PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Is it possible to domesticate Coyotes?

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to domesticate Coyotes?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:13 pm

I could also split these posts about her away to a new topic at some point.

"The only problem with her being part dog is how she got to be so wild."

Mommy coyote and daddy a dog would do it just fine as she would raise the pups wild. Even a feral momma dog who mated a coyote would do a pretty good job of having wild acting young since not raised with people.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:49 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Mommy coyote and daddy a dog would do it just fine as she would raise the pups wild. Even a feral momma dog who mated a coyote would do a pretty good job of having wild acting young since not raised with people.

I agree.
A wild raised animal with no exposure to people, never knowing that people won't hurt it, especially with her coyote genes, could easily become very wild acting and have a hard time trusting humans. Even a poorly socialized dog will act fearful of humans.

I was trying to get a look at her teeth in the video, since that's the easiest way I can tell her age with her coat color and face shape. There's only one very short clip where you can clearly see her bottom teeth. After watching the whole video a couple of times, my best guess is 6-7 months. Don't quote me on that though, especially if a vet tells you differently. A vet can tell you by the teeth how old she is.
ucrjedi

Postby ucrjedi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:34 pm

sarajeku wrote:
TamanduaGirl wrote:Mommy coyote and daddy a dog would do it just fine as she would raise the pups wild. Even a feral momma dog who mated a coyote would do a pretty good job of having wild acting young since not raised with people.

I agree.
A wild raised animal with no exposure to people, never knowing that people won't hurt it, especially with her coyote genes, could easily become very wild acting and have a hard time trusting humans. Even a poorly socialized dog will act fearful of humans.

I was trying to get a look at her teeth in the video, since that's the easiest way I can tell her age with her coat color and face shape. There's only one very short clip where you can clearly see her bottom teeth. After watching the whole video a couple of times, my best guess is 6-7 months. Don't quote me on that though, especially if a vet tells you differently. A vet can tell you by the teeth how old she is.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for straightening it out for me. Also, according to the pound she was around 6-7 months old when the video was shot so you would be correct. This means that she is around 1.5 years old now.

The good news is that my plan to have my cattle dog socialize her has been working. She has gone from wild to slightly timid and should do even better as time goes by. Every day I am thankful that she has come into my life because my cattle dog has a buddy and she gets a comfortable and social life in return.

Feel free to make our discussion it's own topic as I'm officially done hijacking this thread. I will now check out the rest of the site.
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:08 pm

I rather like coyotes. I used to have a coydog when I was young; 3/4 dog, 1/4 coyote. Not much of a mix, I know, but you could certainly tell it with him. He looked like a dog mostly, but had a ton of distinctively "non-dog" traits that made him a mess to deal with. I still absolutely loved that dog, despite his many, many flaws.

I ended up going out of state for two weeks, only to come back and have my dog "missing". Turns out my grandmother (who had been babysitting them), was "growled at" by him while picking up his food bowls (unlikely, as he had never growled at anyone else) and dumped him at the shelter. By time we found out, he'd been adopted and we never figured out who adopted them - as he wasn't "stolen", they refused to get the dog back.

I hope he ended up some where where he was happy. Obviously, I don't have my relationship with my grandmother anymore - who still stands by that she did us a favor, getting rid of a "vicious" animal.

I wouldn't mind getting a coyote sometime. They have charming personalities, I hear.
ucrjedi

Postby ucrjedi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:19 am

broski1984 wrote:I rather like coyotes. I used to have a coydog when I was young; 3/4 dog, 1/4 coyote. Not much of a mix, I know, but you could certainly tell it with him. He looked like a dog mostly, but had a ton of distinctively "non-dog" traits that made him a mess to deal with. I still absolutely loved that dog, despite his many, many flaws.

