Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67


For a list of state regulations. Always contact your state department to verify legality! We do not make claims to this list being accurate though we strive for it to be. Changes in laws happen more frequently than we can keep up with and your regulators may interpret the law differently than we did.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10587
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm
Location: Oregon, USA


Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:21 am

in summery exotics are non-domestic canines, felines, bears, primates, crocodiles and alligators and are banned as pets. You are exempt from the exotics law if you are USDA or a sanctuary as defined by the new code.

Red and grey fox do not require a permit as native wildlife as long as bought from a USDA licensed breeder but do require USDA under due to the exotic ban on Canidae.

All other exotic animals are categorized.
Domestic and unregulated there are no rules for owning them.
Regulated, you need a permit.
Prohibited, you can get a prohibited animal permit but it's harder to get because these are considered a threat to the wildlife if they escape.
Any animal not listed is treated as prohibited.

Raccoons are now banned unless you are USDA.

all animals from out of state need a health cert and import permit. excepting dogs and cats I think long as they have current rabies cert. ... imals.aspx
(5) No Wildlife Holding Permit is required to hold:
(c) Domesticated fur-bearing fox or mink(596.020 (2));

(1) Except as provided by Oregon statute or rule or letter of authorization, it is unlawful for any person to take, capture, hold, release or have in possession, either dead or alive, whole or in part, any wildlife listed in this section:
[click above to see full list]
(f) Mammals:
All bats in the Order Chiroptera, American pika, Pygmy rabbit, White-tailed jack rabbit, Chipmunk, Golden-mantled ground squirrel, Red squirrel, White-tailed antelope squirrel, Northern flying squirrel, White-footed vole, Red Tree Vole, Ringtail(Bassariscus astutus), Fisher (Martes pennanti)

Raccoon (Procyon lotor)and Skunk(Mephitis spp.), cougar, black bear and bobcat may only be held at AZA zoos.

635-044-0480, lists what animals from the wild can be held with a permit.

exotic laws
§ 609.305¹
Exotic animal defined

(1) Any member of the family Felidae not indigenous to Oregon, except the species Felis catus (domestic cat);

(2) Any nonhuman primate;

(3) Any nonwolf member of the family Canidae not indigenous to Oregon, except the species Canis familiaris (domestic dog);

(4) Any bear, except the black bear (Ursus americanus); and

(5) Any member of the order Crocodylia. [1985 c.437 §2; 1999 c.699 §3; 2009 c.492 §1]

§ 609.345¹
Exceptions to permit requirement
(b) A facility operated under a valid license or research facility registration issued by the United States Department of Agriculture pursuant to the federal Animal Welfare Act of 1970 (7 U.S.C. 2133 or 2136).

fish and wild life list of regulated, non-regulated, prohibited and domestic
remember anything not on the list is to be treated as prohibited
lists at bottom of page ... egrity.asp
The actual law
import rules
the site doesn't say but the vet issuing the health cert for import must call during the exam or you wont get an import number. ... main.shtml ... tics.shtml

OR code
It says you can keep wildlife from the wild long as not otherwise protected(but most things are protected in some way)

A few clarifications on current laws

Fox are now legal with a USDA
ODFW permitted wildlife rehabilitators can have fox for the purpose of rehab. Commercial fur farms can have fox for their business. USDA licensed facilities can have fox. No one can legally have a fox for a pet.

Carol Turner
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife - Wildlife Division
4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE Salem OR 97302
Telephone: 503-947-6303
Fax: 503-947-6330

Non-native foxes still fall under the current exotic animal law though that also states those with USDA can have the banned animals ... ng_faq.asp

Also see below, you can get a permit to hold prohibited exotic wildlife if you can meet their standards

Requirements for Importation and Possession of Live Wildlife

For species, subspecies or hybrids listed as Prohibited or those species not yet classified, a permit will not be issued allowing the importation and possession of live wildlife, except to American Zoo and Aquarium Association (AZA) accredited facilities, colleges, universities and those facilities which can demonstrate compliance with standards as provided in OAR 635-056-0050(2). For species, subspecies or hybrids listed as Controlled, an importation permit may be required as set forth by the commission. For species, subspecies or hybrids listed as Noncontrolled, no ODFW importation permit is required. (note: you still need an Agr import permit)

(2) The department may issue a permit for the importation, possession, sale, purchase, exchange or intrastate transportation of prohibited species and those species not yet classified if the department finds that the following standards have been met:

(a) The facility is constructed to minimize escape of prohibited species;

(b) There are adequate security and safety programs and procedures which minimize the possibility of escape;

(c) There is adequate record keeping to aid in tracking of confined animals or recovery of escaped animals;

(d) There are adequate procedures, equipment and trained staff to maximize capture of escaped animals;

(e) Adequate veterinary care is provided to identify and minimize the spread of diseases; and

(f) The applicant has a good reputation for care of animals and compliance with the wildlife laws.

(g) Using forms provided by the department, persons or entities may apply for a permit under subsection (2) as follows:

(C) Others. To apply for a permit, persons and entities other than universities, colleges and AZA-accredited facilities shall submit:

(i) A completed application form; and

(ii) A completed Prohibited Species Questionnaire.

(h) Satisfactory facilities inspections may be required prior to issuance of any permit." onclick=";return false; ... 5_044.html" onclick=";return false; ... 5_056.html
(3) "Commercial Fur Farm" means any operation which raises captive fox (Vulpes vulpes or Urocyon cinereoargenteus) or mink (Mustela vison) for profit and possesses 10 or more animals.

635-056-0000 definitions

Rehab permit info ... /index.asp

I had ignored that before but it allows for those who had an animal with USDA who loses it or quits to get a state permit. So a person could eventually retire safely. Under the state permit you are subject to their inspections though so you're just trading USDA license and inspection for the same deal from local but no longer having to exhibit.

Return to “STATE LAWS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest