PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Is it possible to domesticate Coyotes?

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kioti

Re: Is it possible to domesticate Coyotes?

Postby Kioti » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am

Cindy23323 wrote:Sorry but no, not any what so ever.

Coyotes CAN be domesticated.... After a fashion. NOT if you think they'll be like dogs. I have 4 coyote/collie coy dogs and 2 full blooded coyotes: 1 domestic bred and 1 from the wild as an orphaned pup. All of them are skittish and leary of strangers. The wild rescue interacts with only 3 people. He runs frantically from anyone else. Coyotes gravitate to the high spots around them. Like tables and countertops. They are wicked thieves and will grab almost anything they can reach. The prize is not treated kindly. My house yore eats remotes and throw pillows without end and without remorse. My house yote escaped once and it took 7 full weeks to trap him. If I hadn't he'd never have made it. He has epilepsy and craniotomy-facial deformities making him non-releasable. I can attest that coyote poop is the worst smelling poop EVER. worse than tiger or bear. Like foxes they pee on things to mark them.... Including my bed... Hence I keep it covered with a fitted waterproof cover. So if you accept all the eccentricities then yes. They can be domesticated. They will never ever act like dogs however. They're a challenge but I love them. Enough to put up with all the things that make them coyotes. They are definitely NOT NOT NOT for everyone. Only the stout of heart willing to live a spartan lifestyle to accommodate them. If anyone is thinking about getting one feel free to contact me for the full lowdown. Kioti@outlook.com
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:34 pm

I think you misunderstood what Cindy was replying to. ;)

If we're talking about if coyotes are genetically domesticated, then no, coyotes are not. The OP was wondering if they could be domesticated like cats or dogs on a genetic level. The answer is, yes, but it will take many, many years to get them to that level of domestication. An experiment like the Belyaev experiment in Russia on red foxes would have to be done to speed up the domestication process.

If you're talking about being domesticated in the sense of taming a naturally-wild animal to adapt to life around humans, then yeah, everybody here agrees with that. ;) Several members here, myself included, have worked with tamed/domesticated coyotes and they are such cutie-pies.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! It's great to have someone here who has experience with coyotes since there does seem to be a lot of interest. Could you make a thread and post some pics of your coyotes/coydogs? I'm sure we'd all love to see them!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Kioti wrote:
Cindy23323 wrote:Sorry but no, not any what so ever.

Coyotes CAN be domesticated.... After a fashion. NOT if you think they'll be like dogs. I have 4 coyote/collie coy dogs and 2 full blooded coyotes: 1 domestic bred and 1 from the wild as an orphaned pup. All of them are skittish and leary of strangers. The wild rescue interacts with only 3 people. He runs frantically from anyone else. Coyotes gravitate to the high spots around them. Like tables and countertops. They are wicked thieves and will grab almost anything they can reach. The prize is not treated kindly. My house yore eats remotes and throw pillows without end and without remorse. My house yote escaped once and it took 7 full weeks to trap him. If I hadn't he'd never have made it. He has epilepsy and craniotomy-facial deformities making him non-releasable. I can attest that coyote poop is the worst smelling poop EVER. worse than tiger or bear. Like foxes they pee on things to mark them.... Including my bed... Hence I keep it covered with a fitted waterproof cover. So if you accept all the eccentricities then yes. They can be domesticated. They will never ever act like dogs however. They're a challenge but I love them. Enough to put up with all the things that make them coyotes. They are definitely NOT NOT NOT for everyone. Only the stout of heart willing to live a spartan lifestyle to accommodate them. If anyone is thinking about getting one feel free to contact me for the full lowdown. Kioti@outlook.com

You should re read, I was not saying no that coyotes could not be domesticated. I was stating to his/her question of did his dog that he rescued from the pound look like a coyote, (which she was even told by ac that he was a dog) They took it upon themselves to decide that she was first a pure blooded black coyote, then when people disagreed, she got switched to her being part coyote(even a DNA blood test showed that she was a dog), which my answer to the question of the pics looking like a coyote was no, not any what so ever.
ucrjedi

Postby ucrjedi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:18 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:And your in California if I remember right. Apparently coydogs are a somewhat natural occurrence there, more so than on the East coast anyway.
http://www.humanesociety.org/news/news/ ... 82511.html
Those two have more obviously coy features though longer face and bigger ears. But judging by the ones bred and known to be part coy that's a crapshoot on how much of what features they get(though also as I said before there are differing coyote types on the west coast too, some have much shorter faces and smaller ears than the other type. A friend who runs a sanctuary had a coydog and it just looked dog to me as well but I trust she knew what she had.