I ended up going out of state for two weeks, only to come back and have my dog "missing". Turns out my grandmother (who had been babysitting them), was "growled at" by him while picking up his food bowls (unlikely, as he had never growled at anyone else) and dumped him at the shelter. By time we found out, he'd been adopted and we never figured out who adopted them - as he wasn't "stolen", they refused to get the dog back.

I hope he ended up some where where he was happy. Obviously, I don't have my relationship with my grandmother anymore - who still stands by that she did us a favor, getting rid of a "vicious" animal.

I wouldn't mind getting a coyote sometime. They have charming personalities, I hear.

That sucks. Your grandmother should have just called the owner of the dog/coyote instead of giving it away. How did your parents feel about it? I imagine your grandparents overruled them but maybe not. I'm not a big fan of keeping wild animals as pets but I have a coyote mix myself. At the time of the adoption I was discussing this topic with my girlfriend. She is of the opinion that it's alright to own wolves because she wants one for herself. I disagreed with her and we got into it a little bit. I thought that people who are inexperienced with wild animals should not be adopting them while at the same time I was accidentally adopting a coyote mix. I find this to be very ironic especially since my girlfriend isn't a fan of Acacia due to her timid nature. I guess people don't realize that wild animals generally do not act like domestic dogs. Was your coyote mix timid? Here are two pictures of Acacia (Coyote mix) and Shadow (Australian Cattle Dog) coming home from the dog park. Acacia is looking more and more like a coyote as she grows.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:33 am

Sorry but that's not a coy mix, looks nothing like one. I recall you saying you adopted her/him from the shelter and that you just decided she/he was a coyote mix that they said she/he was just a mixed breed of dog which that's all she/he looks like.
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:55 am

Coyotes are my favorites right up there with foxes, because of their potential for being very loving animals. Take for example Tazzina, a sanctuary resident, she's so tame she might as well be domesticated. The faces they can make give me a desire to have one as a pet! Pretty sure they're outright banned in Utah though.

Coyotes need to be domesticated. They're so cute!!

Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Sorry to say this so curtly but shelters don't know jack about what breeds their dogs are. Oftentimes they throw exotic sounding breeds in there to make the dogs more unique. Your dog is probably just a mix of many generations of mutt. Probably some German Shepherd, Spitz breeds, Lab; common dogs. Possibly some coyote in there, but she's still a dog.

An aloof personality doesn't mean she's "wild", per se. Trust me, I've met some "wild" acting dogs in my time, but they weren't part wolf, coyote, or anything else. Your dog isn't a wild animal. The fact that the shelter was able to capture, touch and feed her in that video is proof enough.

When I look at Acacia's eyes, I see a dog's eyes.

If I had to guess I would say that she's between 2 and 3 years old. Probably on the younger side.

When I was a kid, I had a dog that looked almost exactly like Acacia. I raised him from a puppy. Unfortunately I was really young so there are no surviving photos of him today. I have a home movie tape with him on it somewhere. He was simply a Shepherd mix, and we got him as a puppy when I was about 6-7. Black short fur, white spot on chest (he had a white tail tip also), long skinny legs, HUGE ears. But he was full dog. His name was Alex.

You don't know how a shelter dog will behave because you didn't raise it yourself. It seems kind of foolish to just deem a dog part wild animal because it's shy and has features that somewhat resembles one.

I could have said that my rescued dog Max was part wolf because he had an agouti color to parts of him, small rounded prick ears, was a master at hunting vermin and would sleep outside during snow storms, but I didn't because I knew it wasn't true. He was a certified Canine Good Citizen and registered therapy dog.

Max
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Those pics of Tazzy and Totem are adorable.

