Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

UGH - Smooshed faced chihuahuas

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

UGH - Smooshed faced chihuahuas

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:03 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8586244 ... 1303812475

No chihuahuas are not meant to be smoosh faced. Stop it.

May as well be a French Bulldog :(
Ana

Re: UGH - Smooshed faced chihuahuas

Postby Ana » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:22 am

Don't these people understand that these smushed faces are creating breathing conditions?
Good grief.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 am

Yeah and chihuahuas can have problems already even without the smooshed faces. They are prone to "reverse sneezing" because their soft pallets are too long. Beaker's is shorter than I'm used to already and he gets hot really easy for a white dog.

I've seen the trend in chihuahuas to have shorter noses over the years and don't like it. I'm a fan of the traditional deer type chihuahua but even for an apple head this is overly extreme. That doesn't even look like a chihuahua any more.
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:20 am

All of this 'designer dog' nonsense is grotesque and decadent to me, particularly when we're killing
literally millions every year for simple lack of a home. :/
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 am

Almost all small dogs, save for some terriers and the Italian greyhound, are brachycephalic. We commonly think of pugs, pekes and French bulldogs as brachycephalic, but pomeranians and chihuahuas are, as well.

^ These dogs are all brachycephalic (the chihuahua, severely so).
These paintings below show small dogs with real, long faces. We think because they are small, they naturally get larger brains and smaller muzzles, and that's true only to an extent. These apple-faces (or human baby faces) above, are bred for purposely.

My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:31 am

My chihuahua Sugar has a somewhat smushed face and she reverse sneezes a lot. Guess we got her from a bad breeder, I was too young so don't really remember.

I like the applehead chihuahuas but not the smushed faces. Can appleheads safely be bred without any of these severe health problems, or are appleheads simply unhealthy?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:46 pm

The original chihuahua was the deer type chihuahua with a longer nose, think taco bell chihuahua. They came from hot areas where they had to keep cool so had longer muzzles and bigger ears. Applehead has been around a long time too but it's being taken to extremes. They shouldn't be smoosh faced but yeah the appleheads have always had shorter noses but they should still be there.

They all reverse sneeze but ones with longer muzzles are going to be able to cool themselves better and the reverse sneeze not be as extreme. I think appleheads can be healthy and it's the actual AKC standard, just not when the muzzle is really smooshed. I think they went for the rounded head to help distinguish them from terriers.

This is more how appleheads should be not smooshed

But deer type will always be my favorite

From the 1940's

Oh my but they cropped his ears

Non-extreme apples

From early 1900

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:13 pm

I like the non-extreme applehead. I wonder if the non-extremes have any health issues.

I'm assuming deerheads are a lot healthier. Too bad the AKC doesn't allow them... I wish the AKC would opt for health > appearance.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Yeah they allow long and short coat so why not deer and apple but maybe as separate breeds, like they have large and small poodle breeds. So they could have two chihuahua breeds. The deer type used to be most prolific and popular before the AKC standard went apple head.

The old AKC book I have in the standard does call for apple domed head but moderately short muzzle. Seems to me many breeders and even show judges just kept going for short as can be instead.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but I personally don't mind the brachycephalic breeds... I feel like if they were their own "species" you would just take care of them according to their needs. In other words, don't let them outside on a hot day, don't work them too much. I think the problem is, is that people try to treat all dog breeds the same. Little lap dogs aren't meant for hard work so also don't have a need for strenuous activity. They're also INDOOR dogs and should not be outside for extended periods of time. I don't think an animal with specific needs is necessarily an unhealthy animal.

Of course, we know there are breeders who are pushing the short snout thing to the extreme, and I do think those are a problem because then even in good indoor conditions the animal suffers with breathing problems.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”