Edit: looking at Kelpies I can certainly see the resemblance there too though.

Did find one thing possible of interest though
Kelpie
Notice the smooth forehead between the eyes

Coyote
Notice the sort of divit in the forhead between the eyes
Here too
http://i1.wp.com/www.mountainhomemag.co ... -_opt.jpeg

Brandy

I apologize for the long disappearance. I was just disappointed with some of the responses and felt that they were a bit too harsh. Thanks for pointing out the divet in between her eyes. I was always wondering why she looked super weird in that area and now I know why. This is a very pronounced difference and confirms her ancestry for me. I'm including a photo of her paws so that you can see how long they are compared to my australian cattle dog's and another in which she looks very coyote (fully grown). Also, if you were to feel her head you would notice that her jaws are reinforced and much more pronounced on the sides than a dogs. I admit that she is not full coyote but she's also not a dog although she is easier to work with than my real dog. Since she trusts me and is scared by pretty much everything including the wind, I don't have to convince her to listen to me most of the time. Looking at the photo of her in bed, can anybody honestly say that she doesn't look at least part coyote?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:24 pm

Sorry if you felt some responses were too harsh. :icon-frown: I don't think anyone meant to be, but lots of times people are blunt, and when just reading text it can sound harsh. I have to watch myself when replying online, and usually I catch myself before posting anything that might be perceived as rude or overly blunt. But usually it's just stating info.

I'm not an expert on coyotes--only worked with the one--so I have a hard time discerning their features when they're mixed with something else. Cindy would be the best person to ask though since she's been part of that community for a long time now.

Your gal is very long-legged, and I see how her facial features could be coyote-ish. Also the length of the tail. Whatever she is, she has certainly grown up into an impressive-looking, beautiful animal. Super pretty, regardless of what's in her genes!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm sorry but no, I do not see it anywhere what so ever. But if you wanted to know for sure, get the uc davis test, then that will tell you without a shadow of a doubt.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:41 pm

Just a thought, Australian Cattle Dogs really don't have that long of legs so they aren't a great comparison for long legs.

Honestly she reminds me a lot of my neighbor's shepherd mix.
He would also walk with his head low, it's not always an indicator of the dog's ancestry.

I have to doubt she's a coydog especially compared to the picture of that black coyote you posted a picture of saying it was a coydog (http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2 ... g_0349.jpg) but when I went on the thread no one seemed to know what it actually was.

For me the thing is mostly her head. It looks way too broad and her profile has way too much of a stop to definitely say that she has coyote in her. Though TamanduaGirl has discussed the stop issue already.

I compared her front view (see my attachment) to that of confirmed, known coydogs that were around the same age (at least from one picture) and her features just seem too broad - her ears are also shaped differently, with a sort of divet near the top whereas the coydogs have near streamline ears.

I'm really not an expert but I would trust Cindy's word as she has a lot of experience with wolfdogs and experience with the wolf/coydog community, I really would not say your dog is definitively a coydog unless there's DNA testing that proves it.
Misrepresentation is a major issue and if someone is ever in doubt, it's better to call a possible coydog a dog rather than a coydog.

edit: attachment issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:06 am

My female dog can look a bit like she's crossed with a wolf/coyote/wild dog like a dingo sometimes (some guy actually asked me for real if she was a wolf :shock:), but I know she's definitely not since she's from Romania's streets. So, an example of a sort of "wild-looking" dog but with no wild in her (except a few decades of natural selection on the streets of Romania).