As for Acacia, I've looked at all her photos and try to see any kind of coyote in her,but I haven't found any. Her face,muzzle, ears, all say Kelpie and/or Shepherd mix. I don't think she has coyote,wolf,or any other wild animal in her personally. Her muzzle is too short, her eyes too dog-like in shape and coloration, her ears too small for a coyote and in the wrong position for coyote ears. She also just has a domestic and doggy look to her that's hard to explain. She doesn't have the wild look that I see in pictures of coyotes or coydogs. More than likely, she was just a shy,unsocialized mixed breed feral dog. If she has any coyote in her at all, I'd guess her to be a low-content coydog at best.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Acacia's owner hasn't posted here in a very long time. I assume they have since left the board altogether.
ucrjedi

Postby ucrjedi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 pm

sarajeku wrote:Acacia's owner hasn't posted here in a very long time. I assume they have since left the board altogether.

Actually, I do check up every now and then but I don't always post because I don't want to get into an argument with anybody. I like really like this site though and will continue to check up to see new posts.

caninesrock wrote:Those pics of Tazzy and Totem are adorable.

As for Acacia, I've looked at all her photos and try to see any kind of coyote in her,but I haven't found any. Her face,muzzle, ears, all say Kelpie and/or Shepherd mix. I don't think she has coyote,wolf,or any other wild animal in her personally. Her muzzle is too short, her eyes too dog-like in shape and coloration, her ears too small for a coyote and in the wrong position for coyote ears. She also just has a domestic and doggy look to her that's hard to explain. She doesn't have the wild look that I see in pictures of coyotes or coydogs. More than likely, she was just a shy,unsocialized mixed breed feral dog. If she has any coyote in her at all, I'd guess her to be a low-content coydog at best.

I do see that Acacia is not a coyote but I still think that she is a mix. I had a genetic test done and it showed that she is half dog but the other half could not be recognized by the test at all. I guess that doesn't prove anything really but the dog park where I go to has a lot of wild canids and a few wildlife experts who work with wolves mostly. The wolves, coyote mixes and the one dingo at the dog park always recognize Acacia as different and smell her for a long time in a very odd way that makes her uncomfortable. Everybody including the few people that actually work with wolves tell me that they think she is a coyote mix. So if you look at the genetic test which indicates that she is only half dog, her behavior (lived in my large yard for 2 months without coming inside and wouldn't even let me touch her for almost a year), her physical appearance, the reaction of other non dog canids to her and at the fact that literally everybody who sees her in person says that she is part coyote indicates to me that she is not fully a dog. Having done more research since my first post I can see that she is not a coyote. The shelter said that she is a Belgian Shepherd mix (other half could be Jindo but could be Coyote). If any of you were to actually see her in person you would see the constant wild look and how attune she is to everything. You can approach her while she is dead asleep and she will be gone before you make a second step. I've included a few pictures of her in the yard just for fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ucrjedi

Postby ucrjedi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Cindy23323 wrote:Sorry but that's not a coy mix, looks nothing like one. I recall you saying you adopted her/him from the shelter and that you just decided she/he was a coyote mix that they said she/he was just a mixed breed of dog which that's all she/he looks like.

Well, she does very much look like this other coyote mix that I saw on another site. The last picture is of the coyote mix doing the same stance that Acacia loves to do.

http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-50909-1.html
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:41 am

Those coyote collie mixes that are known to be mixes because they come from a breeder look nothing like coyotes either. I'm sure it's not easy to determine from a few photos.
ucrjedi

Postby ucrjedi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:46 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Those coyote collie mixes that are known to be mixes because they come from a breeder look nothing like coyotes either. I'm sure it's not easy to determine from a few photos.

Yeah, it's just a guess either way. Without an actual dna test that includes coyotes in the sample we really have no idea. None of the consumer dna tests check for wolf or coyote so that's why mine was left half blank I assume. Whatever Acacia is, I feel that she is special and others who have met her in person agree. Bottom line is that you can't tell one way or another what percentage of dog a canid actually is without a dna test. After all, most modern humans are at least 4% neanderthal. Here's a picture of Acacia when I just got her. She was super brown back then, which is why she was originally named Brandy by the shelter.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Whatever she is, she is very pretty. ;) You must feel very lucky to have her.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”