PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

North Dakota

For a list of state regulations. Always contact your state department to verify legality! We do not make claims to this list being accurate though we strive for it to be. Changes in laws happen more frequently than we can keep up with and your regulators may interpret the law differently than we did.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

North Dakota

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:22 am

http://www.nd.gov/ndda/program/animal-i ... quirements
You need to talk to the state vet in N Dakota about importation.
http://www.nd.gov/ndda/program/animal-health

https://www.nd.gov/ndda/animal-health/n ... -livestock
Summary of Law: Skunk and raccoon prohibited. Most foxes are category 2, others are not listed. Category 1, 2, and 3 of nontraditional livestock may be possessed in the state after obtaining an import permit; a nontraditional livestock license; a certificate from a veterinarian. Category 3 is those species that are considered inherently dangerous, including bears, wolves, wolf hybrids, primates, all non-domesticated cats except Canadian lynx, and bobcat and have extra requirements.

In North Dakota, non-domestic animals are classified into three categories of Non-Traditional Livestock.

Category 1 animals are those species generally considered domestic, or other species that are not inherently dangerous, that do not pose a health risk to humans, domestic or wild species, and do not pose a hazard to the environment as determined by the board. Category 1 includes turkeys, geese and ducks morphologically distinguishable from wild turkeys, geese, and ducks, pigeons, mules, donkeys, asses, ratites, chinchilla, Guinea fowl, ferrets, ranch foxes, ranch mink, peafowl, all pheasants, quail, chukar, hedgehog, and degus.
Category 1 species do not require nontraditional livestock licensure, but must otherwise comply with laws and rules of the board. Owners of pheasants, quail, and chukar are required to obtain a Permit to Possess, Propagate, or Domesticate (PPD) according to North Dakota Game and Fish Department regulations. The PPD permit is issued through the Animal Health Division of the North Dakota Department of Agriculture.

Category 2 animals are certain protected species or those species that may pose health risks to humans or animals or may be environmentally hazardous as determined by the board. Category 2 includes all nondomestic ungulates, including all deer and pronghorn, nondomestic cats not listed in category 3, waterfowl, shorebirds, upland game birds not listed in category 1, crows, wolverines, otters, martens, fishers, kit or swift foxes, badgers, coyotes, mink, red and gray fox, muskrats, beavers, weasels, opossums, prairie dogs, and other ground squirrels.
Owners of category 2 species must maintain nontraditional livestock licensure. A Permit to Possess, Propagate, or Domesticate from the North Dakota Game and Fish Department is required for some category 2 species. The PPD permit is issued through the Animal Health Division of the North Dakota Department of Agriculture.

Category 3 animals are those species determined by the board to pose special concerns, including species which are inherently dangerous or environmentally hazardous. Owners of category 3 species must maintain nontraditional livestock licensure and are subject to additional housing and care requirements. A Permit to Possess, Propagate, or Domesticate from the North Dakota Game and Fish Department is required for some category 3 species. Category 3 includes the following species and their hybrids:

Wild species of the family suidae (any swine not considered domestic in North Dakota by the board)
Big cats, including mountain lion, jaguar, leopard, lion, tiger, and cheetah
Bears
Wolves and wolf-hybrids (any animal that is part wolf)
Venomous reptiles
Primates
Non-domestic sheep and their hybrids and non-domestic goats and their hybrids

Exempt animals

Farmed elk are exempt from non-traditional livestock regulations because they are regulated as domestic animals under state law; however, farmed elk requirements are very similar to farmed deer requirements in regards to requirements for facilities, importation, identification, and reporting. For more information on Farmed Elk and other Cervidae...

Unless the state veterinarian determines it is necessary based on disease incidence information or human health or safety concerns, the following species are exempt from non-traditional livestock requirements and importation requirements:

Arachnids
Amphibians
Invertebrates
Non-venomous reptiles
Tropical freshwater and saltwater fish
Gerbils
Guinea pigs
Hamsters
Mice rats
Sugar gliders

Nontraditional livestock not otherwise referred to in this section or Century Code must be reviewed by the board for determination of importation requirements and licensure requirements prior to importation

Deer have special requirements for import and possesion.[/quote]

North Dakota Administrative Code §48-12-01-02
North Dakota Administrative Code §48-12-01-03

Red Fox info
w0lfygirl wrote:Alright! I called the state vet today and got the information I needed. I decided i'd post it here in case any one else ever wonders since there isn't much here on the forum about owning them in ND.
She said that [red fox] are class 2, so a permit is required, but she said it's not hard to get at all, and it has a 15 dollar annual fee, and she said that goes for whether you have 1 fox or 7 because it goes by species, not for each individual animal. She said that for importing they need to be checked by a vet with an import number, and that they need to have identification through a chip or tattooing.
She asked if I wanted to keep it indoors and I let her know that when, if, I own a fox, i'll be building it an enclosure outdoors. She said that for keeping it outdoors, it has to have a concrete base so that it can't dig out, and that the top needs to be covered somehow. She said that otherwise the only requirement for keeping them indoors is having a kennel like a dog crate to put them in when they're not running about inside.

Return to “STATE LAWS”