About DNA tests (not for my dog obviously, but since you're talking about it :icon-wink:), I've noticed for wolves it seems to be rather unreliable. Tamaskan litter mates for example where one comes up positive, another negative. (And I've heard pure-bred Shar Pei have come up positive?) I guess that might be since dog and wolf is the same species, with only a 0.2% difference.
But since coyotes are a different species altogether, are those tests more reliable?

If so, if I was Brandy's owner and really curious I would make the test to know for sure. icon-smile
And coydog or not, she's very pretty. (I like wild-looking dogs as you might notice.)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:11 pm

None of the test are reliable if trying to find out if its a wolfdog with the acception of the UC Davis test. Its the only one out there that tests for wolf markers.
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Cindy23323 wrote:None of the test are reliable if trying to find out if its a wolfdog with the acception of the UC Davis test. Its the only one out there that tests for wolf markers.

Just popping in to say that dog DNA tests are known to be crap. Dog breeds are very closely related and the DNA tests we have available (even if purchased from your vet) are not accurate in the least. The dog community views them as fun but mostly crock. Documented purebred dogs' have had their DNA sent away to come back as completely wonky. Pure GSDs come back as Chihuahua, Border Collie, Beauceron mixes.

The only reliable DNA test is the UC Davis test and that's only going to tell you if there are wolf/coyote markers, not a dog's breed.
~RabbleFox
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:41 pm

RabbleFox wrote:Just popping in to say that dog DNA tests are known to be crap. Dog breeds are very closely related and the DNA tests we have available (even if purchased from your vet) are not accurate in the least. The dog community views them as fun but mostly crock. Documented purebred dogs' have had their DNA sent away to come back as completely wonky. Pure GSDs come back as Chihuahua, Border Collie, Beauceron mixes.

I second this. When at the dog park a few years back, I was talking to the owner of a dog and she had her dog DNA tested. This dog was clearly Chihuahua and something came back with half a dozen breeds including min pin, JRT, corgi, etc. but no Chihuahua at all. And I am talking about a dog that almost looked purebred, not your standard shelter mutt. :roll:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
aspartime

Postby aspartime » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:43 am

I had a pet coyote for 7 years. He died in 2014. He was full grown when I got him. It took a few years for him to get used to me and my other dogs. He would stay outside for 3 or 4 days sometimes and only come in to eat. After 3 years or so he became mostly domesticated. I have 7 acres 5 of which are fenced in with 6 foot metal fencing with 1 to 2 feet of it under ground. I have some other dogs but only 1 male who is fixed they got along quite well. He tried to mate with some of my female dogs, he would try real hard but was only successful 1 time. The resulting liter was only 2 pups. 1 male 1 female. I have them both still. The female hybrid is very wild she loves to kill things and then rub in them she also will stay outside for days at a time. The male pup was born with a deformed leg and he is very thin. He acts much more dog like and loves to hang out with his dog mother. He acts like any other dog except he doesn't listen and bites hard while playing. He is neutered but still pees in the house everyday. The female is currently 4 weeks pregnant I think by a dog. She is honestly smarter then most dogs, she seems to understand most everything i say. She is 100% potty trained and has never gone to the bathroom in the house since she was a puppy. She is probably 2x the size of her mother maybe 30 or so lbs and her mom is 15. The male coyote I had became very loving and lazy the last 2 years. He would sleep in the bed and even snuggle sometimes. He did strange things like go under the covers headfirst all the way to my feet and sleep there, i have no idea how he was able to get air. He only escaped the yard 2 times. One time i gave chase and caught him when he tried to mark. The 2nd escape he was gone for 2 days, I got lucky and someone called me, he had gone into there yard and went right up to them when they offered him food. He was about a mile from my place.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:49 pm

I noticed that there was some talk about coydogs, so I just thought I would add that the Blue Lacy (a domestic dog breed) is said to have been developed with the influence of coyotes. They are amazing dogs that I learned about when I was studying domestic dog breeds.

I love coyotes, dogs, and coydogs (okay, I love all animals) and have found this information very helpful. Thanks. : )
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:53 pm

There are two types of Blue Lacy's, the American Blue Lacy and then the Blue Lacy.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”