PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Interesting Coyote Colors

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Interesting Coyote Colors

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Oh,those adult black coyotes are really beautiful. They do kind of look like shepherd dogs. ^^
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:59 pm

I know this thread is super old, but I found this picture and thought I'd post it here since it's the most appropriate place.
Every other photo of a red/gold coyote is always one that has been shot, so finally, here is one that is alive.

Also, here is a blonde one. It's a taxidermy mount, but it's still beautiful. Instead of seeing it laying on the ground, you can actually see what it looks like.

I would LOVE to have both of these colors. They're so gorgeous.

I'm not sure if this one is albino or leucistic. Pink nose = albino?

Edit:
Here's another variation.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:40 pm

No, on the pink nose. People tend to get albino and leucistic backwards. Albino is a lack of melanin, ONLY. Leucistic is a lack of ALL pigmentation(though both it and albino can be localized and not be all over(pinto coloration). Melanin are the dark colors(brown, black), it leaves behind orange. If the species has no orange or other non-melanin pigments an albino can be white otherwise those are left behind, so an orangish raccoon or coyote is albino as we know they do have those colors you just don;t see them till the melanin is reduced or removed.

So that coyote is leucistic.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Okay, I remember we had this conversation a while back, but I couldn't remember which was which.
In sugar gliders, leus are all white with black eyes, and they normally have pink pigmented noses, etc. while albinos look exactly the same (since gliders already have pink noses and ears) except they have red eyes.

What is that last one? It looks almost white, but it has some very light brown markings on its face/ears, but looks all white where it would normally be gray.

What would this color be? Would this be an actual albino?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:33 pm

The last kind looks like albino/leucistic mix. Just albino would have more orangish all over rather than just spots. I would go with saying leucistic but more specific a partial leucistic as there are a the orange spots where all pigment is not gone.

The last live photo is something like a pearl fox. The pigments are faded but still there. It could be aeumelanism, a lack of(but not total lack of) melanin causing a lighter color fur.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Okay, actually if we go by this info I'm all wrong, ha
http://vetherppath.hubpages.com/hub/Und ... erminology

It's so confusing.

So the "pearl" coyote would be HYPOMELANISM and the last white and orange skin would be albino/aeumelanism(the orange spots being aeumelanism). I think.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:18 pm

I've never heard of aeumelanism.
That IS confusing.
:stars:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Yeah it seems even the experts don't know 100% for sure on a lot of it or disagree. I know if you look up medical literature it says albinism in humans can be considered so even it it is not total all over, where as the guy on the link seems to be saying it has to be total to count. Seems he knows what he's talking about though over all.

from that link:

aeumelanism - where only eumelanin production is blocked.

In humans, there are two pigments. Eumelanin is brown to black and pheomelanin is rusty or even orange or red. They travel along a similar cascade when being formed but differ in the amount of sulfur in the final melanin compound. Any disruption along the cascade can cause a form of albinism. Some albinos have red hair because they have a gene that is faulty for the formation of eumelanin, so they are really only eumelanistic albinos(aeumelanism).

So if you wanted to keep it simple the albino/aeumelanistic coyote could just be called albino. As it's a mix of white albino and eumelanistic albino(aeumelanism).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:58 pm

PS: the leu sugar gliders might not really be leu but probably are if the skin is pink all over

LEUKISM (LEUCISM)- medically defined this is a defect in the skin, not the pigment cells. There are other derangements of pigment that can cause a whitening effect, but they are not classical leukism. Classical leukism is caused by a faulty gene, or set of genes, that causes the skin to be unable to support pigment cells.

Any white animals with pigmented eyes are leukistic? NO. Particularly in those animals where their color or percieved color comes from keratin structures like hair or feathers. There are other mutations out there where the pigment cells are working but the (in the case of mammals for example) melanocytes are prevented from injecting their melanosomes into hair shafts. This causes white coats, but pigmented skin. Some white haired horses are an example of this. They may have black skin, but white hair. They are not leukistic. Other animals have this kind of situation too and it can arise as a mutation in a population. Birds may also have a condition like this where they are really normal as far a pigment production, but not in terms of deposition in the feathers.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:04 pm

That first red gold coyote is gorgeous. I'd love to have a coyote of that color phase. The color of the coyote in the pelt is really pretty too. I wish it was alive though or atleast taxidermied instead of just a pelt,so I can see what it would have looked like better. It kind looks like a red/gold coyote mixed with a white coyote.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:00 am

This gorgeous coyote is a wild coyote in wyoming

So is this one. It's losing its winter coat, but otherwise, it's beautiful.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Oh wow. I love the pale-ish wild coyotes. The coyote in the third picture down looks almost white.

sammys

Postby sammys » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Nice colors - I didn't realize coyotes come in so many different colors!
ucrjedi

Postby ucrjedi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:50 am

I have a melanistic coyote that was confused for a dog when she was a few months old and sent to the pound after being found in the mountains. Turns out that being black with a white spot on her chest saved her life since nobody could imagine a black coyote.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Wow. She is so cute! And lucky, for that matter.
~RabbleFox

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”