PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Jackals for pets?

Canines not listed on other forums: African Wild Dogs, Coyotes, Dingoes, Jackals, New Guinea Singing Dogs, Raccoon DOGS, ETC..

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kamal

Jackals for pets?

Postby Kamal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:39 am

Hey there!

I was just reading over the thread mostly to see pictures around and during it came to me the question.
Is it even possible to own and/or breed jackals for pets? I did see coyotes a lot, but nothing about jackals. Is there anyone maybe owning a jackal, or it is not possible? :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jackals for pets?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Yes people have them but I know people with the smaller jackals like black backed. They need lots of handling to stay tame and tame to only one person. They are not good pet material because of how hard it is to tame them. Most people lose the bond as it grows up and they don't really stay tame.
Kamal

Postby Kamal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Oh they are that hard to tame?
How they react?
Biting and trying to escape, or?

I admit don't know much about their behaviour but they are very elegant and pretty creatures and seen that thy are kept rare times as pets which just got my curious side active.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:48 pm

@TG: Is it all jackals or just the black-backed that are hard to tame? I'm interested in golden jackals,though they seem rather rare in captivity compared to black-backeds.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't know anyone with a Golden so I can't say for sure on that. They might be better. As a general rule larger of similar species tend to be better as there is less to prey on them in the wild so less instinct to telling them to run, don't let yourself get touched and grabbed.

Yeah Kamal it would be fear issues so trying to get away and might bite if grabbed. I actually haven't seen her post about the jackal in awhile so maybe he grew to be hands off eventually too.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:51 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:I don't know anyone with a Golden so I can't say for sure on that. They might be better. As a general rule larger of similar species tend to be better as there is less to prey on them in the wild so less instinct to telling them to run, don't let yourself get touched and grabbed.

Yeah Kamal it would be fear issues so trying to get away and might bite if grabbed. I actually haven't seen her post about the jackal in awhile so maybe he grew to be hands off eventually too.

Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I think the Goldens are around the size of coyotes,so probably bigger than black-backed and thus might be less fearful. They're also more social than black-backed as while black-backed live singly or in pairs, the Goldens live with the adult pair, atleast one helper yearling that was from a former litter of theirs, and the current litter of pups they have,so that might make them a better pet since they are more social in the wild.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:32 am

It is possible to domesticate Jackals, yes. In Europe, there was a tame jackal always roaming on the beach; named him/her Buchu, and he/she was being fed by tourists. Never seen such a friendly jackal! I believe I have a picture. I'll look better.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 am

"Domesticated" and "tame" aren't the same thing when talking about a wild animal, really. Lots of animals figure out people = food and will lose their fear of people to get it. Rhesus macaques are a prime example. They live around temples and are considered sacred in India, so they're allowed to roam free and make pests of themselves.

Have you heard of Sulimov Dogs? They're a cross between northern dog breeds and Jackals to make better bomb-sniffing dogs for airports.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Juska: I am perfectly aware of the different meaning of domesticated and tamed. It's the same thing for the Russian domestic foxes, who are actually domestic, and the American domestic foxes, who are, for the most, just very tame.

I did hear about the Sulimov dogs. I really wish to meet one, at one point. Off topic question, I haven't been able to find the number of chromosomes for the following specie (Dhole) so I can't say for sure if they can successfully breed with domestic dogs. If you have the answer, can you tell me? Also, is there any picture of a Dhole/Dog hybrid (if one mating ever happened)?
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm

They're endangered, I don't think you're ever going to see a hybrid.

And I was talking about how you stated wild Jackals are domesticated because they're tame enough to come near people and eat their food.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Elina

Postby Elina » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 am

In Europe, there was a tame jackal always roaming on the beach

I don't know much about Jackals but are any native to Europe? I have never heard of any but as I said I don't know much about them.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
sammys

Postby sammys » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:14 am

Elina, yes - the Golden jackals are in Europe also. There are a few of them in Croatia and also in my country (Slovenia) - it is believed that they are travelling here from the more southern Balkan areas (which is also europe :) )

I don't know about keeping them as pets tho....(I don't know of any case here - people just shoot them when they see them...)

Chase - dhole has 2n=78 chromosomes; the same as wolves (and dogs). however, they are in a different genus (Cuon vs Canis) so they are unlikely to hybridise....
There are no confirmed record of them hybridising (there were some unconfirmed claims tho), but I am not aware of anyone attempting to actually prove wether this can/cannot be done.
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for the information on their hybridization, Sammys.

Return to “Canines - exotic and wild”