PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Is it possible to domesticate Coyotes?

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Is it possible to domesticate Coyotes?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Sat May 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Like we did with Wolves and we got the Dog and now Foxes are being domesticated in Russia. Can Coyotes be domesticated too if attempted? Or are they too completely wild to be domesticated compared to Wolves and Foxes?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Is it possible to domesticate Coyotes?

Postby sarajeku » Sat May 19, 2012 11:30 pm

The one I work with is very tame. He love attention, gives kisses. He's such a sweetheart. I couldn't say if they could be domesticated like the foxes or if Totem is just exceptional, but I'd love to try if I had the resources.

http://youtu.be/s8Y4GymnImc
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun May 20, 2012 3:14 pm

It's probably possible to domesticate anything, it just takes a lot of time. We had a headstart on domesticating foxes since they'd been farmed for so long. Coyotes would take longer since they aren't commonly farmed like fox and mink, but I'm sure it could be done. It would just take a lot of time and a lot of coyotes.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Mon May 21, 2012 1:08 am

The coyote population is growing even bigger I heard on the news someone said they had a rare encounter with coyote puppies staring at them in the wild. Is it really a rare sighting to see coyote puppies in the wild like that?
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Mon May 21, 2012 12:44 pm

In some places it can be more rare than others. I live in the South Eastern Michigan and we mostly see full grown coyotes. We also live in a heavily suburban area so I am assuming the coyotes hide their pups pretty well.
I think in some places where there is more open land (ie: less suburbia) it is more common to see pups. Not really young pups but maybe some of them were exploring just outside of their den when mom was away, you know.
~RabbleFox
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 21, 2012 3:14 pm

I've seen many coyotes and never seen a "child" one.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm

I think it's possible given the fact that atleast two other canids(foxes and wolves which became dogs) have been proven to be able to be domesticated. Some animals take longer than others though as evidenced by the fact that wolves took thousands of years to become dogs and foxes only took 50 to become domestic foxes with some dog-like qualities.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:23 pm

I do believe the only reason it took so long for wolves was because it was like a natural domestication, if the makes sense?, where as the foxes was in a somewhat lab style situation where each ones temperment was analyzed and culled accordingly, and also there were hundreds of breeding pairs in a controled environment.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Realtree1 wrote:I do believe the only reason it took so long for wolves was because it was like a natural domestication, if the makes sense?, where as the foxes was in a somewhat lab style situation where each ones temperment was analyzed and culled accordingly, and also there were hundreds of breeding pairs in a controled environment.

True. Actually, I personally don't think the foxes are fully domesicated yet though. Maybe partially,but not completely. You still have to have a special outdoor enclosure for them and they still scent mark and have other wild behaviors and do alot of the same things that an ordinary tame fox does.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:04 am

I think the largest difference between a tame fox and the Russian Experiment fox is their overall friendliest and willingness to be around humans. In a tame fox, they could turn out to only like their owner and be aggressive towards everyone else. I am not completely sure if the Russian experimenters even wanted to take away their other "foxy" behaviors. I think they were trying to do to one trait at a time (seeing as it was a lab-type situation).
~RabbleFox
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:35 pm

RabbleFox wrote:I think the largest difference between a tame fox and the Russian Experiment fox is their overall friendliest and willingness to be around humans. In a tame fox, they could turn out to only like their owner and be aggressive towards everyone else. I am not completely sure if the Russian experimenters even wanted to take away their other "foxy" behaviors. I think they were trying to do to one trait at a time (seeing as it was a lab-type situation).

I know they have that natural friendliness of humans and that's why I said they are partially domesticated. But the reason I say they aren't fully domesticated is that you still have to treat even the domestics ones like exotics with special diet and enclosure and can't keep them in your house and feed them kibble like you can with a cat, a dog, a hamster, a mouse, a rat, a ferret, a parrot, etc. ,and other common domestic animals.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Parrots are not domesticated. Diet wont change just from domestication(this is why the push towards BARF diets).

Some people do have the domestic foxes in apartments. While some dog breeds do need special caging. Not to mention parrots and other small pets do need special caging and it's ill advised for them to be free roam at all times in the house.

Domestication does not change a species into a whole new species.

They do agree their foxes are not truly domesticated but this is because they have not been able to test how trainable and willing to please they are. They said the experiment wont be complete and the animals considered fully domesticated till they can show that has occurred. This will not only require testing but likely a whole new breeding project for train-ability.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:58 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Parrots are not domesticated. Diet wont change just from domestication(this is why the push towards BARF diets).

Some people do have the domestic foxes in apartments. While some dog breeds do need special caging. Not to mention parrots and other small pets do need special caging and it's ill advised for them to be free roam at all times in the house.

Domestication does not change a species into a whole new species.

They do agree their foxes are not truly domesticated but this is because they have not been able to test how trainable and willing to please they are. They said the experiment wont be complete and the animals considered fully domesticated till they can show that has occurred. This will not only require testing but likely a whole new breeding project for train-ability.

Oh. I assumed parrots were domesticated since they are commonly sold in most large pet stores as well as some small ones and as far as I know,there are no permit requirements for them anywhere in the US or bans on them.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Some species of parrots are banned some places. Most are only a few generations from the wild some are even still from the wild.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:48 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Some species of parrots are banned some places. Most are only a few generations from the wild some are even still from the wild.

Oh. I had no idea. I thought they were bred in captivity.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”