. O_o
From the description:
"Blonde, Black (coydog), Pale red, and Albino."

According to this:
http://www.esf.edu/aec/adks/mammals/coyote.htm

Different colors occur naturally.

Thought it was pretty interesting and I'd share.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interesting Coyote Colors

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:17 am

Wow, those are really coyotes? I didn't realize that either. I was pretty surprised when the different pictures of subspecies were posted. Are those farmed coyotes or are they naturally-occuring mutations?

It probably says on the link you gave. ;) I'm sleepy so I'll check it out tomorrow. That's really interesting.

EDIT: Ah, I see you already said they were natural mutations. :icon-wink:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 am

Yep. But that's not a very good black coyote, considering there are actual melanistic coyotes, I don't see why they'd use a coydog as a representative.

I'd love to have one of those blonde ones!
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:21 am

Wow. From the color variety here I think they could easily produce more interesting color mutants like foxes have. They are genetically similar enough to wolves and dogs afterall. I just don't think people breed them very often because they are difficult to keep and from what I've heard you really have to work with them to get pet material. Sarajeku, you have experience with 'yotes don't you?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:26 pm

I do. And I LOVE them.
We think the one we have is wild born. He imprinted pretty quickly to the people who he was around early on. He's very sweet, and definitely pet material. Although he is fearful and somewhat aggressive toward strangers. I'd still take him home in a heartbeat. I can't say if he's the rule or the exception though. His eyes were barely open when he came in, and he was still on the bottle. As sweet as he is, I figured more people just didn't breed them because of the stigma associated with them. But then again, I've only been around 2. And the other one died of neurological problems. :(
I definitely want one in the future.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:31 pm

I don't know if I ever want any coyotes. I might get them way, way in the future, but right now I just want to get every fox of the rainbow, and squirrels. :P I'd love to talk to Dave and see what his coyotes are like. I always forget he breeds animals other than foxes.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:42 pm

I didn't know he bred coyotes!
He may have a new customer within the next few years!

(obligatory photo of me and Totem because I love him)
whitewolf011

Postby whitewolf011 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:03 pm

I hate pictures like these but seeing different coyote colors is fascinating to me since I am a coyote lover.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Oh WOW, that whitemark is amazing. I can't believe that they are producing these colors without being selected for it. That's crazy to me. I wonder if it's possible that stray dogs are getting female coyotes pregnant? :/
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:55 pm

Two of those look like they have at least some dog in them. The white mark and the black & tan one. The white mark one is built more like a coyote than the black & tan one though. Its guard hairs still don't look quite as, I dunno.. "coyote-like" if that makes any sense. Not banded enough.
That golden one is beautiful. It looks almost like a dingo in color.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:24 am

Wild coydogs are not unheard of. Wild Coyotes will also eat dogs though. Depends on their mood I guess.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 am

The coyote I worked with was a real sweetheart. She loved, loved, loved people and if you howled at her she would start howling back. She was super social and loved the fox and the dogs.

The lady who kept her had kept coyotes in the past, and she said most did not turn out like her--but then again, she wasn't getting pet-quality coyotes most of the time. Sometimes I think she got orphaned coyotes or ones that were being kept illegally.

The coyote is a spaz though. Maybe with additional training they could be more... calm? She would leap and leap and leap at your face, trying to lick it. She would also go crazy and pull on your clothes and take anything you had--more worse than any fox. She absolutely loved people though, so whenever she saw anybody she would start whining and pushing herself against the chainlink.

I would love to have a coyote--but then again, what animal don't I want? lol
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:13 am

Interesting. I knew about melanistic and albino coyotes,but I didn't know of the other colors. To me, the black and tan, white-mark, and the blonde/golden coyotes all look like dog-crosses though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:49 am

The white mark and the red blonde are all yote. The sable and the black and tan are coy dogs. I stuffed a red one a few years ago that was killing domestic animals. I didn't kill it but wasn't going to turn down that pelt. My dad has him now. I never believed coydogs were common untill going to taxidermy forums. I have seen alot of examples since. Some I wondered who's dog they shot because honestly they looked more dog then anything.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:16 pm

Are you sure the white mark is a pure coyote? I've never heard of animals coming out with patterns like that without being "domesticated" through tame breeding.

The blonde I suppose could come from a coyote that has one gene for normal colors and one gene for albinoism and so it's not as dark as a pure coyote,but not white like an albino either.

That black and tan one has a very coyote-like face. It looks alot like the pure black coyote to me. It could be a pure coyote in spite of the coloring. I've read that black and tan New Guinea Singing Dogs occur in the wild but very rarely. Maybe it's the same with coyotes.

The sable one does look extremely dog-like in the face though so I'm pretty sure it's a coydog.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”