PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tennessee

For a list of state regulations. Always contact your state department to verify legality! We do not make claims to this list being accurate though we strive for it to be. Changes in laws happen more frequently than we can keep up with and your regulators may interpret the law differently than we did.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tennessee

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Summary of Law: It is unlawful for persons to possess Class I wildlife. Class I wildlife includes the following orders: Primates (gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees, gibbons, siamangs, mandrills, drills, baboons, Gelada baboons only); Carnivores (all wolves, all bears, lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cheetahs, cougars); Proboscidia (all elephants); Perissodactyla (all rhinoceroses); Artiodactyla (all hippos and African buffalos); Crocodylia (crocodiles and alligators); Serpentes (all poisonous snakes); and Amphibians (all poisonous species). However, the state does not regulate private possession of species not listed above, such as monkeys and small non domesticated cats (ocelots, servals, etc.).
Citation: TENN. CODE ANN §70-4-401-§70-4-417

https://www.animallaw.info/administrati ... e-wildlife

linseylou wrote:I own 3 red foxes in tn, and it's fairly easy to get a permit as long as you get from an approved usda licensed breeder. You can call walter cook at twra and ask about the breeder you are interested in to see if they are approved. I know Michael fraizer is in bybee,tn and breeds and is obviously approved.that's where 2 of my babies came from. You can look him or me up on Facebook. Until 2015 it was next to impossible to get permit for reds, but now it's a matter of filing out the paper,finding an approved breeder before hand and sending in a yearly fee of $31

Quote:
70-4-401. Prohibited acts.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to possess, transport, import, export, buy, sell, barter, propagate or transfer any wildlife, whether indigenous to this state or not, except as provided by this part and rules and regulations promulgated by the Tennessee wildlife resources commission pursuant to this part.

(b) No person shall possess Class I or Class II wildlife without having documentary evidence showing the name and address of the supplier of such wildlife and date of acquisition.

Quote:
70-4-410. Propagation of Class I or Class II wildlife -- Permit.

(a) Before any person may engage in the business of propagating or otherwise obtaining Class I or Class II wildlife for sale, barter or trade, whether indigenous to this state or not, such person must obtain and possess a permit for each propagating location.

(b) Any nonresident who enters the state for the purpose of selling Class I or Class II wildlife species in this state shall also be required to purchase and possess a permit.

(c) All permits under this section shall comply with all provisions of the United States Code and the Code of Federal Regulations relating to exotic animals, their care, propagation, importation and sale.

(d) Artificially propagated wildlife may be propagated, sold, possessed, released or exported in accordance with the rules and regulations prescribed by the commission and, in the case of migratory birds, the regulations prescribed by the federal government.

(e) Only commercial propagators may qualify for a permit to propagate Class I wildlife and may transfer Class I wildlife only to persons or entities approved to possess Class I wildlife. First time commercial propagators shall have one (1) permit year to meet the criteria as defined in § 70-4-402(4). Renewal of a commercial propagator permit is conditional on the permittee having met the definition of a commercial propagator during the prior permit year.

Rules on holding wildlife
http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1660/1660-01/1660-01-18.pdf

Quote:
70-4-403. Classifications of wildlife.

Live wildlife, kept and maintained for any purpose, shall be classified in the following five (5) classes:

(1) Class I -- This class includes all species inherently dangerous to humans. These species may only be possessed by zoos, circuses and commercial propagators, except as otherwise provided in this part. The commission, in conjunction with the commissioner of agriculture, may add or delete species from the list of Class I wildlife by promulgating rules and regulations. The following is a listing of animals considered inherently dangerous:

(A) Mammals:

(i) Primates -- Gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees, gibbons, siamangs, mandrills, drills, baboons, Gelada baboons;

(ii) Carnivores:

(a) Wolves -- All species;

(b) Bears -- All species; and

(c) Lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cheetahs, cougars -- All species;

(iii) Order Proboscidia: Elephants -- All species;

(iv) Order Perissodactyla: Rhinoceroses -- All species; and

(v) Order Artiodactyla: Hippopotamus, African buffalo;

(B) Reptiles:

(i) Order Crocodylia: Crocodiles and alligators -- All species; and

(ii) Order Serpentes: Snakes -- All poisonous species; and

(C) Amphibians: All poisonous species;

(2) Class II -- This class includes native species, except those listed in other classes;

(3) Class III -- This class requires no permits except those required by the department of agriculture, and includes all species not listed in other classes and includes, but is not limited to, those listed in subdivisions (3)(A)-(Q). The commission, in conjunction with the commissioner of agriculture, may add or delete species from the list of Class III wildlife by promulgating rules and regulations:

(A) Nonpoisonous reptiles and amphibians except caimans and gavials;

(B) Rodents -- Gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, mice, squirrels and chipmunks;

(C) Rabbits, hares, moles and shrews;

(D) Ferrets and chinchillas;

(E) Llamas, alpacas, guanacos, vicunas, camels, giraffes and bison;

(F) Avian species not otherwise listed, excluding North American game birds, ostriches and cassowary;

(G) Semi-domestic hogs, sheep and goats;

(H) All fish held in aquaria;

(I) Bovidae not otherwise listed;

(J) Marsupials;

(K) Common domestic farm animals;

(L) Equidae;

(M) Primates not otherwise listed;

(N) Bobcat/domestic cat hybrids;

(O) Hybrids resulting from a cross between a Class II species and a domestic animal or Class III species;

(P) Cervidae except white-tailed deer and wild elk. Elk originating from a legal source while held in captivity for the purpose of farming shall be regarded as Class III wildlife. All other elk shall be wild elk and shall be regarded as Class II wildlife. No person shall possess elk in captivity within the eastern grand division of the state as defined in § 4-1-202 without having documentary evidence indicating the origin of the elk being held. This documentary evidence will be presented to the agents of the department of agriculture or the wildlife resource agency upon request. Sale documentation of offspring of purchased elk is not required; and

(Q) Furbearing mammals, including those native to Tennessee, raised solely for the sale of fur;

(4) Class IV -- This class includes those native species that may be possessed only by zoos and temporary exhibitors; provided, that rehabilitation facilities may possess Class IV wildlife as provided by rules established by the commission if authorized by a letter from the director of the agency:

(A) Black bear (Ursus americanus);

(B) White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus);

(C) Wild turkey (Meleagris gallapavo), including the eggs of wild turkey;

(D) Hybrids of a Class IV species other than bobcat shall be Class IV; and

(E) Animals that are morphologically indistinguishable from native Class IV wildlife shall be Class IV; and

(5) Class V -- This class includes such species that the commission, in conjunction with the commissioner of agriculture, may designate by rules and regulations as injurious to the environment. Species so designated may only be held in zoos under such conditions as to prevent the release or escape of such wildlife into the environment.

2015 update: http://share.tn.gov/sos/rules_all/2015/ ... 151022.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RULES AND REGULATIONS OF LIVE
WILDLIFE CHAPTER 1660-1-18
October, 2015 (Revised) 3
1660-1-18-.03 CLASSES OF WILDLIFE.
(1) The following species or groups of wildlife are added to the existing listing designated by
legislation as Class I:
(a) Hybrids resulting from the cross of two Class I species shall be considered Class I.
(2) Native species of wildlife are considered to be Class II unless specifically designated otherwise by T.C.A. §70-4-403 or rules and regulations authorized therein.
(3) The following species or groups of wildlife are added to the existing listing designated by legislation as Class III:
(a) All waterfowl species except those defined in Part I, Title 50, of the U. S. Code of Federal regulations as North American migratory game birds.
(b) Ostriches, cassowaries, caimans, and gavials.
(4) The following species or groups of wildlife are added to the group of animals designated by legislation as Class V:
(a) Nandaya or Black-Hooded parakeets (Nandayus nenday)
(b) Quaker or Monk parakeets (Myiopsitta monachus)
(c) African clawed frog- (Xenopus lacvis)
(d) All non-native freshwater aquatic life except the following:
1. Goldfish
2. Triploid grass carp
3. Salmon – all species
4. Species approved for fish farming
5. Fish, crustaceans, and mollusks held in aquaria. This exception does not apply to the following species which shall be regarded as Class V:
(i) Zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha)
(ii) Black Carp (Mylopharyngodon piceus)
(iii) Blueback Herring (Alosa aestivalis)
(iv) Ruffe (Gymnocephalus cernua)
(v) Bighead carp (Aristichthys nobilis)
(vi) Silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix)
(vii) Snakeheads (all members of the Family Channidae)
(viii) New Zealand mud snail (Potamopyrgus antipodarum)
(viv) Round goby (Neogobius melanostomus)
(x) Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)
(xi) Swamp eels (all members of the Family Synbranchidae)
(xii) Marbled crayfish (Marmorkreb) (Procambarus fallax f. virginalis)
(5) Hybrids involving two species from different Classes of animals shall be regulated as a member of the least restrictive Class involved, unless otherwise specified.

Return to “STATE LAWS”